View Full Version : Blinkerz skate guards -- review?

helmetboy
09-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Has anyone tried those Blinerz skate guards? The ones that light up when you walk on them. Do they last?

Thanks,

helmetboy

littlekateskate
09-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Just a friendly bump :) I was curious as well.

flying~camel
09-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I have them and they're just as good as regular guards IMHO.

One of my friends who also has them had problems with the color (not the blinking light color, but the actual color of the guards) fading after wearing them just a few times.

SynchroSk8r114
09-23-2007, 07:42 AM
One of my friends who also has them had problems with the color (not the blinking light color, but the actual color of the guards) fading after wearing them just a few times.

Don't have them, but lots of the little kids at my rink do. I've heard that for the most part, they work fine; however, early in the production, a batch of Blinkerz was sent out that was defective. I guess the blinking lights weren't working, but the company found out and fixed them.

sk8tmum
09-23-2007, 08:10 AM
They're just your basic skate guards, the difference being that they have the lights in them.

Our complaints: they're expensive ... and they get stolen if you don't guard them with your life. Also, if you throw them in your skate bag and they're pressing up against anything, the lights keep blinking, which can look weird if the lights show thru the bag, plus, the batteries get run down.

We also regularly run our guards thru the dishwasher to get the grit and stuff out of the tracks; I'm thinking that I won't be able to do that with these, because it would likely fry the circuits (or not? I don't know, I would hope they're waterproof).

They do look cool ... we get lineups of 10 little girls wearing them in colours, all blinking, and it's improv-ice show time :D

slusher
09-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Little darling has a pair. They're to be used for going to competition only, so that when they're not on her feet, the coach is holding them. Anyone who has had them around here has had them stolen at the rink.

UDsk8coach
09-23-2007, 07:28 PM
I was skating in a show this spring, and people had the blinkers guards, and they were soooo distracting when we were walking back and forth "backstage" and while between our numbers to the locker rooms... everyone in the audience could look to the side and see us coming, lol

The only problem I've seen is that the blinking light part CAN FALL OUT! So just be careful (again, this occured while running between a dressing room and curtain call, and I was like, what is that blinking thing on the ground?!)

Anyway, I think they are cute!! I'd get a pair if my rink sold them :)

blackmanskating
09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Call me crazy but I think they are a little excessive!!! :?? I mean, I already have a Zuca bag with light up wheels. I think I'll stop right there with all the lights. I don't want to look like a human Christmas tree when I'm at a competition or if I'm walking around the rink. I'd rather keep it simple. But to each his own.

BlackManSkating

double3s
09-25-2007, 03:28 PM
We also regularly run our guards thru the dishwasher to get the grit and stuff out of the tracks;

hey! that's brilliant!
(runs to dishwasher)

Skittl1321
09-25-2007, 04:17 PM
I think they look super cute but 1) I'm super duper cheap, so I wouldn't buy them and 2) They are a bit "young" and I try really hard to make sure people realize I'm not 10.

Stormy
09-26-2007, 08:28 PM
ITA totally! If a 5 year old has the same blink guards that I do, what does that say about me? :) LOL! I'm actually not a fan of those Zuca bags either.

jak0203
09-27-2007, 07:12 AM
I've had two pairs. They work fine for a little while, but because of where they put the blinkerz in the guard, eventually your toepick breaks through which allows water to get into where the batteries are and then they corrode and get disgusting. And there's nothing you can do about it. You can't take that front one out because it's what supports your blade. It's kinda hard to explain, but I've had 2 pairs, my neice has had at least 2 pairs, and all of her friends have had them. Every single one has had this problem. It's way not worth the twenty-something dollars you have to pay.

blackmanskating
09-27-2007, 01:26 PM
ITA totally! If a 5 year old has the same blink guards that I do, what does that say about me? :) LOL! I'm actually not a fan of those Zuca bags either.

I don't blame you. Zuca bags are overrated. The seat is beneficial when the rink is crowded and there is no place to sit. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought the bag at all.

BlackManSkating