View Full Version : Makeup for testing?

CaraSkates
09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
So, since I spent 4 hours at a test session today, I was just curious, if you wear makeup to test? I noticed a lot of skaters today not wearing makeup for moves but then applying it for their freestyle tests. I tested Pre-Juv MIF (and passed!!) and wore natural brown eyeshadow, a little brown eyeliner, pink blush, a touch of black mascara (I have long lashes...only they are blond!) and a little pink lipgloss. I am a 17 year old girl..I also did a friend's makeup (Pre-Juv MIF, 13 yo girl) and did the brown eyeshadow, blush and lipgloss. She's lucky enough to have dark lashes!

I think it looks nice to have a little makeup, just to show that you put some effort into looking nice (for the record, I also had my hair in a nice neat bun. ditto friend) and presenting yourself. Obviously I would wear more makeup at a competition. This was little enough I felt very natural looking, but that my eyes stood out a little and I had color on my cheeks (I'm VERY fairskinned...).

Opinions?

Skittl1321
09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Congratulations on passing your test!

I did not wear make up for either of my tests, though I did make sure I had a very neat bun, gelled and sprayed all my wisps into place (even put off a haircut so that I would be able to have a nice bun). I, however, do not wear makeup at all during my daily life.

My freeskate, however, was not to music.

If I was doing a program to music, in costume, I would consider makeup part of the costume. Which might be why skaters wore makeup for freeskate and not MITF. Though I've heard things about "test" dresses and "competition" dresses, all the girls at the test session I was at this weekend wore their program dresses for the tests- and makeup. Most girls doing moves, as you noticed, didn't have makeup on.

I didn't really notice the pre-pre girls wearing makeup for their freeskate- but I wasn't really looking.

So my answer- for a program, in costume= makeup. In just a plain dress, I'd wear what you do normally to look presentable. For me, that means no makeup. Many teens and women don't ever leave the house without a little.

jskater49
09-25-2007, 04:34 PM
I wear make up anytime I want to look nice. My daughter makes up the same for a test as for a competition. But she always fights with her coach and me about lipstick. She hates lipstick and thinks it makes her look like a clown. It doesn't. It looks nice to have a little color. But I do think it's funny for a mom and teenage girl to argue about make up and the mom wants her to wear more :)

j

Sessy
09-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah I do makeup, I also dye my hair. Bit of a thing I picked up when dancing, I guess.

SynchroSk8r114
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I always wear make-up when I skate, even for practice. Haha, call me crazy, but I'm a total girlie girl and love playing with the different colors and looks while keeping it looking natural. No clown make-up here! ;)

When I test, I usually wear make-up that makes my face pop so that I have some kind of expression. For me the basics include:
- False eyelashes topped with two coats of mascara to make them blend in with my natural lashes
- A neutral, slightly shimmery lip gloss/lipstick. I usually go with a shade of peach or a pale rose that gives a hint of glimmer without looking like I've got anything on
- Eyeshadow that matches my dress; however, I try to keep it conservative, so usually it's a light purple to make my green eyes catch your attention; a pale, shimmery brown; or a twinkly white
- Blush, again peach or rose-colored, depending on my overall look/mood
- Absolutely no nailpolish! If I wear it, it's an extremely nude color (almost undetectable) or a clear top coat that adds that polished look

I've always had to wear make-up when I tested or competed, so I'm used to it. As a kid (around 11-12), my coach required me to wear blush and lipstick for a little color so that I wasn't going on the ice looking like a ghost. Nowadays, my coach requires that I wear a brighter lipstick to show off my smile and give me some expression. And, she insists that I look polished...okay, "perfect" because we've got some judges in my area who will not pass you if your hairs not glued to your head neatly in a bun, your make-up's not on, or you've got over-the-boots tights on. As petty as it sounds, looking your best and put together shows that you care about how you're perceived, which is - let's face it - much of testing.

CaraSkates
09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
So my answer- for a program, in costume= makeup. In just a plain dress, I'd wear what you do normally to look presentable. For me, that means no makeup. Many teens and women don't ever leave the house without a little.
I wear makeup probably 95% of the time. There's always those days where I'm just too lazy! or don't care... Of course, I was away for four weeks this summer at a pre college program, no a/c, 90+oF and 6+ hrs of classes a day (plus getting up at 4:30 to skate..), and I almost never wore makeup then.

