View Full Version : What would you want your coach to know?

teresa
09-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Just an idea that a few adults at my rink were tossing around. So, if you were writing a book what would you want coaches to know? I was just going to say the adult skater but some of my fellow skaters, who are children, had input too.

Here's mine.

1. The term adult skater is not one size fits all. Adult skater is the label of what I am, it does not describe who I am as an individual. Learn who I am as a skater.
2. Skating is special to me, but plays a small part in my life.
3. Many of the "things" you appreciate most in a student are the same things I appreciate in a coach.
4. Talk to me, don't assume you know without asking. Sometimes you do but not always.
5. I understand more than I can always show you. Be paitent, with time I can show you what I understand.
6. When something is going poorly understand that I'm not doing it to drive you crazy. =-) Some days things just don't go well and I'm not happy about it too.
7. Yelling at me and encouraging me in a loud voice are not the same thing. One makes me feel bad and the other pushes me. I do know the difference.

I could think of a zillion. =-)

teresa

Sonic
09-19-2007, 05:02 AM
Mine would be

- Please don't tell me something is 'good' when it clearly is not.

- As an adult it is nice to be asked what I want to do, but on the other hand if I've told you what my goals are, I see it as your job as a coach to figure out how to work towards them. There is nothing more frustrating than getting on the ice every lesson to be confronted with 'What do you want to do today?'. You're the coach, YOU should be telling me!

I have to say that I'm lucky in that both my coaches are great; they push me hard, they don't let me get away with sloppy habbits, but they do also encourage me.

I admire them both - I'd never in a million years have the patience to teach me lol!:D

SynchroSk8r114
09-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Don't ever tell your students they can't do something or won't get past a certain level. They'll just find someone who thinks they can and prove you wrong.

Rusty Blades
09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
What would you want your coach to know?

That's tough because she already knows more about me than I do about myself (as a skater).

The thing that I can't convey enough is how much I value her and what she contributes to my skating.

jskater49
09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
That's tough because she already knows more about me than I do about myself (as a skater).

The thing that I can't convey enough is how much I value her and what she contributes to my skating.

I have to echo that. If I had to tell my coach some of the things above, I'd rather just get another coach.

j

CanAmSk8ter
09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
There is nothing more frustrating than getting on the ice every lesson to be confronted with 'What do you want to do today?'. You're the coach, YOU should be telling me!

I can't imagine ever asking a student that. I'd maybe say something like, "Is there anything in particular you wanted to do today? I thought we'd start with XYZ." I'm not sure I'd even say that to my younger students, because I know what they want to do- waltz jumps and spins ;) I do like to give students, especially adults, a chance to let me know if there's something they feel they need help on based on their practicing between lessons, but "What do you want to do today?" just sounds like you expect the student to direct the lesson.

doubletoe
09-19-2007, 12:56 PM
I can't imagine ever asking a student that. I'd maybe say something like, "Is there anything in particular you wanted to do today? I thought we'd start with XYZ." I'm not sure I'd even say that to my younger students, because I know what they want to do- waltz jumps and spins ;) I do like to give students, especially adults, a chance to let me know if there's something they feel they need help on based on their practicing between lessons, but "What do you want to do today?" just sounds like you expect the student to direct the lesson.

I like that approach, and it's basically what both of my coaches do as well. I think that with younger students, the coach probably needs to direct the lessons, but it's still always appropriate for the coach to ask the student if there is anything in particular she would like to work on (since there may be something she's been having trouble with in practice all week). As for adults, some of us are very goal-oriented and are more informed than our coaches about changes in adult test and competition rules, so it makes sense for us to have more say when it comes to our lesson content. After all, I figure my coach has 30 skaters to keep track of, but I only have one! ;)

Mrs Redboots
09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Don't ever tell your students they can't do something or won't get past a certain level. They'll just find someone who thinks they can and prove you wrong.

****AMEN!!!!!****

dbny
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
I need for my coach to know my roller background and understand that I have tech knowledge way beyond my abilities. There is no need to go into detail unless I ask - I know what I'm seeing right away and never get confused about things like which foot, or edges, and rotation. I also need my coach to be able to discuss technique with me, and be open to my ideas, not just push her own view of things without hearing what I'm saying. Also, I need my coach to understand the difficulties of having almost no turnout. Happily, I have found that coach!

Ice Dancer
09-19-2007, 03:41 PM
6. When something is going poorly understand that I'm not doing it to drive you crazy. =-) Some days things just don't go well and I'm not happy about it too

Man that could so apply to me today! In fact I think I might send it to my coach in an email!

Seriously though I think that good coaches for children are not the same as good coaches for adults, and that needs to be understood. We are not the same, we get damn frustrated if we can't do something! Especially if we still can't do it after the zillionth lesson on it.

I also think a big one is that there is a major difference between understanding the concept of an element, and having the skills/ability/balance to carry it off. It doesn't matter how many times you explain it in different terminology, I still can't do it!

You can tell us to practice something all you like, and we will practice it, however there is a massive difference in practicing it, and then doing it in the middle of the rink, in front of you, when moving! That you can not practice, which is why it often looks like I am not, when in fact I am!

Generally I get on fabulously with my coach, but I have hit a wall on something and it is doing both our heads in!

coskater64
09-19-2007, 04:21 PM
As someone who tries pretty hard--I never like to hear that my coach doesn't think I'm trying. My "former" dance coach said that to me, 3 months ago and that is why he is "former" not current. My new dance coach understands better...but I will give the "former" coach credit he was very surprised when he heard I needed surgery #2. My free skate coach watches me walk in and would determine my free skating lesson based on my limp...that is a good coach.

Suffice it to say a coach will never know your pain unless you tell them..be clear and concise, they aren't mind readers.

:halo: :halo:

Emberchyld
09-19-2007, 08:16 PM
To understand that sometimes something may be up here (points to head) but hasn't yet gotten down here (points to feet). I think the older and "bigger" we get, it just has a longer distance to travel.

It'll get there... just maybe not as fast as for a kid.

teresa
09-20-2007, 09:36 PM
For the record I like my coach very much. Although I have had some less than positive moments with old. Experiences right? =-) If I was sharing what I appreciate, they would be:
1. I like that you teach to me. One way isn't always the only way and I appreciate that you know this.
2. I appreciate that you don't expect me to be perfect to teach me something new. (I will never be perfect and it's a good thing you don't expect this first.)
3. I appreciate that your positive. It helps me to be too. And, I'm positive that some days neither of us feel this way.
4. I appreciate that you seem to see me as a whole skater, not just my strong or weak points.
5. I appreciate that you tell me everything. I actually know what I should be doing and how to check to see if I am.
6. I appreciate that your responsible.
7. I appreciate that you actually listen to my goals. It makes it easier to work on the things you want me focus on.
I can think of a lot.

I really like SyncroSker114 input. I've felt like this before and it's very depressing. You end up fighting the attitude and skating becomes frusterating and sad.

teresa

NCSkater02
09-20-2007, 10:05 PM
To understand that sometimes something may be up here (points to head) but hasn't yet gotten down here (points to feet). I think the older and "bigger" we get, it just has a longer distance to travel.

I like to say there is a blood-brain barrier in my neck and the idea can't get from my brain to the appropriate body parts.

jazzpants
09-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Don't ever tell your students they can't do something or won't get past a certain level. They'll just find someone who thinks they can and prove you wrong.AMEN to that, sista!!! I am happy that I have coaches that pushes me hard and believes in my ability and knows the difference between something that's beyond my ability and something that I could do...just not at the moment. I'm now WAAAAY beyond what I've dreamt I could become b/c of them!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

BelleBway
09-21-2007, 09:50 PM
After reading these comments, I can say that I have a lot to be happy for about my current coach. It sorta makes me feel justified for sticking with him even when scheduling got tough. The better I get, the more he pushes me- yet, he is incredibly patient and encouraging when it takes me a long time to learn something new. Any time I've told him any skating goal I've had- no matter how silly or far-fetched- I really appreciate that he's treated it with respect and been positive about my ability to achieve it.

I like when he asks me what I want to work on- because he doesn't always do it, and it's usually when it's getting near the end of my lesson and some choice needs to be made about how to spend the rest of the time because not everything he wants to work on will fit in- he gives me choices so it isn't entirely open ended. He's usually happy with what I select, because I always go with something that is either challenging or something we haven't worked on in awhile.

If I have something in particular to say to my coach, I find a way to say it to him. There have been days when approach hasn't always worked perfectly- but I think it works well in the long run.

sk8tmum
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM
What our current coaches know, and our EX-coaches didn't: :lol:

1. The odds of our kids becoming world or Olympic champions are low. But, the odds of them growing into an adult who has to function in the real world are quite - high -.
2. Following from #1 - please model positive behaviour. Don't insult or put down other skaters, or other coaches. Don't encourage kids to look down on those who are struggling. Don't encourage kids to be unpleasant to others. Don't encourage your skaters to form a clique that does the superiority dance over other skaters.
3. Don't 'cheat' - if our kid is ready to move up to new challenges, please don't hold him/her back for easy wins. Sure, a gold is nice ... but it's more important for our kid to grow and proceed, plus, it's a discouraging thing for other skaters to keep getting trounced because our kid is skating below his/her level.
4. Be realistic. Don't give over or under inflated ideas of capabilities and goals. Keep setting goals that are specific to the kid, not to your rigid master plan.

We're blessed, now, with coaches who are great role models, and coach the person, not just the skater. We didn't used to be so lucky ... and I would love to be able to get our former coaches, and other coaches we know, to "get" the above!

miraclegro
09-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I like my main coach very much, but it was a hard road getting someone who has that balance.

Here's what i would say:

1) Make me work HARD, and expect things to happen. If i have a bad day, understand.

2) Sports pyschology is a great thing in adult competing. Recently she told me if i do better that the last competition that is a growth step and not to beat myself up if it is not a perfect program, just shoot for doing better than last time. Best advice i'd had in a long time.

3) I may not be Olympic possibility, but i am paying for a lesson just like anyone else, and expect the same investment emotionally from my coach!

4) Don't lavish constant praise, but praise the really good stuff!

5) Keep me informed of what's new in skating, (judges expectations, etc.)

jskater49
09-22-2007, 11:50 AM
1) Make me work HARD, and expect things to happen. If i have a bad day, understand.

I guess I don't believe it's anybody's job to make an adult work. Make sure I understand the consequences of working hard (or not), but it's my responsiblity to work or not work For example, I've told my coach I'm just not going to do off-ice stuff. I just don't have time or the interest. She's made it clear that some things are going to come slower or not at all without off ice, but that's my decision and so she doesn't nag me about it.

Really being a grown up should have SOME advantage! ;)

j

samba
09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
My coach has very recently lost her much loved brother and childhood pairs partner at the very young age of 35, I would want her to know that I feel her pain and that I will always be there for her as she has been for me.