View Full Version : Performance Anxiety? Preparation to skate well

SkatingOnClouds
09-21-2007, 03:34 AM
My experience is that once it is my turn to get out on the ice, I totally lose the plot. Even warm up, I go right into myself, don't warm up properly. Once it is my turn to skate, I am just so terrified. I have never skated well in a test or competition. This year I am determined it will be different.

Our rink doesn't have a warm up area or separate place where you can do stretches, run around or anything like that. The rink is jam packed. And I love to watch and encourage all the others and watch my daughter, who is a couple of classes before mine. (our comps include skate school basic level competitiors - I always joke my real job at competitions is cheer leader, leading the clapping because most of the time the audience don't know the kid skating in a 2 foot glide is an element and a real challenge for them).

Anyway, given the lack of separate warm up/change room/quiet area, any suggestions on the best way to prepare myself mentally and physically for that terrifying moment when it is my turn?

Rusty Blades
09-21-2007, 04:39 AM
That's a tough question because it depends so much on individual personalities.

During competition day I avoid negative thoughts like the plague! If I find a negative thought creeping in, I replace it with a positive.

At Nationals last spring, the rink was pretty busy and noisy but I was able to find a quiet spot outside, in the fresh air and sunshine, and spent a lot of my free time there with my iPod going through my program in my head a zillion times - not just the skating moves but how I was going to "present" each part of the program and how I would feel each moment. It may be a bit like Pavlov's dogs but you really CAN condition yourself to respond to the music by doing it enough times in great mental detail.

Although I am rather shy in normal circumstances, there is "a streak of ham" deep down inside and I want to do a GOOD performance when I get out there so I focus on being totally positive before performance. These people are here to see ME, the star of the show ( ;) ) and I go out there to act like a star. (Sure, I am "pretending" but that's what acting is all about and that's what is going on in front of the crowd and the judges - a performance!)

When it was time for my number, the coach asked how I felt. I told her "I am going to OWN this place for the next five minutes!" and I did! Sure, I skated like crap but the performance was great. (Now the coach is trying to figure out how to teach that attitude to her young competitors!)

Scarlett
09-21-2007, 05:32 AM
I have nothing to add as far as suggestions but just giving you some support in that you are not alone. I'm fairly outgoing but I am just a bundle of nerves when it comes to testing and competing. I will continue to test but I think my solo competitive debut may be my only showing. I would love to hear any suggestions from those who "worked through it."

Sonic
09-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Well I guess there are loads of different techniques and strategies, but I've got through competitions by a very simple method: postive 'self talk', using the adreneline to my own advantage.

From the second I step on the ice for a competition, I repeat to myself 'I LOVE to skate', 'I LOVE to skate'...over and over again. Sounds cheezy, but reminding myself that I skate because I love it helps me to keep smiling, and I come of the ice smiling.

It sounds silly, but for me, allowing myself to get completely stressed before the competition and in the warm up is a good thing - get all the negativity out of the system before the perfomance.

S xxx

TimDavidSkate
09-21-2007, 09:29 AM
For me I do a daily dose of mental visualizations :halo: (a complete run down in detail the moment I wake up to the practice/warmup to the 6 min warmup and the performance itself)

icedancer2
09-21-2007, 10:43 AM
I recently tested and really wanted to prepare myself mentally for the test - luckily the rink I tested at has locker rooms and I was able to get a key to the locker room and spend about an hour in there alone with my yoga mat getting ready, stretching, breathing, relaxing, visualizing a restful, peaceful place for myself.

Which I know you do not have (I have been in the room when it is crowded with excited/nervous testers and competitors and it is a zoo!) - so what I think really really helped me ultimately was that I also had an iPod glued to my ears for the hour before the test. I put some Mozart and a relaxation tape (well, CD -- Ocean Waves - you get the drift) and walked around with that when I had to be among people. I found I was in my own world. People would try to talk to me and I would point to the ear buds on the iPod and say, "Ocean Waves" - everyone thought it was funny, but it really worked.

At a recent competition I saw one of our top competitors and she was wearing her iPod and said that it TOTALLY helped her to relax before and during a competition.