I've always had to wear make-up when I tested or competed, so I'm used to it. As a kid (around 11-12), my coach required me to wear blush and lipstick for a little color so that I wasn't going on the ice looking like a ghost. Nowadays, my coach requires that I wear a brighter lipstick to show off my smile and give me some expression. And, she insists that I look polished...okay, "perfect" because we've got some judges in my area who will not pass you if your hairs not glued to your head neatly in a bun, your make-up's not on, or you've got over-the-boots tights on. As petty as it sounds, looking your best and put together shows that you care about how you're perceived, which is - let's face it - much of testing.
Yup, I'm big into looking "perfect". No ponytails for testing (at least, not if your hair is long enough for a bun), all the little flyaways hairsprayed and clipped, matching scrunchies, neat looking makeup, either polished skates and clean laces or over the boot tights (I was lazy this morning, didn't want to polish my skates when I need to get new boots anyway). Almost everyone in our area tests moves with a warmup jacket on. Some wear gloves, some don't. For moves, I always wear a dark dress (navy or black), my navy rink jacket, and if I wear gloves, either beige, black or navy.

SynchroSk8r114
09-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Almost everyone in our area tests moves with a warmup jacket on. Some wear gloves, some don't. For moves, I always wear a dark dress (navy or black), my navy rink jacket, and if I wear gloves, either beige, black or navy.

Oh, I forgot about the gloves! I never ever wear gloves, nor do I allow my students to wear them. Warm-up sweaters must be dressy zip-up sweaters in usually a solid black (or darker color) or the zip-up fleece jackets for our rink/club, depending on whether they're competing or testing. I only let the rink fleeces be used for competitions. (Gotta represent! ;))

The only time I was ever allowed to wear gloves and a sweater while testing is when I was about 13 and was taking a test at an outdoor rink in the middle of February at night! It was seriously about 20 degrees outside and at that temperature, my coach didn't care what I was wearing to stay warm. The goal was to not freeze and stiffen up!

badaxel
09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Congratulations on your test!

I never wear makeup when I test or compete. I do my hair nicely, and plainly for a MIF test (basic ponytail), and add a cute tie for competitions and FS tests. I'm just anti-makeup, I guess. I didn't even wear any for my wedding!

jp1andOnly
09-25-2007, 06:05 PM
I wear makeup on a dialy basis, so if I test, its per the norm. For a competition, I put on more noticable stuff. For a freekskate test, I wear my competition dress if it's ready. For skills or dance its usually a skirt with a fleece/zip up to stay warm.

I always wear gloves..competition and test. I make sure they are new and have no holes and that they are either nude colour or match my outfit. I can not not wear gloves as my hands scrunch in a ball and twist at weird angles, no matter how long I practice without them. I went for over a month practicing without them until my coach told me it would be better to have matching gloves as my weirded out hands were too much of a distraction...hehe. I agree!!

sk8tmum
09-25-2007, 06:15 PM
DD gets madeup for competitions and tests, as it helps her.

First, her coach is adamant that all hair be back off the face (i.e. no bangs) and that it be neat and under control; thus, I have an amazing assortment of gel, lacquer, etc. Also, the "norm" here is for glittery hairspray - !

If you don't make the effort, at least in our area, then, you end up looking like - well, it's sort of like going to a job interview, and finding out everyone else is there in a suit and heels, and you're in jeans and running shoes. It's not a good first impression.

When she assumes her "test/competition" face (eyeliner, blush, sparkley stuff on eyes and that) - it helps her to move into a focus that this is, indeed, a test or competition. I know that it also helps her with shyness, in the same way that putting on character makeup can help for getting on a stage and performing.

SynchroSk8r114
09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
I know that it also helps her with shyness, in the same way that putting on character makeup can help for getting on a stage and performing.

Nothing beats hiding under my fake eyelashes when those intimidating judges are starin' me down, hahaha! :lol:

WeirFan06
09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
I've never worn makeup for a test. Especially moves. My un-proven theory (but it works for me!) is that the judges are looking at my feet and not my face. Good thing, as they would be looking into the face of fear! :giveup: I usually just wear a ponytail (... which REALLY irks my secondary... aka "adult" coach.. he HATES ponytails) and a nice dress. I've only taken a total of 6 tests (2 freeskate and 4 moves), but I haven't failed any of them due to looking like a "ragamuffin" as my mother used to say, lol, so I guess the ghastly ponytail and no makeup is ok.

