View Full Version : Klingbeils and Harlicks

miraclegro
09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Had Harlicks before, and they fit so snugly my feet would be red after skating.

My new Klingbeils seem to have more room across the toes, and this pair has been made 2nd time bc/ of trouble with my problems with the first pair. I like the boots, but has anyone else noticed a big difference in the snugness of the Klingbeils compared to the snugness of the Harlicks?

vesperholly
09-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Had Harlicks before, and they fit so snugly my feet would be red after skating.
That means they're too tight.

My new Klingbeils seem to have more room across the toes, and this pair has been made 2nd time bc/ of trouble with my problems with the first pair. I like the boots, but has anyone else noticed a big difference in the snugness of the Klingbeils compared to the snugness of the Harlicks?
My most recent Klingbeils (3 years old) have more room across the toes for sure. They seemed especially to have room on top of the toes. I think mine were made a tad too long - I even went up .25" in blade size. But I got used to it, and I tried on my old Klingbeils and they seemed way too tight in the toes comparatively.

I went from a miserable pair of Harlick customs to a fantastic pair of Klingbeil customs. The second pair of Klingbeils weren't quite as good as the first, but I still love them. I just wish they were a bit lighter.

miraclegro
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Sorry, i forgot to say that i LIKED the Harlicks being that snug b/c my foot is so narrow i felt more secure in them....

miraclegro
09-27-2007, 04:48 PM
And yeah, there is a lot more room across the toes! That is even weirder! The blade size is the same for the Klingbeils as was for the Harlicks...

WeirFan06
09-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I've never owned Klingbeil, but I live close to both the SPTeri and Harlick manufacturers, so when my mother went to buy me my high school graduation present (10 years ago!!)... my pair of skates that I STILL use... we decided to just pick from what we had in our "backyard." Everybody told her that Harlicks run narrower than just about any other brand of boot, unless you get customs of course, and then it doesn't matter. I have wide feet, so we went with the SPTeri's, but it turned out my freak feet needed customs anyway. But yeah, I think Harlicks are like the Nike of the skating world... they just run narrow, whereas Klingbeil/SPTeri might be like, a New Balance or something. More roomy.

Could you wear a sock with the new pair? It probably wouldn't let you feel the skate as much as your used to, but it would be more snug.

miraclegro
09-27-2007, 05:56 PM
No, i won't wear socks with them. I wear trouser (very thin) socks. And i FORGOT to mention both pairs of skates are customs.

doubletoe
09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
From everything I've seen and heard, the consensus seems to be that Harlick has the narrowest/pointiest toe box (except for their new alternate style, which has a wider toe box), SP Teri has a roomier/rounder toe box, and Klingbeil's is the roomiest. I've heard before that Klingbeil has more height in the toe box as well as width, and my friends who have switched from Harlick to Klingbeil all comment on how weird it feels.

jskater49
09-27-2007, 07:06 PM
My daughter wears the round toe Harlicks that work really well for her. She has narrow feet but her toes are almost as wide as her heel. But Harlick does seem to run narrow.

j

cecealias
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi anybody happen know what stock model harlick recommends for skaters landing up through double lutz and less than 130lbs.?

TreSk8sAZ
09-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I switched from custom Harlicks to Klingbeils. The width across the toes was a HUGE difference for me. Not only wider, but taller. It didn't help that my boots were also too long by a bit, which is why they're in NY right now and I can't skate. We've had to replace the tongues, replace the insole (too slippery) and now rip out the inside, redo the padding and the heel lock, and hopefully that will push my foot forward enough I won't notice the difference in length or the room in the toes.

I'll definitely be returning to Harlicks when these break down.

Virtualsk8r
09-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi anybody happen know what stock model harlick recommends for skaters landing up through double lutz and less than 130lbs.?

Harlick Finalists usually......check out the Harlick website for more detailed information, and if you can't decide - give them a call. I've always found them really helpful!

jskater49
09-28-2007, 08:49 AM

I don't know about what Harlick recommends but that describes my dd and she wears the High Testers.

j

daisies
09-28-2007, 01:52 PM

Hi-Testers. I'm in the 115-120 lbs. range and had a pair of Hi-Testers that lasted seven years with me landing through double loop. Now that I don't do doubles anymore, I wear the Competitor Plus and have had the same pair since December 2001.

IMO the Finalists are WAY too stiff for doubles and for how light you are.

ibreakhearts66
09-30-2007, 01:55 AM
i just got my new klingbeils (switched from harlicks) and also noticed the exact same. it kidna weirded me out at first, i was actually afraid my skates were too big, but i've skated in them twice and its been fine. the seam of my harlicks used to rub my big toe sometimes, and even separated the cuticle from the nail for a while, so i'm glad that i'm not having issues with that anymore. all in all tho, you will definitely get used to it, maybe even like it!

vesperholly
09-30-2007, 04:19 AM
i just got my new klingbeils (switched from harlicks) and also noticed the exact same. it kidna weirded me out at first, i was actually afraid my skates were too big, but i've skated in them twice and its been fine. the seam of my harlicks used to rub my big toe sometimes, and even separated the cuticle from the nail for a while, so i'm glad that i'm not having issues with that anymore. all in all tho, you will definitely get used to it, maybe even like it!
You know, now that I think about it, I used to get really bad ingrown toenail problems with both of my big toes several years ago. I haven't had toenail problems in at least two years. I've had my Klingbeils for three years. Coincidence? I think not! :)