Good luck and have fun!:bow:

chantelly
09-21-2007, 12:01 PM
It sounds silly, but for me, allowing myself to get completely stressed before the competition and in the warm up is a good thing - get all the negativity out of the system before the perfomance.

S xxx

I let myself well and truly get over the nerves before whatever it is I'm doing, I give myself a good three hours just to go mad. Its not even intentional, I just know that I WILL be sick before, I WILL want to murder someone and I WILL cry so I may as well let myself get over it and then I go all quiet about half an hour before, I can't talk to anyone, or I cry again! (funny how my coach isn't coming to my next comp I must scare him!) So yes, if you are they type of person who has to have the nerves, go with them, and do the positive stuff just before. I don't do the whole warm up normally either, I do what I need to do and get off about 20 seconds before the end so I'm not panicking about the end of warm up and getting out of breath either (I have awful asthma). Saying that the whole experience is getting easier slowly and I am starting to enjoy it. maybe! xx

peanutskates
09-21-2007, 02:18 PM
when I did a courtroom competition (in which I was a lawyer), before we went into the court, I just thought to myself, "It doesn't matter if you mess up, this is all just for fun, so don't worry even if you're rubbish" and I was fine. my partner in that was shaking as she was talking, but I was ok. so try that?

tell yourself that it's ok to mess up!

doubletoe
09-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I'll repeat what I posted in the other thread ("My skating dreams are being thwarted"), since it's the same thing I do for competition nerves:

Actually, I have found that it DOES help to be "pre-nervous." My body just gets so sick of being stressed out that a lot of times by the time I step on the ice for my test or competition I'm kind of over it.

I don't think the nerves ever really go away, but what you can do is minimize the effects a little, and also learn to skate through the nerves. Keeping your legs warm and moving before the test helps reduce stiff/shaky knees, and the fight-or-flight response that causes the jitters can be reduced somewhat with slow, deep breathing while you wait to take the ice (in for a count of 10, out for a count of 10). For the test itself, I have technique cue words that walk me through every move or element. Not only do they tell my paralyzed body what to do, but they also give my mind something to focus on at every moment during the test.

Also, if I don't have any place I can get into the zone, I'll either go to the bathroom or go find a quiet spot outside the rink. But I rarely need to do that, since it only really takes a few feet of space to create a bubble if you tune everyone else out and don't make eye contact.

Once I'm waiting to take the ice for the warmup (or for my own skate), I review my list of technique cue words, which I have written out on a small piece of paper. It's just like studying right up to the point when the professor starts handing out the test sheets and tells everyone to put everything away! ;) It reminds me of what I need to be focused on, since my brain would be totally scattered otherwise.

Mrs Redboots
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Not a bit silly - and you're a great competitor. You look good out there.

I let myself well and truly get over the nerves before whatever it is I'm doing, I give myself a good three hours just to go mad. Its not even intentional, I just know that I WILL be sick before, I WILL want to murder someone and I WILL cry so I may as well let myself get over it and then I go all quiet about half an hour before, I can't talk to anyone, or I cry again!
And then you go out there and skate incredibly well and we are all jealous! Wish I could skate as well as you - or as well as Sonic, for that matter (in free skating, anyway).

TimDavidSkate
09-21-2007, 05:38 PM
For me, the anxiety NEVER goes away. Even up to the last moments, I listened to countless of wave cd's and tapes, did everything else to take my mind somewhere else. But what I have learned and still trying to master is to control it. :halo:

dbny
09-21-2007, 08:50 PM
The last time I tested was the first time I had tested in over 30 years. For several weeks before, when I did my double run throughs, I would imagine that I was actually testing. My idea was to simulate the test situation in my mind, as I practiced. It did get my adrenaline going and I did get some feeling of nervousness from it. I don't know if it really helped, but I did OK on test day.

Emberchyld
09-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Since I haven't competed yet, I can only post from my experience in dance.

As an adult dancer at my school, we're automatically drafted into any and everything that the school might need... babysitter, caller, tutu repairperson, so there's really no time to "Get into the zone"-- the only time I really have to prepare is when I'm putting on my shoes/makeup or a few seconds before the performance.

What I've found works for me is reminding myself that I know what I'm doing, that if I mess up it won't be the end of the world, and to have fun! These past two years have been especially "easy" because (due to an injury) I'm reminded of how lucky I am that I still can dance and what a blessing it is... it put things really into perspective. It turns what used to be really scary into a celebration.

