View Full Version : How to Get Coaching Privileges

Clarice
09-15-2007, 02:09 PM
How does your rink determine who gets to coach there? Is there a limit to how many coaches are allowed to teach at that rink or on any particular session? What criteria do they have to meet (age, qualifications, insurance, background checks, etc.)? What obligations do they have to the rink (pay commission, must teach in learn to skate program, etc.)? Thanks for any information!

jskater49
09-16-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't know how the rink handles it, but our club approves coaches to coach on club time and you have to be a member of the PSA, have insurance and a background check, then you sign a contract and agree to certain obligations to the club, coach a number in the show, teach learn to skate, agree to only coach club members at our rink (what you do at other rinks is your business)...I don't believe there is a limit to how many coaches there can be.

j

SynchroSk8r114
09-16-2007, 11:20 AM
How does your rink determine who gets to coach there?
The rink I teach at is fairly selective with coaches. Most of the coaches teach primarily at my rink (known as full-time coaches), but we also accept coaches who teach at other rinks (known as guest coaches). If you're wondering if there's a difference between full-time and guest coaches aside from where they teaches, there is. Full-time coaches are listed in a brochure containing information about private lessons as well on the rink's website, and often instruct group lessons and figure skating development classes, whereas guest coaches can only "guest" coach there and not included in the brochure or in any of the figure skating programs.

Is there a limit to how many coaches are allowed to teach at that rink or on any particular session?
No, there is no limit at my rink and the number of coaches on the ice varies according to the particular time of day or session. For instance, our morning sessions (6:00 a.m.) has maybe one or two coaches that teach then with four being the most at that hour of the day; however, our afternoon sessions (between 3:00-6:00 p.m.) can have anywhere between 7-10 coaches out there at one time.

With our group lesson classes and figure skating development classes, there does tend to be a limit on how many coaches can teach, but that's based mainly on the enrollment and the number of coaches we have. Typically, senoirity plays a large part in determing who stays, as well as overall attitude, involvement in other aspects of the rinks (helping with competitions and holiday shows, being on time, not calling off, etc.), experience with teaching certain levels, etc. Generally, Junior coaches (under 18, still in high school, and who do not receive compensation) are the first to go with newer, less experienced coaches cut next. Most of the time, we have two-three coaches to a group (depending on the group size), but that can drop throughout the April/May session and pick up again during the school months (September - March).

What criteria do they have to meet (age, qualifications, insurance, background checks, etc.)?
Age: For full-time and guest coaches, over 18 and out of high school. For Junior coaches, under 18, still in high school. Junior coaches are also not compensated for their help, since they really don't do much beside help out with full-time coaches at the Tot level, but they can receive volunteer hours that can be put toward school requirements or used on their college applications.

Qualificaions: At my rink, the more experienced you are, the better a chance you have of being hired. In regards to tests, most of the coaches have passed their Senior MIF and at least Intermediate FS with the best-of-the-best having Golds in both. Dance-wise, most of the coaches who teach dance have passed at least their Gold dances, but most have passed some, if not all, of the International dances.

We also boast two Olympic competitor coaches (one Olympic pairs, the other Olympic freestyle), as well as several coaches who skated in the Ice Capades. For coaches who didn't hit the Olympic level, many of them have coached kids through Nationals and higher level Regional competitions/events.

Membership and Insurance: We're required by the rink to be members of the PSA, ISI, and the USFSA. Especially if you want to teach group lessons or figure skating development, you need to be a member of all three and carry insurance through one. (I use the PSA as my insurance provider.) These must remain up to date, and if the skating director finds out that these memberships/insurances have expired, you'll lose your teaching priviledges (both group and private) until they're updated.

Skating resume: Also, when you start out coaching at my rink or want to be considered for a skating class or a full-time coaching position, you must submit a skating resume that includes: basic information about yourself (education, home address, job objective, etc.), as well as skating levels and background (test levels, competitive history, other skating-related work, etc.)

What obligations do they have to the rink (pay commission, must teach in learn to skate program, etc.)?
Where I teach, you are obligated to pay commission (either monthly for $100 or weekly at $4/hour), arrive on-time and be professional during classes, find a replacement for your group lessons if you can't make it in or will be on vacation for a long period of time, and are expected to help out with any competitions (my rink does two a year) and any holiday shows, and purchase a uniform that consists of a nice, navy blue zip-up fleece jacket.

While you're not required to teach in Learn to Skate programs, why wouldn't you? The main reason for applying for a position as a full-time coach is so you can get some of the perks that come with that job: discounted ice time (50% off), listing in the brochure of private instructors and on the website, etc. It'd be dumb not to get involved in group classes since it not only helps establish your prescence at the rink, but also puts your face out there so that parents (i.e., prospective private lessons!) can get to know you and what you're about.