RinkRat321
09-25-2007, 07:09 PM
i usually don't wear makeup when i test. I'm terrible when it comes to footwork and such, so i'm usually trying really hard to focus, warm up and just not screw up so makeup is usually the last thing on my mind, but thats just me.

jskater49
09-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh, I forgot about the gloves! I never ever wear gloves, nor do I allow my students to wear them. Warm-up sweaters must be dressy zip-up sweaters in usually a solid black (or darker color) or the zip-up fleece jackets for our rink/club, depending on whether they're competing or testing. I only let the rink fleeces be used for competitions. (Gotta represent! ;))

The only time I was ever allowed to wear gloves and a sweater while testing is when I was about 13 and was taking a test at an outdoor rink in the middle of February at night! It was seriously about 20 degrees outside and at that temperature, my coach didn't care what I was wearing to stay warm. The goal was to not freeze and stiffen up!

My daughter was recovering from a severe reaction to an antibiotic and still had signs of a nasty rash on her shoulder. The coach explained the situation to the judges and asked permission for her to wear her sweater for her test.

I'm all for looking nice, but sometimes I think it's a bit much when you have to ask permission to wear a sweater...:roll:

j

icedancer2
09-25-2007, 08:38 PM
The first time I tested some dances after being off the ice for 20 years I put on a little makeup. My coach took one look at me and said, "More makeup!!!" and made me go back and really lay it on because the lights can really wash you out. I don't know if it helped, but I passed!!

Another time I went to test a dance I got dressed up, put on some makeup and did my hair and people didn't recognize me!! I thought it was hilarious when I went up to one of the coaches on the warmup to ask him a question and he looked and me and said, "Oh my god, I didn't recognize you - I was wondering who you were!"

I usually try to put my hair up as well - another time I tested I was going on the ice and my coach (a different one this time) - said, "Your hair is coming apart" - I was like, "Oh well I can't deal with that right now (and he didn't care) and so I went out with my hair kind of all over the place. I still passed.

I really really think it is important to have clean boots and new or clean laces - it really bugs me when people don't pay attention to those little details. Gloves or no gloves, sweaters or no I don't pay as much attention to (as a judge) - it's COLD out there and sometimes I wonder about these girls with their sleeveless/backless dresses on test day - I'm cold FOR them!!!

Thin-Ice
09-26-2007, 04:18 AM
I tested Pre-Juv MIF and passed!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Also at the rinks where I skate, moves tests are usually taken in nice practice dresses and skaters often wear gloves and sweaters (our rinks are pretty cold compared to the outside temperatures) with daytime/street make-up and hair. In a couple cases, we've had judges tell skaters to please go put on a sweater/gloves if they have them for a moves test, if the skater is wearing a backless/sleeveless dress and the rink air is foggy. Freestyle tests are nearly always taken in costume with slightly lighter-than-competition make-up, and hair is done as if for a competition. If a skater is taking moves and freestyle tests fairly close together, skaters usually wear the competition dress with a jacket or nice sweater over it for the moves test(s).

jenlyon60
09-26-2007, 07:55 AM
A couple of the rinks my club uses for tests tend to be very cold, especially in the winter. We've also asked skaters to put on a jacket so they won't get cold.

I'd rather see a warm skater who can move better (because they're comfortable) than a skater going without the jacket (because they were advised to do so) then being cold and stiff. End result of a cold stiff skater is often a sub-par test (because their body is chilled).

CaraSkates
09-26-2007, 08:10 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Also at the rinks where I skate, moves tests are usually taken in nice practice dresses and skaters often wear gloves and sweaters (our rinks are pretty cold compared to the outside temperatures) with daytime/street make-up and hair. In a couple cases, we've had judges tell skaters to please go put on a sweater/gloves if they have them for a moves test, if the skater is wearing a backless/sleeveless dress and the rink air is foggy. Freestyle tests are nearly always taken in costume with slightly lighter-than-competition make-up, and hair is done as if for a competition. If a skater is taking moves and freestyle tests fairly close together, skaters usually wear the competition dress with a jacket or nice sweater over it for the moves test(s).

