View Full Version : Hinged boots - some questions

Morgail
09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I am seriously considering getting the Jackson Proflex (or another hinged boot - are there any others?) at some point in the future because the recent and not-so-recent injuries I've gotten skating.

I read through the old threads on these boots, but I have some more questions for those who have them or know anything about them.

1) Are they like regular boots, in the sense that you can get them heat-molded, punched out, get them in split widths, etc.?

2) Can you get any kind of blades put on them? They seemed to have been discussed a lot in conjunction with Ultima Mirage blades. I'm rather attached to my Aces and would prefer to stick with those if possible.

3) I gather from what I've read that they bend back as well as forward. I just want to be sure this is correct, and I was wondering if anyone had trouble getting used to that. This is the main feature I'm interested in, because I think my recent injury could have been prevented (or at least far less serious) if my boots had more "give" for bending the ankle back. My current boots would not let my ankle bend back (into a toe-pointing position), and the force of that is what broke my leg/tore the ankle ligaments.

4) I read about some concerns with doing spirals because you can't lean against the tongue. Has anyone had trouble with this?

5) The knob on the back - has anyone had a problem with this sticking out? I'm thinking especially about jumps and scratch spins, where you might have your ankles tightly crossed. Also, any problems with them poking holes through OTB tights?

6) Repairs. I know these boots were redesigned. Has anyone had problems with the redesigned boots?

7) Finally - I'm obsessed with having my boots laced tightly. Does the wire tightening mechanism give you the same feeling as you'd get from lacing traditional boots tightly?

8) One more - how long did it take you to go from using these boots for the first time to being able to do everything in them that you could do in your traditional boots?

Okay, that's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of 100 more questions later:D Any other observations/experiences with these boots would be appreciated also. Thanks!

Rusty Blades
09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
I have been skating in Jackson ProFlex since May.

1) Are they like regular boots, in the sense that you can get them heat-molded, punched out, get them in split widths, etc.?

Yup. Mine are semi-custom (B heel, C toe) for an extra $50 (Canadian)

2) Can you get any kind of blades put on them?

The ProFlex don't come with blades. I moved the MK Pros from my old boots.

3) I gather from what I've read that they bend back as well as forward. I just want to be sure this is correct, and I was wondering if anyone had trouble getting used to that.

No "trouble" but it did take me a week or so to build up those muscles that I hadn't used before.

... My current boots would not let my ankle bend back (into a toe-pointing position)

Yea, my coach says "No more excuse NOT to point your toe!" :roll:

4) I read about some concerns with doing spirals because you can't lean against the tongue.

You CAN'T lean against the tongue and that take a little getting used to. On the other hand, I am far less likely to catch a toe pick on a forward spiral. You DO have to pay more attention to holding your foot position in a spiral.

5) The knob on the back - has anyone had a problem with this sticking out?

Once in a long while I bump the knob but it hasn't been a problem other than realizing it is there.

6) Repairs. I know these boots were redesigned. Has anyone had problems with the redesigned boots?

None that I have heard. There are two of us here in ProFlex and the other girl is a fairly high level skater. No problems yet but I was advised to carry a roll of tape in my skate bag in case the wire lets go at a competition.

7) Finally - I'm obsessed with having my boots laced tightly. Does the wire tightening mechanism give you the same feeling as you'd get from lacing traditional boots tightly?

Actually, you can get it tighter than laces. You can completely cut off the circulation if that's you thing 8O

8) One more - how long did it take you to go from using these boots for the first time to being able to do everything in them that you could do in your traditional boots?

Excluding the time to build up the new muscles, total transition for me was about 30 minutes.

SkatingOnClouds
09-18-2007, 03:26 AM
I would love a pair of these! My coach has them, and they seem really good. She said they would really help me with my bad habit of leaning forward too much, that I'd have to keep my weight back further.

coskater64
09-18-2007, 05:54 PM
have been skating in Jackson ProFlex since mid July.

Mine were semi custom, B at the toe, AAA at the heel. They are heat moldable, it would seem like you could punch the lower part but why do that if they mold with heat?

2) Can you get any kind of blades put on them?

I put my 99 k pick on them.

3) I gather from what I've read that they bend back as well as forward. I just want to be sure this is correct, and I was wondering if anyone had trouble getting used to that.

I did ballet so I had good ankle strength, but you should be prepared for an overall strengthening of your leg and it takes a while to get used to, I needed a few weeks especially for higher level moves. I am told spins are tricky but I didn't think it was that bad, ...

4) I read about some concerns with doing spirals because you can't lean against the tongue.

If you lean against the tongue you will go face first, the boot allows serious and bend--- it bends very far forward and slightly backward you need good ankle strength for these boots.

5) The knob on the back - has anyone had a problem with this sticking out?

Not so much

I have the second generation and they are very nice...a third generation is coming out soon.

The lateral support on the side of your ankles is very good, but it is freaky to have the bend be so deep.

I started using them while I was hurt so I'll have to get you back to you on that.:D :D

Rusty Blades
09-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I am told spins are tricky but I didn't think it was that bad, ...

I didn't start spins until after switching to ProFlex. I have been working on spins now for about 3 week and today my coach referred to my upright spins as "awesome" which really blew me away because I am OLD and it takes me FOREVER to learn anything! 8O

I am also working on a sit spin and I simply WOULDN'T be able to do a sit spin in a regular boot - too much weight "up front" - and I need LOADS of knee-bend to get into the sit without spinning on my toe picks! :roll:

Morgail
09-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! I believe that when I get my next boots, I will give these a try.

Team Arthritis
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I like mine - somethings others didn't mention-> they required me to change my sal, loop and backspin to the way coach wanted - seems I was leaning on the front of the boot and not over center of blade. They are much easier to recover in if you goof and put pick in going forewards you can actually pull back and save a goofballfall. THey are way too wide with padding IMHO. Don't tie the bottom lace between the upper and lower tongue, keep it ontop of the lower tongue. I did that because it hides the laces but sliced up the foam on my tongue.

Lyle