Clarice
09-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the helpful replies! I pretty much understand the process of how a rink would hire coaches for their group lesson programs, what they would require of them as regards those classes, and how the least experienced ones would be cut first if enrollment drops. That seems pretty standard procedure. I'm trying to understand the relationship between a rink and the private lesson coaches that teach there. I would expect that any coach allowed to teach at a rink would have to have insurance, and would pay commission. But beyond that, couldn't any coach that comes to town be allowed to teach? Can a rink refuse to allow someone to teach private lessons because more established coaches don't want more competition for students? I suppose they could, if the rink actually hires the coaches and could therefore limit the number of people they hire as they do for group classes, but I thought they were all independent contractors paid directly by the parents when it comes to private lessons.

SynchroSk8r114
09-16-2007, 12:04 PM
But beyond that, couldn't any coach that comes to town be allowed to teach?
That's what my rink refers to as guest coaches - coaches who don't teach there full-time or participate in group lessons, but who may just pop in to teach a few times a month, for example.

I guess as long as you're a member in good standing with the USFSA, ISI, and PSA, as well as with the rink (no outstanding commission payments, no history of unprofessional conduct, a good reputation with the skating director or management, etc.), I find it hard to believe that a rink can really keep anyone from teaching, although I'm sure that each rink varies with its policies.

I also forgot to mention that any coach, including guest or full-time coach are required to sign contracts (I'm contracted with the rink) stating that they agree to comply with the rink's rules and skating director's wishes. If you agree to the contract, which you must do in order to teach, any violation of the contract can result in removal or suspension of teaching priviledges.

Can a rink refuse to allow someone to teach private lessons because more established coaches don't want more competition for students? I suppose they could, if the rink actually hires the coaches and could therefore limit the number of people they hire as they do for group classes, but I thought they were all independent contractors paid directly by the parents when it comes to private lessons.
Group lesson wise, I'm contracted with the rink. Privately though, we're listed as independent contractors who set our own schedules, rates, etc. So, no...I don't think that a rink can prevent you from teaching privates necessarily, although in my contract, I can lose my teaching priviledges all together (including private lessons) if I violate this contract because I am a full-time coach, not just a guest coach. I've never seen anyone violate the contract and lose teaching priviledges where I'm at, so I think this only applies to the most extreme circumstances.

I've also never heard of a rink refusing to let someone teach because they fear competition between coaches. Like at every rink, not all coaches get along. Where I'm at, for instance, some of the more experienced coaches have expressed concern with the younger, less established coaches teaching certain levels, but that's more of a personal issue when it applies to private lessons. If that is an issue with group lessons, the assistant skating director or skating director deals with the placement of instructors based on individual skating accomplishments, years of experience, etc.

Also, there are several coaches at my rink who do not get along, but you'll have that anywhere and for the most part, those who don't get along with one another just don't bother. If problems arise, our skating director deals with them.

If you don't mind me asking, are you looking to start teaching at a new rink or obtain a coaching position at your current rink? If so, the best thing I can suggest is to contact the skating director directly, either in person or over the phone, and express your concerns and ask questions. While the forums can be a great starting point on what to ask and help you get a feel for what other rinks are doing, the skating director is ultimately the person who will best be able to answer your questions and concerns in a manner that applies to the area/rink you want to teach at. It never hurts to inquire... :D

Clarice
09-16-2007, 12:31 PM
If you don't mind me asking, are you looking to start teaching at a new rink or obtain a coaching position at your current rink? If so, the best thing I can suggest is to contact the skating director directly, either in person or over the phone, and express your concerns and ask questions. While the forums can be a great starting point on what to ask and help you get a feel for what other rinks are doing, the skating director is ultimately the person who will best be able to answer your questions and concerns in a manner that applies to the area/rink you want to teach at. It never hurts to inquire... :D

No, I'm trying to help gather information for our group lesson director (we don't have a skating director in the usual sense). We have some young, high-test skaters who have just turned 18 or will soon who would like to start teaching privately. They already assist in group lessons. Some established coaches are complaining that this shouldn't be allowed, since they still have space on their teaching schedules. The group lesson director is involved in that he puts new parents in contact with coaches when they decide they want private lessons for their kids.

