View Full Version : MK Professional vs Coronation Ace

aussieskater
09-15-2007, 01:45 AM
What (if anything) is the difference between these 2 blades? I seem to recall being told that they're both made by the same factory in UK? Is there any difference, real or imagined?? Also, is 10.25 inches in one brand the same as 10.25 inches in another (more specifically, is Ultima's 10.25 the same as MK's?)

Mrs Redboots
09-15-2007, 02:04 AM
They are very similar; my fitter said that the Pros had a slightly smaller toe-rake so would suit Husband better as he does more dance than free, but enough free to need not to use dance blades, if that makes sense. Not sure whether that's totally accurate, mind.

They are made in the same place - there were originally two blade manufacturers, John Wilson and Mitchell & King, and the former bought out the latter. Although the brands are still kept separate.

sue123
09-15-2007, 08:23 AM
I was told they're pretty much the same blade. I went with the Coronation Ace because the store was having a clearance and that was what was left so I got them for pretty cheap. Can't help you with teh sizing though since my old skates and blades were too big for me, so I had to get a smaller boot and blade.

dbny
09-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Also, is 10.25 inches in one brand the same as 10.25 inches in another (more specifically, is Ultima's 10.25 the same as MK's?)

The size is simply the distance from the tip of the toe plate to the end of the heel plate, so it is true regardless of brand.

BatikatII
09-15-2007, 10:37 AM
The main difference is whether you like the slightly bigger toepick of the Coronation Ace I guess. My daughter has just gone to Aces after years of having MK Pros and she loves them (it wasn't so much a choice as just what was available without a wait.) She is doing doubles etc. Another friend has just gone the other way to MK Pros after years of Aces and she loves them too. So there you go.

Maybe something in having smaller toepicks if you do any dance but I know dancers who do fine on Aces too. Basically I think you'd be happy with either blade so would tend to go for the cheapest if there's a choice or go with availability.

Bunny Hop
09-15-2007, 12:00 PM
When I bought my skates the fitter showed me both the MK Pros and Coronation Aces and basically said there wasn't any real difference between the two and it was my choice. I ended up choosing the MK Pros because the toe pick looked slightly less scary and they seemed to have a better finish. My husband, on the other hand, has Coronation Aces. The difference in the picks isn't really that big, but over a year later I'm still nowhere near the jumping stage, so I think I probably made the right choice from that point of view.

So, as Batikat said, whichever of the two is cheaper or more readily available should be fine.

aussieskater
09-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks everyone. The reason I was asking is that hockeymonkey is clearing out their complete stock of figure blades at a really good price, as I guess they're moving out of that line entirely. They no longer have a full range of sizes (they sadly don't have my size in Aces but still do in Pros).

For some time, I've been making noises about getting rid of my crappy old Mirage blades, and I thought the Pros price wouldn't break the bank if I really hate the 7' rocker (the Mirage ones have an 8' rocker). So I'll go ahead and order them...then delay in fear putting them on... :lol: :lol:

Anyone looking for blades to store in the cupboard until their current ones wear out might want to take a look - the prices look pretty good. The Pros are USD 113.98 (at skateconnection they're USD 191 - the cheapest I could find online). Prices on other blades seem to be cheaper too.

doubletoe
09-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the new blades, Aussieskater! Once you get used to them (which could take up to 2 weeks) you'll probably find that your spins are faster and you don't scrape your toepicks at all on back crossovers.

Jump landings will feel strange at first, but should be fine as long as you remember to really point your toes for the landing, then push the heel down.

dbny
09-15-2007, 08:38 PM
The reason I was asking is that hockeymonkey is clearing out their complete stock of figure blades at a really good price, as I guess they're moving out of that line entirely. They no longer have a full range of sizes (they sadly don't have my size in Aces but still do in Pros).

For some time, I've been making noises about getting rid of my crappy old Mirage blades, and I thought the Pros price wouldn't break the bank if I really hate the 7' rocker (the Mirage ones have an 8' rocker). So I'll go ahead and order them...then delay in fear putting them on... :lol: :lol:

Anyone looking for blades to store in the cupboard until their current ones wear out might want to take a look - the prices look pretty good. The Pros are USD 113.98 (at skateconnection they're USD 191 - the cheapest I could find online). