View Full Version : Personal vent

Derek
09-19-2007, 02:46 PM
It is unusual for me to want to post over a personal issue I have had with another skater(s) over a period of time, but perhaps my experiences may encourage others to defend their right to ice.

Back in the summer, I had an unfortunate episode where a youth skated into me at speed when I was spinning, on an almost deserted rink (ie his action was intentional, to 'buzz' me). Result, he went down bigtime, and felt possibly embarrassed in front of his mates etc and started a vendetta against me in the form of cutting me up, throwing ice etc. I posted on this at the time. I did not report the issue at that time, as I hoped it would blow over, and when I visited the following day, major maintenance was under way, and the management were not available for a simple 'chat'.

Well this lad has been showing up at the same sessions as me, and today, he and mates were particularly annoying, deliberately goading me into retaliating, which, I certainly had no intention of doing. Finally, they started chopping into the ice with their blades in front of me, sending chunks in my direction, so I handed the problem over to the management, explaining that I would present a formal complaint if required.

First, the box office staff were excellent in patiently listening to my mutterings. Second, they already knew which skaters I was referring to, as they have been troublesome more than once.

The outcome was that they summoned the pair, and asked them to leave the building (within 15 minutes), with the threat of an extended ban if their behaviour was repeated, or if they tried to re-enter. One of the staff on a hockey team explained to me, that the two lads were also members of a junior league team, and they could be suspended from the team as well if necessary.

I now feel vindicated for an upsetting period, and also warmed to see a rink management that wants to maintain a 'family' atmosphere during daytime public sessions. Often we are critical of management, but on this occasion, I think they behaved extremely professionally.

Vent over ... :)

doubletoe
09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow, what a relief to hear that justice was finally served! I'm sure you must not be the only paying customer who has been deterred by those brats, so it was smart of the rink management to finally kick them out.

dbny
09-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Congrats on dealing with this nonsense effectively! It must be a big relief to know that management has been tested and passed :lol:.

Sonic
09-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Well, good for you Derek! You dealt with the whole thing in a calm an adult way.

S xxx

samba
09-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Great to see good management.

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago when my son and I were skating on a quiet public session, 3 men in their 20's came in and started to deliberately skate into me they also tried to put their arms around me, my son who was only a teenager at the time and always avoids trouble, came to my defence and pushed all 3 of them away, we then went to the management who immediately ordered them out of the building. I was so worried that they may be waiting outside that I phoned my husband and a couple of his workers to meet us outside but they had gone.

The management in this case were brilliant but the bravery of my son who is normally shy of trouble will never be forgotten, he is my hero.

Derek
09-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Update:

I emailed the rink management the day after the incident, in order to pass on my gratitude to the staff who I dealt with, and also to ensure a record of the episode was logged.

I have just received a reply from the Manager of the facility, who is passing on my comments to the duty manager and staff, and takes the opportunity to reiterate that harassment will not be tolerated (his words) and appreciates my bringing this to his attention.

Going to try a monday morning session first time ever, due to changes in working hours, reckon there may be sunbeams in the rink tomorrow morning ... :)