And I make sure to step aside and tell myself that before I perform and I now always say a little prayer of thanks that I get to do something I love... right before leaping onto stage :D

Thin-Ice
09-24-2007, 03:21 AM
I start preparing for a test or competition as soon as we start working on the new moves or choreography. I start planning exactly what everything will feel like as soon as I know what is expected of me. This is harder on moves... but I plan in spots to breath (on counts 1 and 5 in the 8-step mohawk sequence) and where to check my posture (after the turns on 3-turns in the field). For me, it's easier to just put in places to smile, breath, point my toe, flick my hands, whatever... starting from the very beginning of a program. In my Interp/Artistic program, I start with my back to the judges... and from the beginning, the turn to the judges includes looking right at them and smiling. I know it sounds strange, but if that's part of the program/move from the very beginning, even when you're nervous, it seems more likely to happen. Now I'm not saying even that is enough to make every program/test a raging success... but it does help to have things so ingrained they are automatically part of what I am doing. (And if by chance I get so nervous I'm practically brain-dead, I can go over the list of things that are supposed to happen, including breathing and smiling and bending my knees and holding up my head).

SkatingOnClouds
09-24-2007, 04:00 AM
... I know it sounds strange, but if that's part of the program/move from the very beginning, even when you're nervous, it seems more likely to happen. Now I'm not saying even that is enough to make every program/test a raging success... but it does help to have things so ingrained they are automatically part of what I am doing. (And if by chance I get so nervous I'm practically brain-dead, I can go over the list of things that are supposed to happen, including breathing and smiling and bending my knees and holding up my head).

Tee hee, it doesn't sound weird to me at all - we share a birthday???

Anyway, spoke with my coach a bit about my preparation, and she agrees I cannot stand at the rinkside watching everyone, that I must withdraw and prepare properly. She is trying to arrange a small room (normally used for kid's parties) to be available for off-ice warm ups and
mental preparation.

I think that the nerves hit me worst at that moment when I have to take to the ice. Maybe if I didn't distract myself by watching everyone else skate, I could face and move through that feeling before I go on.

11 days and counting.

je
09-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Sorry to be a little late to respond--I'm a bit behind in my reading.

Anyhow, this is a timely one for me, as I just dropped my application for my Adult Silver MITF test in the mail the other day. I'm totally in agreement with those who say to get out as much of the nerves ahead of time as possible. I'm a peer counselor, which means that at least once a week, another person and I take an hour each listening to the other and helping the other person feel and express whatever feelings we can. I've spent time in my counseling sessions saying (or having my counselor say) things like, "This is a complete disaster!" in a bright, cheerful tone. Makes me laugh really hard. And I've also spent time reviewing earlier times in my life when I've been under similar pressure, like piano recitals as a little girl, and tried to clean out the leftover feelings from then.

I wore my testing skirt to the rink to my lesson the other day, and just putting that on got me feeling nervous. (I usually wear pants.) I think I'm going to go ahead and wear a skirt every time I skate until the test and see how much I can scare myself!

The one last thing that's helpful for me to remember is that things generally go downhill right before the test. Some easy skill will go right out the window. It freaked me out the first time it happened, but now when it does, I just say to myself, "Oh good, everything's going according to schedule."

I've only taken low-level tests so far (2 moves, 1 freestyle, 6 dances), but I have been pleased with my nerves and performances on the day. I usually feel kind of wired, but not terrified.

Best of luck to you.

Johanna

jskater49
09-30-2007, 08:41 AM
I think one of the most helpful things for me with nerves was practicing my warm up. I used to need to skate a half hour before I would even try to jump - needless to say that doesn't work in a competition and I would be terrified in the warm up.

So a week or so before a competition, when I practice, the first thing I do when I step on the ice and I do my 4 minute warm up (carefully planned with my coach so I know exactly what I'm going to do) and then I do my program - without gloves. It is amazing what a difference that alone made.

j

miraclegro
09-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Okay, here's my new take on it! I still get nervous, but i really try to give some eye contact with the judges while skating; it brings them down to a human level for me, and i just got back from my Falling Leaves Competition, and for my Artistic program, i was almost sassy with my "At Last" song by Michael Bolton, and for whatever reason, my nerves were better.

