View Full Version : How good does it make you feel to compete?

FSWer
09-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Say,I don't think this thread has ever been done before. But I would love to know from all you On Ice Skaters how good it makes you actually feel to compete?

Mrs Redboots
09-29-2007, 06:13 AM
It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Mind you, half the time I come off the ice in floods of tears. But I still love it, really.

Muskoka Skater
09-29-2007, 07:37 AM
I love the feeling, I sort of feel a little scared, worried, then excited, and anxious to show the world I really can do (and maybe win:halo:)!!

herniated
09-29-2007, 07:07 PM
It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Mind you, half the time I come off the ice in floods of tears. But I still love it, really.

You said it Mrs. R:bow: My thoughts exactly!!!

xofivebyfive
09-29-2007, 09:24 PM
It's really exhilarating. I only did it twice, but I loved the nervousness right before the warmup, and then freaking out waiting to get on for my program. And once the music starts, you really forget that people are watching and you just automatically do your steps. It's really weird. The feeling I get when I finish and leave the ice, regardless of how I did... you can't put a description on that.

TimDavidSkate
09-29-2007, 10:38 PM
It's really exhilarating. I only did it twice, but I loved the nervousness right before the warmup, and then freaking out waiting to get on for my program. And once the music starts, you really forget that people are watching and you just automatically do your steps. It's really weird.

It is such a overwhelming feeling, at times I just want to curl into a ball until everything is over... But I get told by myself, its too late, youre name's already on it, just do it :twisted:

doubletoe
09-30-2007, 12:57 AM
I hate competing! 8O But I love being DONE competing so I can stop being nervous and just enjoy seeing all my skating friends and watching the rest of the competition! :mrgreen:

Rusty Blades
09-30-2007, 04:23 AM
I had the skating dream when I was young, that I wanted to become a competitive skater and shoot for big time competition, but I didn't start until I was 14 so obviously I was never going to catch up to the girls who started younger. At 19 I wrecked, when off to college, got married, and forgot about skating.

At the ripe old age of 56, after decades of flying a desk and getting chubby and lazy, I remembered skating and decided to try it again. In January 2006 I bought a pair of skates and discovered (to my horror) that skating ISN'T like riding a bicycle - I had to start all over again from the beginning.

Some online skating friends talked me into trying for the Canadian Adult Nationals the following spring and, with more enthusiasm than common sense, I made that my goal!

After only 14 months on the ice, my "skills" were pretty much limited to edges and a few turns but off I went to do an Interpretive at Nationals.

Now I am basically a shy person around strangers and not at all a "show-off" but some strange transformation comes over me in competition - I become a ham! - and I took to the ice with absolute confidence. I skated terribly (I over-did the morning practice and forgot to stretch before my event!) but I didn't let that shake my confidence.

When the music ended and the crowd started to applaud and throw stuffies, I couldn't have been more proud and happy if I had just won an Olympic Gold! I even got a nice compliment from one of the judges.

At 57, I fulfilled my childhood dream of skating in a National competition and that's something I will be proud of for the rest of my life.

Am I going back to C.A.N. next year? You be'cha! I'll keep going back until they take the blades off my walker! 8O

Raye
10-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Dianne, I saw your Interpretive at C.A.N. and it was NOT TERRIBLE!. You are much too hard on yourself and I applaud you for going after and grabbing onto your dream!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I personally love competing. Kind of a cross between Mrs Redboots and xofivebyfive.

On skates, I am as much a ham as Rusty Blades.

I am a total competition junkie and have been to 32 competitions in the past three years.

Rusty Blades
10-04-2007, 11:54 AM
On skates, I am as much a ham as Rusty Blades.

She IS, I saw her! 8O ;)