View Full Version : 2007/08 StarSkate Technical Package

sk8tmum
09-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Skate Canada has just released the 2007/08 StarSkate technical package ... and they're restricting jumps now in the lower levels. Here is the link. Me, I'm very pleased to see this, it should make it a better playing field for skaters, by encouraging those who can land the more difficult jumps to move up to where they are permitted to do so. Your opinions?

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/ERIN/Technical%20Package%202007-2008.pdf

slusher
09-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I think that the USFSA should take notice.

I will be happy to never again see someone in pre-preliminary doing a double loop.

My thoughts on the changes to add jump limitations. Either:

Coaches will have kids test up or skate up in order to keep their doubles in their programs.

The other path to take is to take out the doubles and have kids skating completely clean programs with good GOE and winning medals, however if they're not pushing themselves in competition, that completely negates the talent id directive.

The fall recreational competitions are going to be massively interesting.

CanadianAdult
09-22-2007, 10:50 PM
...... waiting for the adult package............... waiting................waiting

sk8tmum
09-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes, fall s/b interesting.

There are still the "A" and B" categories, which have existed previously of course, limiting the jumps and that at pre-prelim and prelim; I can see the real change at the COSIC, EOSIC, etc, where, you're right, there are skaters landing double-loops in pre-prelim (with a flying camel, of course :?? ) - who have ended up going to Provincials over the heads of the kids who don't. I've always enjoyed seeing the sudden rush to test that 'second half' of the prelim/Junior Bronze F/S test on November 15+ - !

It's too bad it came out now, it would have been nice to have it in place for Autumn Skate and that, plus, yearly planning will now be affected for skaters, and programs, too.

twokidsskatemom
09-23-2007, 07:44 PM
I think that the USFSA should take notice.

I will be happy to never again see someone in pre-preliminary doing a double loop.

My thoughts on the changes to add jump limitations. Either:

Coaches will have kids test up or skate up in order to keep their doubles in their programs.

The other path to take is to take out the doubles and have kids skating completely clean programs with good GOE and winning medals, however if they're not pushing themselves in competition, that completely negates the talent id directive.

The fall recreational competitions are going to be massively interesting.

In the USFSA pre pre cant have doubles in programs.
And they have taken notice, in fact the changed the tracks maybe two months ago ? They have test comps and well balanced freeskate comps now. Test comps JUST have test elements included.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Levels.pdf

slusher
09-23-2007, 10:42 PM
from sk8stuff, test requirements for USFSA pre-preliminary test:
Waltz, salchow, toeloop, one foot spin

USFSA WBP freeskate competition: no more than 2 axels, spins different nature (flying).

USFSA Test freeskate competition: jumps up to and including lutz, no flying spins

Although creating a separate test stream is a good idea, the test competition requirements are still much higher than the test levels. Skate Canada has basically set the competition maximums one level higher than the test. This makes tests more meaningful. USFSA is competition/test two levels higher if not three. What's the point of testing?

It's too bad it came out now, it would have been nice to have it in place for Autumn Skate and that, plus, yearly planning will now be affected for skaters, and programs, too.

Yes, definitely bad timing. There's competitions in all the sections within the next month. D'ya think the judges will be up to speed? They're still getting experience handling IJS at Starskate, let alone new jump limitations.

techskater
09-24-2007, 08:07 AM
I saw an announcement for test level competition and Intermediate allowed only 2S and 2T (which are on the test), Novice only 2Lo (again, test level) so it really IS test stream.