When i went 30 minutes later for my Adult Silver Freestyle program, i really smiled at the judges right before beginning my program. Makes me feel better anyway. I figure they probably need something to break their monotony, too!

and..i got 2nd place for both and it's only my 2nd competion ever for USFS

Skate@Delaware
09-30-2007, 09:27 PM
I skate in my rink's ice shows and have been competing for the past few years-I still get nervous and butterflies!!! but, I've learned to channel it and play it down. I have a "routine" I go through. I know my routine, because I've been learning/tweaking it for the previous few months; I have done 3-4 run-throughs when I practice, so I know my stamina is good. The week or two before my first competition (which is actually my club's exhibition), I will have a "dress rehearsal" and my coach is there to watch. I do the whole she-bang-dress, hair, makeup! It's a competition simulation and my coach gives me good/bad feedback.

All this preparation helps calm down the nerves-I KNOW my routine; only once have I "blanked out" and had a bad skate where I did not know what to do next :oops: ! I warm-up in time, stay near my coach (or a friend if my coach is not there), and make sure I BREATHE!!!!

When I hit the ice, I've learned that I can skate around a bit before taking my spot-I use this time to breathe and lower my shoulders (so I look relaxed), I just make it look like I'm lining up for my spot!

My last thought before I pose? I'm there to have fun and it's my turn for a "solo moment"! Then I smile and try my best!

chowskates
10-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Anyway, spoke with my coach a bit about my preparation, and she agrees I cannot stand at the rinkside watching everyone, that I must withdraw and prepare properly. She is trying to arrange a small room (normally used for kid's parties) to be available for off-ice warm ups and
mental preparation.

I agree. You can watch most of the events, but leave time before your event to get yourself ready. Its nice that your coach will arrange a room for warm up and preparation.

My rink runs ISI competitions, and I coach & judge. Though I usually try not to judge events right before mine, I don't really have an option as to how my students' events are scheduled!

Good luck with your competition! :)

SkatingOnClouds
10-01-2007, 03:54 AM
I wore my testing skirt to the rink to my lesson the other day, and just putting that on got me feeling nervous. (I usually wear pants.) I think I'm going to go ahead and wear a skirt every time I skate until the test and see how much I can scare myself!

The one last thing that's helpful for me to remember is that things generally go downhill right before the test. Some easy skill will go right out the window. It freaked me out the first time it happened, but now when it does, I just say to myself, "Oh good, everything's going according to schedule."

Exactly how it's going for me now! with 5 days to go, I have started wearing a skirt to practise instead of pants, to get used to that.

I did something really dumb - got my skates sharpened and couldn't spin at all. Spent 1/2 an hour on Saturday morning rubbing a block of wood down them to blunt them, it worked enough so I could spin again.

And right on cue all my elements are deserting me, I'll be lucky to land a toe-loop, when I have a salchow/toe-loop/loop planned. Sit spin has gone so far off on holidays, it had to take my passport with it.

And yet I am feeling absurdly happy about it all. Instead of thinking nerves & fear, I am thinking excitement and anticipation. Whether that will carry through to Saturday night is another thing.

I need to plan every bit of my lead up to the skate. Doing my best to be mentally prepared and positive this time around.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

doubletoe
10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
That's great, Karen! Now that your elements seem to be deserting you (right on schedule, LOL!), it's a good time to try using key words to walk yourself through each one and remind yourself of the correct technique at each stage of the jump or spin. If you can figure out how to bring it back when you've lost it, then you don't have to be at so much at the whim of the Skating Gods. ;)

Mrs Redboots
10-01-2007, 01:20 PM
A couple of years ago we went to the Oxford Seniors competition the day after one of the competitors on Strictly Come Dancing (I think in the US you call it Dancing with the Stars) had been told to visualise all the judges stark naked.

As we all watch SCD when possible, of course, the comment went round the competitors like a dose of salts, and we were all very amused. I don't know whether the judges heard it or not.... arguably!

desabelle
10-01-2007, 03:56 PM
My club has Competition and Test simulations every month or so. During that time you get a warm up period, you wear the clothing you would wear to test day, and they put you on the ice alone with all the other skaters and parents watching to help you practice. They also select a panel of skaters/coaches to help give a little constructive critcism. It really helps loads.

