View Full Version : What is this called?

teresa
09-29-2007, 07:38 PM
I was watching some of the Michelle Kwan videos under the barefoot thread. Michelle did forward cross strokes at one point but crossed her free foot behind her skating foot while going forward. What is this called? Just another version of cross strokes? Any tips if I try?

Thanks,

teresa

Award
09-29-2007, 07:57 PM
What is this called? Just another version of cross strokes?

hmmm...not sure. I thought that was just a typical cross-over. In cross-over sequences, each skate is used alternately to drive you.

phoenix
09-29-2007, 09:47 PM
In ice dance it would be called a cross-behind slide chasse. But in the midst of a FS program, it's just a nice piece of choreography. ;)

teresa
09-29-2007, 10:02 PM
It's not crossovers. The cross-behind slide chasse sounds like it might be right. I've done slide chasse's of sorts and it looks sorta like this. Thanks for the input. I'm going to give it a try next time I skate.

Thanks phoenix and Award. =-)

teresa

Sessy
09-30-2007, 04:47 AM
Crossovers crossing behind the skating foot are called a "buitenwaartse" (outside-edge) "chassee" in the Netherlands. I'm not sure of the correct translations for chassee, some of what we call chassee seems more like what you call progressives and some is chasse...
Anyway it's actually easy to learn, just pull your toes up from the ankle so you don't catch the toepicks.

teresa
09-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the tip Sessy. I'll be sure to remember toes up. =-)

teresa

Mrs Redboots
10-01-2007, 01:12 PM
The term "closed chassé" is also used, I believe.