Thank you!! Also thanks to everyone else for your congratulations! I was so happy to pass, I wasn't sure about my power pulls..

Anyway, Thin-Ice, this sounds like the three rinks I've tested at! I actually wore a competition dress (My Dress) (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/skatebuys_1967_3620400), but since I wore my fitted rink jacket (we have the GK Team Essentials jackets, not the fleeces like most clubs.) you only saw the black velvet panty and black georgette skirt. All three rinks are very cold and yesterday, even though I had been planning on not wearing gloves, I ended up wearing them. The moves tests ran much longer than planned and I was ready when I should have been but didn't end up testing till 45 minutes after the planned time and I was FREEZING. I skated first after the warm up and was still freezing (6 min warm up). Once I was done I went outside to thaw (Indian Summer here...90oF yesterday).

Schmeck
09-26-2007, 08:23 AM
My daughter has always worn gloves (new, white ones, or black ones) and a tight fitting warmup jacket for her moves tests. Brand new tights, clean white skates (or over the boot tights that have no holes in them) and her regular black practice skirt and she's good to go. Hair is pulled back in a ponytail, no makeup unless she's got a lot of breakouts, and definitely no false eyelashes. That would be very over-the-top around here, and people would look at you funny...

sk8_4fun
09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
If I might be allowed to go ever so slightly off thread, I am due to compete in my first dance comp tomorrow and wanted to ask for opinions on over-boot tights for dance. I heard someone at our rink saying that judges dont like OTB tights for dance???? has anyone come across this before???

Thanks in advance

Jayne

Skittl1321
09-26-2007, 08:50 AM
If I might be allowed to go ever so slightly off thread, I am due to compete in my first dance comp tomorrow and wanted to ask for opinions on over-boot tights for dance. I heard someone at our rink saying that judges dont like OTB tights for dance???? has anyone come across this before???

Thanks in advance

Jayne

My coach's rule of thumb is - short legs and small feet wear OTB tights. Big feet- don't. OTB tights are very common in our area- and I've seen dancers in them. Though there are very few dancers around here- so it's not a good sample.

I don't really care for them but I was made to wear them for my tests. I prefer footless tights that go over the hooks- but was told I looked "stumpy".

SynchroSk8r114
09-26-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks in advance

Jayne

Personally, I hate OTB tights, but that's just my opinion. One judge I know will absolutely not even consider passing a dance test if a skater has OTB tights on (or even ankle tights). Tights must be in the boot, skates polished, no laces flapping around. This is also the same judge who loves that "perfect, polished" look on skaters.

As with anything, there's pros and cons:

Pros:
Creates the illusion of longer legs
Produces a nice line

Cons:
Make big feet look bigger
Can slow you down on lunges
Screams 'Hey! Look at me! I've got tights on!'
Makes me wonder why you're hiding your boots (dirty? unpolished? an odd color?)

It's all up to you though. I'd definitely take the advice of my coach into consideration though! Good luck! :D

Skittl1321
09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
One judge I know will absolutely not even consider passing a dance test if a skater has OTB tights on (or even ankle tights). Tights must be in the boot, skates polished, no laces flapping around. This is also the same judge who loves that "perfect, polished" look on skaters.

While I understand that there is some mention of proper dress in the rulebook for competition- how can a judge refuse to pass a test based on this, when the rulebook makes no mention at all of not allowing over the boot tights, or requiring in the boot tights. The rulebook specifies edges, patterns, speed, flow, etc. In the boot tights aren't a requirement of the test. I can kind of understand it when a skater is not dressed for skating- ie. track pants and a t-shirt, but this just seems excessive.

It just seems a bit ridiculous.

jskater49
09-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Personally, I hate OTB tights, but that's just my opinion. One judge I know will absolutely not even consider passing a dance test if a skater has OTB tights on (or even ankle tights). Tights must be in the boot, skates polished, no laces flapping around. This is also the same judge who loves that "perfect, polished" look on skaters.

I'd make sure I never tested in front of that judge. That's ridiculis. And probably not ethical. And one of the reasons our sport has a bad reputation.

j

Morgail
09-26-2007, 11:32 AM
One judge I know will absolutely not even consider passing a dance test if a skater has OTB tights on (or even ankle tights).