I also agree with the ipod thing. I like to play something classical or relaxing followed by my program piece over and over and over, so I can relax, then visual in sequence.

Sometimes I like to bring a joke book or download some stand up comedy onto the ipod just to get a good laugh in. It really helps put things in perspective right before I get on the ice.

During my warm up, or my waiting time I repeat tons of overly exaggerated positive messages to myself just so I'm in a positive mind frame. This can include "I have the best ___ on the ice. I know I will do ____ amazingly well today. I am a FANTASTIC skater. etc" and then the second I step on the ice to compete I remind myself it doesn't matter what happens, as long as I try my hardest and have a blast.

I will definitely try the breathing/smiling into the routine technique though. Seems like it would work wonders!

SkatingOnClouds
10-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Well, the competition is over, and I have to say, all my preparation didn't help.

I was really pleased with my mental preparation and my skating preparation, right up to the night. And I was pleased with my warm up, I didn't clam up this time.

There turned out to be a competitor from another state, who was way better than me. I chose not to watch her at all, I wasn't there to compete against her, I was doing this for me, and I didn't need the pressure of seeing how good she was. On the night I sat in an adjacent area and didn't watch.

But as the competitor before me was on, I totally lost it. Total panic attack, tears and everything. Despite all my preparation, the feeling was "I'm not ready for this, I need more time". My coach finally got through to me, calmed me down, and I was at the gate ready when my name as called.

It was a nervous performance, with a few little glitches, but overall I am happy with how I went, considering the "performance" before I went on.

And I came 2nd, behind the really good skater. And that made me really happy. I have my little trophy which says 2nd place, but to me, 2nd sure feels like a win !!!

I have gone over & over in my mind as to why I lost the plot, how I could do things differently to avoid that terror. I cannot understand why it happens.

Next time I compete, I am going rinkside with a paper bag to breathe into for the hyperventilating, tissues for the tears, a support person to calm me down, Bach rescue remedy and any other remedy I can think of. If I can't prevent it happening, at least I can prepare for it. And maybe an over the top preparation for it will make me laugh enough to not do it.

tidesong
10-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Well as you said it is good that you did fine in the warm up. And despite the panic attack, it did probably help you to skate a little better since physically you were probably more warmed up than in previous competitions.

Its quite a fun thing for me personally as I also go through various nerve issues and at every competition I try to do things differently if they didn't work before!

And yes a support person to calm you down is good.

doubletoe
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Well, the competition is over, and I have to say, all my preparation didn't help.

I was really pleased with my mental preparation and my skating preparation, right up to the night. And I was pleased with my warm up, I didn't clam up this time.

There turned out to be a competitor from another state, who was way better than me. I chose not to watch her at all, I wasn't there to compete against her, I was doing this for me, and I didn't need the pressure of seeing how good she was. On the night I sat in an adjacent area and didn't watch.

But as the competitor before me was on, I totally lost it. Total panic attack, tears and everything. Despite all my preparation, the feeling was "I'm not ready for this, I need more time". My coach finally got through to me, calmed me down, and I was at the gate ready when my name as called.

It was a nervous performance, with a few little glitches, but overall I am happy with how I went, considering the "performance" before I went on.

And I came 2nd, behind the really good skater. And that made me really happy. I have my little trophy which says 2nd place, but to me, 2nd sure feels like a win !!!

I have gone over & over in my mind as to why I lost the plot, how I could do things differently to avoid that terror. I cannot understand why it happens.

Next time I compete, I am going rinkside with a paper bag to breathe into for the hyperventilating, tissues for the tears, a support person to calm me down, Bach rescue remedy and any other remedy I can think of. If I can't prevent it happening, at least I can prepare for it. And maybe an over the top preparation for it will make me laugh enough to not do it.

SkatingOnClouds, congratulations on working through the fear and skating much better than you thought you would! I think you are onto something with the deep, slow breathing. It really does help you bypass the panic. :) Sometimes it may be a case of two steps forward, one step back, but you will gradually get better and better at dealing with competition nerves. I am really proud of you!!!