Based on what I'm reading, I'm going to suggest that:
1) The rink have a contract for coaches wishing to teach on their ice, spelling out their expectations and requirements. (They probably already do, but it may need updating.)
2) The rink prepares an informational brochure on all coaches they have hired to teach in their group lesson program. These would be the equivalent of your "full time coaches". This sheet would be given to any parent inquiring about private lessons.
3) The rink maintain a master list of which coaches have openings on which sessions, that they could also give to parents of prospective students. The coaches would be responsible for updating this information with the rink regularly.
4) The rink provides a bulletin board or rack where "guest coaches" (those not hired for the learn to skate program) could post their own brochures or business cards. I suppose the full time coaches could do the same. The guest coaches wouldn't be listed on the rink's brochure, though.

Beyond that, the market will take care of itself, I think. Any other suggestions?

SynchroSk8r114
09-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Sounds like you've got some great ideas going. Hopefully it all works out for you. It's funny how many sticky situations can arise between coaches, but I think you've got those areas covered if you update or redo a contract for coaches. Good luck!

dbny
09-18-2007, 11:01 PM
I guess as long as you're a member in good standing with the USFSA, ISI, and PSA, as well as with the rink (no outstanding commission payments, no history of unprofessional conduct, a good reputation with the skating director or management, etc.), I find it hard to believe that a rink can really keep anyone from teaching, although I'm sure that each rink varies with its policies.

Rinks/Schools can and do prevent various coaches from teaching on their ice, and the reasons are not always simple or clear. A club that I used to belong to was formed because the local rink changed skating schools and the new school's director would not allow any of the current coaches to teach on public ice. The club bought ice specifically so the coaches could continue with their students, and it was the coaches who started the club for that purpose. Don't forget that we are talking about business, meaning everyone providing a service wants to make money. Rinks and/or schools want their commissions and want to keep their coaches happy. I know of no rink/school that allows anyone but staff coaches to pick up private lessons from public sessions. Guest coaches may bring their own students, but not "poach" from someone else's territory.

dbny
09-18-2007, 11:04 PM
4) The rink provides a bulletin board or rack where "guest coaches" (those not hired for the learn to skate program) could post their own brochures or business cards. I suppose the full time coaches could do the same. The guest coaches wouldn't be listed on the rink's brochure, though.

If I were on staff there, I would object to this one. Teaching groups is one way of paying dues and supporting the rink/school. Why should non-staff coaches be allowed to pick up students from a rink where they do not work? I don't know of any rink that allows that.

Clarice
09-19-2007, 06:26 AM
If I were on staff there, I would object to this one. Teaching groups is one way of paying dues and supporting the rink/school. Why should non-staff coaches be allowed to pick up students from a rink where they do not work? I don't know of any rink that allows that.

I see your point. We're kind of in a vacuum, though - the only rink around for at least an hour in any direction. All the people involved have this as their home rink. There's no such thing as visiting coaches trying to pick up business. It's all about home-trained skaters reaching the age of 18 and wanting to start teaching. These kids already teach or assist in the group classes, depending on enrollment. I guess the real question is whether they have to wait for the established coaches to have full schedules before they're allowed to pick up students. This really isn't a huge controversy at our rink, at least not yet. There have been a few comments made, though, so they're trying to figure out policy before problems arise.

SynchroSk8r114
09-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Rinks/Schools can and do prevent various coaches from teaching on their ice, and the reasons are not always simple or clear. A club that I used to belong to was formed because the local rink changed skating schools and the new school's director would not allow any of the current coaches to teach on public ice. The club bought ice specifically so the coaches could continue with their students, and it was the coaches who started the club for that purpose. Don't forget that we are talking about business, meaning everyone providing a service wants to make money. Rinks and/or schools want their commissions and want to keep their coaches happy. I know of no rink/school that allows anyone but staff coaches to pick up private lessons from public sessions. Guest coaches may bring their own students, but not "poach" from someone else's territory.

With my skating club, the club hosts a club session where coaches who are members of that club can coach for free (well, not free technically as their dues cover this) and do not have to pay commission. The point is that they must be Professional Home Club Members of our club. Other coaches who are not members of that club may also teach on the club session ice, but they have to pay commission.

kayskate
09-28-2007, 07:14 AM
I know of a situation where at least one pro was asked to leave a rink for unethical behavior (solicitation of students). That pro is now at another rink in the area. From what I have observed in my yrs of skating is that pros jump around, esp when a new rink opens. I have also seen the same pro on the staff of multiple rinks. This means the pro has his/her pic on the board, in the brochure, web site, etc. I am trying to do the same as I establish my coaching career.

It is very difficult to get started in coaching. When enrollment is low, the least senior pros are not called in to work. That would be me. The season doesn't pick up until the weather cools and skating is on TV. Until then, you really need PT work somewhere else.