Haha! Maybe that's why I failed two dances last spring! :lol: (No - it was really because I couldn't count!)
I love OTB tights because they hide all the scuffs and gouges in my boots. Polish makes my boots look patchy. (Plus I kinda like keeping the battle scars on my boots. Makes me feel like I've worked really hard!)

ETA: I've never known anyone around here to fail a dance b/c they wore OTB tights. Almost all the girls at my rink wear them for practice and for testing.

Anyway, I don't wear makeup on a daily basis (too lazy!), but I do for special occasions, including testing. I just put on some natural-looking makeup so I don't look washed-out on the ice. Powder, brown eye shadows, mascara, brown eyeliner, blush, and some non-flashy lipstick. Most of the teenagers and adults testing at my rink wear makeup for tests. The little girls might, depending upon how their parents feel about it.

And I wear a ponytail because I haven't yet figured out how to get my massively thick longish hair to stay in a bun without bobby pins. (Anyone have any tips on that? I'd love to wear a bun for testing...)

Skittl1321
09-26-2007, 11:53 AM
And I wear a ponytail because I haven't yet figured out how to get my massively thick longish hair to stay in a bun without bobby pins. (Anyone have any tips on that? I'd love to wear a bun for testing...)

You could ask a synchro skater to teach you to sew your bun.

But I wore bobby pins. I know I can't for synchro- but all the freeskate girls wear them, so I figured they must not be "against the rules" I've never lost one (I count how many go in and out!) but I've seen a couple fly off heads while spinning. I use as few as possible and make sure they are deep in the hair.

sk8tmum
09-26-2007, 11:58 AM
The bun thing: I've gotten to be an expert at this:

First, wet hair with gel works better than dry, because of the issues around flyaways, and because it "cements" into place ... but, the basic steps are:

1. brush hair to top of head, Secure with a ponytail elastic close and snug to the head. Try for the top, it's more secure than, say, the middle of the back of the head (plus you get this knob effect from the side if it's in the middle); or you can go for a low bun, at the base of the neck. Both are good aesthetically.
2. Coil hair, wrapping it around the base you've made with the ponytail holder.
3. Cover the coil with a BunHead or other hair net thing. Wrap it tight around the coil.
4. Use hairpins, not bobby pins, around the base of the coil. insert them where the coil hits the head. Bobby pins are BAD - they slide out - hairpins are GOOD - they stay in.
5. Finish with a spray of hairspray. You can wrap a scrunchy around if you want.

I had hair to my waist for years, now have daughters with same ... I do about 20 buns a week ... go figure.

Other tip: go to a dance supply store, they sell the equipment, they will demonstrate, and they even have these little handy-dandy picture guides to help you. Ballerinas do this constantly, so do "dance moms" like me.

Be sure to use a ponytail holder that is strong enough to hold your hair in; also, you can consider wrapping a ponytail holder around the end of the "tail" and having that as a secure anchor for a pin or two. Oh - google "ballerina bun" instructions, that will also help.

Skittl1321
09-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Bobby pins are BAD - they slide out - hairpins are GOOD - they stay in.

Must depend on the hair- I've had the exact opposite experience! (I have thick very curly hair- it's often impossibel to get it where I want it, but once it's there and sprayed I can take all the pins out after my performance and it will stay there until I wash it!)

daisies
09-26-2007, 02:26 PM
One judge I know will absolutely not even consider passing a dance test if a skater has OTB tights on (or even ankle tights).
That judge should be reported.

CaraSkates
09-26-2007, 07:22 PM

Ok, I have very thick hair and I wear a bun at LEAST 3 times a week. My hair is currently just past my shoulders, used to be 7inches longer. My bun technique (same for skating and ballet) is :

0.5. (optional, I use this if I need the bun to last 12 hrs at a competition, hot sweaty etc. Or if my hair is not cooperating!) Spray hair lightly with water, rub mega hold gel through hair.
1. Put hair in nice, smooth, tight ponytail (use matching elastics)where you want the bun (I prefer medium high).
2. Hairspray ponytail/slick flyaways back with gel.
3. Take hairnet that matches haircolor, wrap entire ponytail in it like a sausage.
4. Twist ponytail around the center elastic, secure with another hair elastic.
5. Take 2nd hairnet (I usually use a thin one first, then a thicker one), cover bun with it, twist like a hair elastic, cover bun again. Repeat till out of hair net.
6. Take hair pins (not bobby pins!!) and pin the bun flat to the head.
7. Clip up the wisps at back of neck with a flat matching color clip.
8. Hairspray again if needed.
9. To match dress (and prevent pins falling out), add matching scrunchie.