Mrs Redboots
10-08-2007, 01:43 AM
I find deep, slow breathing is the key to conquering panic. I've learnt various "centring" breathing techniques over the years, and they really do help. As does Rescue Remedy.

Congratulations on a fine result, despite the panic.

Thin-Ice
10-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Congratulations on surviving.. and not taking the panic attack with you on the ice. Your trophy may say "2nd" -- but we all know it's a huge victory just to get out there and perform.. especially with "just a few glitches". This WILL get easier.. and the idea of over-preparing may be a good one... especially if you really over-do it and can make yourself laugh or at least take it a little easier on yourself. I agree with the other skaters, deep-breathing can reallllly help in that situation or any other where you have that "I HAVE to get out of here or I'm going to die" feeling. More oxygen to the brain is a GOOD thing.

Congratulations again!

techskater
10-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Congratulations in fighting through the fear!

My biggest suggestion would be to compete often and/or simulate competition experience as much as possible so that you can work through it. It gets easier the more you do it and even though you had a panic attack right before skating, ever other piece of preparation and even the performance was good. I recommend a good dose of daily competition visualization going forward from the minute you walk in the rink until you step off the ice. It does help!

doubletoe
10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Just stumbled across this article that explains why slow, deep breathing works to stop the fight-or-flight response (i.e., panic). It's a little long, so you might want to skim and read selectively.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A19953156

SkatingOnClouds
10-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Congratulations in fighting through the fear!

My biggest suggestion would be to compete often and/or simulate competition experience as much as possible so that you can work through it. It gets easier the more you do it and even though you had a panic attack right before skating, ever other piece of preparation and even the performance was good. I recommend a good dose of daily competition visualization going forward from the minute you walk in the rink until you step off the ice. It does help!

I agree, I think it would be better if I competed more often. This artistic comp is the only comp featuring adult divisions in our state this year, and I can't afford to go to the interstate comps (airfares, hotels etc) when my husband is already tetchy about the cost. I thought I had this one all visualised and prepared for, but evidently not.:roll:

Thin-Ice
10-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Can you have your coach simulate a competition setting? For example, have you come in in your costume, have you do a five (or however long yours is) warm-up then have you skate?

One rink I know of has critique days.. where skaters sign up to have judges come in and take a look at their programs. That may not be practical where you are, but at least simulate as much of a competition atmosphere as you can, including having an audience/judging panel, even if the people are family, friends, other skaters or other coaches.

Some people freak out when they put on the dress, some panic when it's just them on the ice, some just arriving at the rink knowing someone besides their coach is going to watch them. I freak out knowing MY COACH is going to watch me when I test or compete and I don't want to disappoint her. Can you pinpoint what it was that was your tipping point? Can you simulate going through that? When I started competing, I would get shaky as soon as I put on something that might be used for a test. So I started always wearing skating dresses and tights, going without gloves at least once a week, and doing "stage make-up and hair" at least a couple times a month. After a couple months of that, those things didn't bother me any more... then it was having people look at me. So my coach started out by having her then-five-year-old daughter critique my skating. It's hard to be scared of a five-year-old, but I was the first couple times. After I heard her say things like "you didn't jump very high" and "your leg was kind of hanging out", I realized at least when judges look at me, I don't have to hear that directly from them, they just put numbers by my name. The only way I was able to get "private ice" and deal with the nerves from that was to be the first one on the ice when the zamboni finished... and that of course only lasts 30 seconds. So my coach did reverse psychology. She had me practice on the busiest sessions we could find.. and then I was just SOOOO glad for private ice so I could actually skate my programs the way I knew I could without having to look out for people. I'm still working on the "not disappointing my coach" thing.. but she's pretty good about it. She just keeps telling me she'll still be my coach as long as I keep trying my best at that moment. She says the only way she'll drop me as a student is if I just stop midway through something and stop giving everything my best effort.. especially in a judged-situation. So far, it's worked.. she's been my coach nearly 15 years now... and we keep saying we'll keep at it until we're in our 80s. Sorry for the digression.

Anyway, if you can figure out what it is that set you off this time, maybe we can help you plan on how to desensitize yourself to that. Sometimes just talking about it helps. I also like your plan for over-preparing for the meltdown... and then laughing at your efforts.

Good luck!