View Full Version : Layback spin from a 3-turn

miraclegro
09-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I am trying to get my layback spin centered and as fast/strong as it is when i go at it from x-overs. I have to do it from a 3-turn at the BEGINNING of my program and go into a backspin immediately afterward. I am scared to death if it is not centered i will not get that backspin, or worse yet, fall,

soo...any tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

SkatingOnClouds
09-23-2007, 03:14 AM
I am certainly no expert on this, but am using this entrance for spins a lot at the moment. At first I couldn't centre, but now it is better than from xovers.

For me, the important thing is to relax. Let the edge curl around and gently straighten the skating leg, not rush into the spin too early or come up too early and lock the knee.

Do you go into your layback immediately, or feel for the centre for a revolution or two before going into it?

doubletoe
09-23-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't do laybacks, but I use the RFI 3-turn entrance for all of my other spins and it works the same way. First, try it on a line on the ice, starting on the line, pushing out to the right, doing the 3-turn and returning to the line.

While you are still on the exit edge of the 3-turn, *look over your left shoulder* (this is key!) so you are looking ahead on the circle you are traveling on. Now step down onto the LFO edge and try to make the edge rounder than your 3-turn was, so that your circle gets smaller. The entrance edge to your spin should bring you back to the line again, so that between the RFI 3-turn and the actual spin entrance edge, you have made a complete circle like this: (|}

It helps a lot to count out "1-2-3" on each edge so that the 3-turn entry, 3-turn exit and actual entrance edge of your spin are all held for the same count of 3. It also helps to bend your knee deeply on the entrance edge for the spin, since that will make the circle rounder.

ibreakhearts66
09-23-2007, 06:28 PM
doubletoe just gave an excellent explanation for entering from a 3-turn (just so you know, i enter all my spins like that as well (except for flying sit) and it gives me so much more power).

so when you go into the backspin, it really won't matter if your layback was centered as long as you shift your weight and push into the spin. the thing to be most careful about, i would say, is that you make sure to step under your right hip when you push into the backspin (assuming you jump CCW). for me, the best way to get the feeling of this weight shift is going from a forward broken-leg to a back sit

kayskate
09-24-2007, 06:48 AM
I do my laybacks and other spins from a FI3 approach. If you are used to the back xover wind-up, try to use the FI3 approach first on spins that are easier for you like a basic upright. Then move on to an attitude spin and finally layback. You may progress more smoothly if you work in segments like this so you can adjust to centering from the FI3.

Kay

miraclegro
09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Doubletoe,

Does that 1-2-3 approach work with your camel spin as well? Some days that darn thing is SO good i amaze myself, and others, it is either rushed, or popped or just not even there. I may have to go back and see about that thought now.

doubletoe
09-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Doubletoe,

Does that 1-2-3 approach work with your camel spin as well? Some days that darn thing is SO good i amaze myself, and others, it is either rushed, or popped or just not even there. I may have to go back and see about that thought now.

Yes!:D In fact, that's why my coach first gave me the edge-counting exercise. Like a lot of people, I would unknowingly pop up a little early on my camel entry. After that, I realized that it worked for everything. Now I'm counting out my edges on the reverse sitspin from RFI edge and it's finally helping that as well.