View Full Version : another tights question

cherryliphoto
09-23-2007, 10:37 PM
I know there's been a lot of discussion about tights, but it's always subjective, and everyone has a different preference. so here's my question in order to get objective answers:

I'm looking for THICK, OPAQUE, MATTE, OVER-THE-BOOT tights.
what are your suggestions? brand and model? thanks!

I'm not in an area where I could just go to a skate shop and look around, I'll just have to order online.

peanutskates
09-24-2007, 02:01 AM
a little bump... I need tights like that, except STIRRUP over the boot ones... so those suggestions would be helpful (soz for hijacking your thread a bit, cherryliphoto)

liya_skatergirl
09-24-2007, 07:19 AM
my first and only pair of skating tights (usually wear REALLY THICK STOCKINGS) is mondor on ice OTB tights (Opaque Matte) and they've really worked well for me

cherryliphoto
09-24-2007, 08:01 AM
after furthur research, it looks like Mondor has 2 choices in the type of otb tights I'm looking for: the 3372 and 3396.
I can't tell the difference from the description nor picture nor prices. does anyone know the difference?

max
09-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I know there's been a lot of discussion about tights, but it's always subjective, and everyone has a different preference. so here's my question in order to get objective answers:

I'm looking for THICK, OPAQUE, MATTE, OVER-THE-BOOT tights.
what are your suggestions? brand and model? thanks!

I'm not in an area where I could just go to a skate shop and look around, I'll just have to order online.

If youre in the UK, you can order both of these from me on ebay. My skating shop is "Skating World" and I have both 3396 and 3372/4. Just search under shops for Skating World and we will come up.

Summerkid710
09-24-2007, 10:54 AM
The Mondor 3396 is the matte finish OTB.

The Mondor 3372 is the shiny finish OTB.

cherryliphoto
09-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks Max, I'll keep you in mind.
Although my question isn't so much where I can buy tights, as is what the best tights are for me. right now I still don't know the difference between the 3372, 3374, and 3396. but since you sell these, perhaps you could share your knowledge with us? =) thanks!
cherry

cherryliphoto
09-24-2007, 10:56 AM
thanks summerkid!!

airyfairy76
09-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Thought I would add to the tight search!

I prefer to skate barefoot and am wondering if Mondor (or other manufacturer) make stirruped IN boot tights? I don't trust footless tights without stirrups not to ride up over the top of my boot :lol:

techskater
09-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I go barefoot and wear footless tights over the top of my boots all the time without issue. They have elastic on the bottom and stay down nicely.

Skittl1321
09-24-2007, 02:42 PM

I prefer to skate barefoot and am wondering if Mondor (or other manufacturer) make stirruped IN boot tights? I don't trust footless tights without stirrups not to ride up over the top of my boot :lol:

I haven't found any skating tights that have stirrups in the boot. However I've seen dance tights that have stirrups (don't get convertable- those are footed with a hole on the bottom) This is my favorite brand of dance tights- http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_TI_p1.html - though I haven't worn their stirrups (I wore convertible). The pink are not shiny, I can't say about the others.

I also skate barefoot with tights that just go over the edge of my boots. I have never had a problem with them riding up- They do occasionally rip on the hooks- but I just patch them back up no problem

Summerkid710
09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Here's a full recap:
Mondor 3374 are heavyweight shiny stirrups
Mondor 3373 are heavyweight shiny footless
Mondor 3372 are heavyweight shiny OTB

Mondor 3393 are heavyweight matte footless
Mondor 3396 are heavyweight matte OTB
They do not make a heavyweight matte stirrup

Mondor does seem to make a wide stirrup microfiber dance tight that may work inside the boot. The item number is 361 but I don't have any experience with that one. They used to make a specific in the boot stirrup but I don't see it in their current catalog anywhere.

Convertible tights with the hole in the bottom aren't that bad to skate in. You get used to it. They make a convertible foot body tight (with straps) that eliminates that awful waistband line. I've either worn knee highs and worn the body tight like a footless or just dealt with it in the boot. It's really not that bad.

Mondor also makes these "Wellness" tights with vitamin E and other natural ingredients in the fibers to keep your legs smooth and moisturized. :lol:

Skittl1321
09-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Convertible tights with the hole in the bottom aren't that bad to skate in. You get used to it. They make a convertible foot body tight (with straps) that eliminates that awful waistband line. I've either worn knee highs and worn the body tight like a footless or just dealt with it in the boot. It's really not that bad.

The reason I suggested against the convertible tights is the OP says she skates barefoot. A Convertible tight will resemble a footed tight- not a barefoot. I don't mind the hole in it at all, I don't feel it- but I can't skate with my toes in tights, so if that is the OP issue, than it would not work. If she merely wants access to her feet (to pad blisters, adjust toe spacers etc) then convertible tights are fantastic. I do like the companies that put a seam around their convertibles- capezio just sergers them, and I don't care for that- it's more like a flap around the toe, than a small hole in the bottom under the arch- like body wrappers or gaynor midden. Still- all these dance tights will be thinner than skating tights.

Skate@Delaware
09-25-2007, 08:02 AM

the footless tights stay over the top of your boot. I have never had them slip!!! I pull them all the way down to the bend in my ankle, over the hooks. Maybe they help hold them down, i don't know. I also wear one size larger because I am against tight elastic-plus I dont get that "elastic line" with certain dresses.

Why don't they make them with better elastic in the waist?????? I don't like that tiny bit of elastic they use and wish they fit better in the waist...(I have a 27-inch waist and a mondor ladies L still squeezes).

jenlyon60
09-25-2007, 11:07 AM
The dance tights made by Mainstreet Dancewear give minimal scrunch-in at the waist. Very comfortable, IMO. Much more comfortable than the Mondor tights.

Otherwise, a trick that might work is to snip partway (halfway or a bit more) through the elastic waistband at a few points around the waist.