I have been writing about my experiences in my journal. Please visit, if you are interested in what it is like to start a coaching career.
www.skatejournal.com/current.html

Kay

Query
10-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I was curious whether I, as a low level skater, could help teach absolute beginners at all, near Maryland, perhaps as a volunteer - see

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=23999

I contacted 15 or 20 nearby rinks, and got possible bites from several. If you are a high test level freestyle or dance skater, or are good at hockey, you would get more bites. It might not hurt to ask your coach, though most would have no idea. If you are good, it's always possible he/she teaches group lessons, and would welcome your volunteer assistance. Or some other local coaches might.

There is a tremendous difference between the expectations of skating directors and rinks, both in terms of requirements, and in terms of how much guidance you would get as an instructor's assistant.

Almost all do background checks. (Even if they don't say they do, expect them to do an on-line search of public records. If you have a criminal record, or a record of violence or abuse, beyond traffic tickets, teaching is not a good option for you - the check may be done by a cautious parent anyway.) Some require membership and possibly insurance from PSA, which in turn requires a PSA coach recommend you. Some don't, though some of them want you to already have coach's insurance from USFSA or ISI (I'm talking USA). Expected skating levels in my search ranged from one director/rink to another from about ISI Delta or a bit lower through senior level USFSA freestyle. Some directors have test requirements, some don't. Some teach ISI vs USFSA vs ISU lessons, and some teach figure and/or hockey and/or speed skating.

Outdoor and rural area rinks may be easier to get in to than others, but that isn't a hard and fast rule.

It's well worth getting your hands on these manuals,

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=24889

(both the USFSA and ISI manuals mentioned there)

because they tell you what the skating standards are. Some of what your coach has taught you is specific to his/her skating style, and isn't a real requirement. I don't know what the corresponding manuals are for other countries, or the ISU.

See other skating books that mention coaching, like

The Complete Book of Figure Skating, by Carol Shulman (head of PSA)

Basic Ice Skating Skills, by Robert Ogilvie (a bit old)

There must be other such good books. Books meant for coaches are likely to be the good books on skating technique as well, so are worth looking at anyway. (PSA and USFSA try to keep the good books and manuals out of most of our hands, perhaps because it might interfere with coaches' financial success.)

P.S. after reading this thread more carefully, I see you aren't interested in becoming a coach, but are trying to manage a skating program, so some of this is of no interest. Sorry, I haven't time to do a full re-edit.

Since I'm not a coach, I can't help you much more. But based on what my coaches have told me, rinks with an "open pro" policy, that let any ISI, USFSA or PSA insured coach teach there, and have no exclusivity requirement in their contracts, and don't charge the coach to teach, are considered most desirable. Coaches bring students to your rink, which may outweigh the benefits of a coaching fee or exclusivity clause. Rinks that try to put coaches on rink insurance are a nuisance to coaches, because of the delay, and you will have to vet them (exception: learn to teach and volunteer instructor assistant programs, because students can't yet get individual insurance). Many rinks have a BIO sheet and web-page for many of their coaches, which is very useful to skaters and their parents. Be sensitive to the fact that skaters and parents often want to watch coaches teach before they bite, and may need to be allowed into the facility, without skates of course, to do so.

Group lessons attract a lot of us to rinks, especially if they are well advertised. Does your county put out a recreational course listing? If so, get into it. At least put a coupon for a discounted session there. If there are places where people dance (folk, square, social, line, etc.) that would be a great and often free place to advertise too. So are community bulliten boards, like are in supermarkets. Some rinks have used unusual classes (ice dance, off-ice conditioning, ballet or modern dance for skaters, jump classes, style classes, learn to teach classes...) to attract skaters. One local rink near me has very successfully created an "academy" where they teach young ice dancers recruited from group lesson programs several times a week. If only I were a kid again. And yes, rinks with volunteer instructor assistance programs where their better skaters can get involved, are likely to attract future instructors. Finally, some rinks create cooperative programs with teachers from local schools and camps, (public and private, K-12, and college level) where they teach kids or help form a skating club. And there is always the classic technique of putting a snow man out on a well-frequented street on hot summer days, made from ice scrapings.

A good web page, including full skating and lesson schedules, and those coach bios, is very important. Forget the glitter, with fancy videos and big pictures that take a long time to download, background pictures that create poor contrast to your text, pop-ups of any sort - content, speed and portability to all browsers is what counts. Make sure you, not the web designer, own and control both the web page name and it's content.

I'm actually surprised how bad rinks are at advertising, especially since a lot of it is free. Maybe I should look for a job doing that. In which case I shouldn't have shared these ideas. Too late.