I can do this in about 5 minutes. The double hairnet prevents any layers/shorter pieces of hair from falling out. When my hair was longer, I could put it into a nice looking bun with two hair elastics and one scrunchie. Now, it's short and cute and layered, so I do the above. Still looks nice!

SynchroSk8r114
09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
That judge should be reported.

I agree with you, but she does pass some people. For instance, she's a real sucker for white, clean, polished skates; however, I have beige skates for synchro and tested dance in them and she passed me. So, I guess that while the appearance end of skating plays a large, it's not the make-or-break necessarily. Who knows...skating's very much personal preference.

While I understand that there is some mention of proper dress in the rulebook for competition- how can a judge refuse to pass a test based on this, when the rulebook makes no mention at all of not allowing over the boot tights, or requiring in the boot tights. The rulebook specifies edges, patterns, speed, flow, etc. In the boot tights aren't a requirement of the test. I can kind of understand it when a skater is not dressed for skating- ie. track pants and a t-shirt, but this just seems excessive.

It just seems a bit ridiculous.

Again, all personal preference, which yes...does contribute to the bad rap our sport sometimes gets. I mean, this judge doesn't write down on test forms, "OTB tights" as a reason for failing; however, we all know that the look plays a big part. I think that the majority of the time, her pass or retry results depends on the things you mentioned (edges, patterns, speed, flow, presentation, extension, etc.), but when she's failing someone, I think she takes it to the fullest extent and complains about everything!

Gosh, I'm really surprised that my little comment got so much reaction. This judge's way of judging has always seemed unethical, but much of skating is politics, and I accept that. I mean, if I do end up having to test with her, my coach and I know what she's looking for and we try to give it to her. Don't get me wrong - by no means am I condoning this sort of behavior...what I'm saying is that I try to make the best of this sometimes unfair situation by conforming to what she's looking for.

jskater49
09-26-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree with you, but she does pass some people. For instance, she's a real sucker for white, clean, polished skates; however, I have beige skates for synchro and tested dance in them and she passed me. So, I guess that while the appearance end of skating plays a large, it's not the make-or-break necessarily. Who knows...skating's very much personal preference.

Again, all personal preference, which yes...does contribute to the bad rap our sport sometimes gets. I mean, this judge doesn't write down on test forms, "OTB tights" as a reason for failing; however, we all know that the look plays a big part. I think that the majority of the time, her pass or retry results depends on the things you mentioned (edges, patterns, speed, flow, presentation, extension, etc.), but when she's failing someone, I think she takes it to the fullest extent and complains about everything!

So actually, she never said she would fail someone because of tights, that's just your suspicion. Sorry, but frankly, it's comments like that--stating your suspicions and opinions as facts about why judges make the decisions they do that cause as much, if not more damage to the sport, than actual bad judges.

Judges are allowe d to have opinions, but just because they say they don't like OTB tights, and then fail somene that is wearing OTB tights, doesn't mean the two are related. I'm sure there are instances of biased judging based on other things than skating, and I'm just as guilty as making up reasons other than skating to account for some strange results -- but I think most of that is urban myths and I don't think it's helpful to pass that kind of info along. It's one thing to say "Around here, most people don't wear OTB tights" - it's helpful to know what the culture is if you want to fit in. But it's confusing to skaters and their parents and unfair to judges and bad for the sport to say you know for a fact someone won't pass because of what they wear, when in fact, you don't that.

j

mikawendy
09-26-2007, 11:16 PM
For testing, I wear a little blush, some eyeliner, and lipstick (lip liner, lipstick, and a tiny bit of shimmery gloss dabbed on the full part of my lips). I don't do a full coat of gloss over the lipstick because then it gets too shiny--I just dab on and blend enough to make a bit of a sheen. I also use hairspray and hair gel in my hair. (For regular practice, I don't, but I have a lot of short flyaway hair and it looks messy for a test.)

