View Full Version : Novice Foxtrot

double3s
09-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Anyone know if there is a diagram of Novice Foxtrot online anywhere? Yes, I did google, and didn't find one.

No one at my rink (I'm in the states) seems to know this dance, and I'd like to learn it out of curiosity, and just to have another warm up exercize for some variety.

Thanks!

sk8_4fun
09-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Anyone know if there is a diagram of Novice Foxtrot online anywhere? Yes, I did google, and didn't find one.

No one at my rink (I'm in the states) seems to know this dance, and I'd like to learn it out of curiosity, and just to have another warm up exercize for some variety.

Thanks!

dont take my word for it but I think there are 2. One is the same as the dutch waltz and one is tighter with one lobe cut off each end.
I only know because thats the one I competed in the night before last and some of the competitors did a different pattern to the one I'd been shown.

fsk8r
09-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I tested my level 1 cd on tuesday so should know this one. it's a free pattern dance, so as long as you do progressive run, swing on the same lobe and then repeat on the next lobe you just go around the rink doing that.
My coach did insist I did a sort of pattern but only to demonstrate edge control. that meant I did 3 lobes down the first side, diagonal to opposite hockey circle at the end, steep edge back for the next side, 3 more lobes, which takes you into the near corner at the other end, then restart. Hope that makes sense. But all the other coaches just teach it without the pattern and there doesn't seem to be a problem with the judges with that.

Mrs Redboots
09-30-2007, 08:01 AM
It's also known as the Prelim Foxtrot (its old name), and there is a pattern here (http://www.geocities.com/samanthaiceskater/knsbvoortests) (Scroll down).

dooobedooo
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM
As previously mentioned, there are two main patterns to this dance:

1. Similar to Dutch Waltz
2. Similar to international Foxtrot

The first ("Dutch Waltz") pattern can be a tight squeeze unless in an Olympic size rink (30m x 60m), but may be more useful if skated simply as an exercise. The second ("international Foxtrot") pattern seems to be done mainly at NHL size rinks (25m x 50m), and also acknowledges the international Foxtrot as a dance, so may be better in a dance interval. Both patterns are used.

This dance, if done with a partner, is in Killian hold, but it can also be done solo. Steps are LFO/RFI run to barrier (beats 1,1 beats), LFO swing through to and away from barrier (beats 2 with leg back, 2 with leg forwards); then RFO/LFI run and RFO swing through; repeat. It does make a fine exercise, focussing on presentation, crisp run with good extension, and down in knee rising up for swing through with good extension and toe point.

There are also two styles of body position for this (depending on instructor/rink/judges):

1. With contrabody (ie. upper body faces forwards parallel to barrier throughout, even though lower body and feet curve round with edges)
2. Without contrabody (ie. upper body stays in line with edges as you curve round)

Mrs Redboots
09-30-2007, 02:11 PM
There are also two styles of body position for this (depending on instructor/rink/judges):

1. With contrabody (ie. upper body faces forwards parallel to barrier throughout, even though lower body and feet curve round with edges)
2. Without contrabody (ie. upper body stays in line with edges as you curve round)
And, as an exercise, it's not a bad thing to be able to do both!

The dance is deceptively simple - only runs and swings - but you can have great fun getting a really steep edge into the corner with a partner you trust to get you out of it again. Mind you, I knew one skater, back in the days when you had to do the dance solo as part of your Prelim dance test, who spent six months working on getting round the corner without changing edge (not easy!), and then the judges stopped her before she even reached the corner, as they (there used to be two judges in those days) had seen enough and were ready to pass her! She wasn't best pleased.... although, of course, delighted to pass.

sk8_4fun
09-30-2007, 03:26 PM
And, as an exercise, it's not a bad thing to be able to do both!

The dance is deceptively simple - only runs and swings - but you can have great fun getting a really steep edge into the corner with a partner you trust to get you out of it again. Mind you, I knew one skater, back in the days when you had to do the dance solo as part of your Prelim dance test, who spent six months working on getting round the corner without changing edge (not easy!), and then the judges stopped her before she even reached the corner, as they (there used to be two judges in those days) had seen enough and were ready to pass her! She wasn't best pleased.... although, of course, delighted to pass.

Oh boy I hate that corner, I wish the judges had stopped me BEFORE I nearly wiped out the other night! It's taken weeks of work and under pressure my legs just didn't bend and I was inches away from kissing the ice! lol :mrgreen:

samba
09-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Mind you, I knew one skater, back in the days when you had to do the dance solo as part of your Prelim dance test, who spent six months working on getting round the corner without changing edge (not easy!), and then the judges stopped her before she even reached the corner, as they (there used to be two judges in those days) had seen enough and were ready to pass her! She wasn't best pleased.... although, of course, delighted to pass.

Exactly what happened to me, at first I thought they had failed me having stopped it so soon, so I was quite relieved when they shook my hand. It looks like a simple dance but I had seen loads of people fail on it on previous tests so there must be a lot that can go wrong.