I can't STAND wearing gloves and usually only wear them at long show rehearsals. I jump differently in them and I don't want to depend on them come test or competition time.

vesperholly
09-27-2007, 03:17 AM
I have to say ... I don't compete very often, but all this talk about test and competition prep is making me nostalgic for it! My very favorite part of performing, be it skating tests or plays and musicals (I was in drama club in HS), is the backstage prep. Styling your hair, applying your makeup, putting on the fancy competition dress ... :) Forget the performance, I want the accoutrements!

So actually, she never said she would fail someone because of tights, that's just your suspicion. Sorry, but frankly, it's comments like that--stating your suspicions and opinions as facts about why judges make the decisions they do that cause as much, if not more damage to the sport, than actual bad judges.
ITA. I trial judged for several years, and got to know most of the judges in my area. Even the most crotchety old-school judges tried hard to be fair to every skater. They were always sad for a skater who performed poorly and happy for them when a skater performed well. They love skating and want to see skaters succeed. Unless you're in that judge's mind, you don't know what they're thinking when they mark skaters. I bet this judge has failed immaculately put-together skaters with the coveted white boots, too. This is how skating gets a bum rap and you're really doing a disservice to the sport.

Sessy
09-27-2007, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by SynchroSk8r114 View Post

So what are you supposed to wear?

BTW over here it seems to be the tendency to test the lower tests (up till salchow-jump and 1-foot-spin) in, well, anything (long skirts and wide pants are forbidden, as are wide clothing which "conceal the movement of the body") and I know people who tested in sporting suits - and did very well, apart from the judges requesting they wear a skirt next time. But then the last test I tested, I did so in knee-length black leggins with black otb tights underneath and a black tank top, and I got no skirt comments from the same judge who told other girls to wear skirts...
But, up from all jumps and 3 basic spins on, everybody tests looking pretty. Which makes sense, cuz those tests are usually not at our home rink and the club doesn't pay for most the costs of those tests. When testing barely costs you anything and you test at your home rink, it's more informal (which I think the whole point of it is in the first place, to get the kids used to testing and nerves in a more homely atmosphere).

Thin-Ice
09-27-2007, 03:38 AM

I know what you mean about thick hair and bobby pins. My hair is slick and thick so bobby pins fall out almost immediately. When I skated synchro, where bobby/hair pins are not allowed, because of the hazard-potential, we learned to sew our hair into buns. It sounds ghastly... but all you do is double knot the thread, then start sewing around the outside of the bun, towards the inside. It usually took about a 2 feet of thread for my hair, because it seems to like to slide out.. but then I would finish it off with a good glossing of cheap hair spray (like Final Net) since the high alcohol content seems to make the hair stickier long enough to "glue" the thread to the hair. A teammate with the same problem preferred to use a sticky gel.

I also used a thread color to match whatever dress we were wearing, so it was easier to find part of the thread and cut it someplace and pull the thread out, rather than match it to my hair and spend the day looking for the end of the thread.

Morgail
09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank you Thin-Ice, CaraSkates, sk8tmum, and Skittl1321 for the bun tips!! Before my next test, I'm going to practice putting my hair in a bun:) One of those methods should work! I'm determined to have a bun for my next test:lol:

LilJen
09-27-2007, 11:11 AM
. . . and all the skatingforums.com men laughed and rolled their eyes at how much we women think about these things. . .

jskater49
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I have to say ... I don't compete very often, but all this talk about test and competition prep is making me nostalgic for it! My very favorite part of performing, be it skating tests or plays and musicals (I was in drama club in HS), is the backstage prep. Styling your hair, applying your makeup, putting on the fancy competition dress ... :) Forget the performance, I want the accoutrements!

I thought about that once when I was getting gussied up for a test ---who needs to date when you can have the fun of getting dressed up for a test or competition?:)

SynchroSk8r114
09-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Thank you Thin-Ice, CaraSkates, sk8tmum, and Skittl1321 for the bun tips!! Before my next test, I'm going to practice putting my hair in a bun:) One of those methods should work! I'm determined to have a bun for my next test:lol:

You can also purchase one of those little bun donuts, which give you a nice full bun. All you do is ponytail you're hair, slide the ponytail through the donut, flip your head upside down and spread your ponytail so that it covers the donut completely, secure that pseudo-bun with a ponytail holder and then wrap a hair net in a figure eight aroung the top of the bun and the bottom of it. Viola! A gorgeous, neat, full bun! It's what my synchro team does and it holds wonderfully! :D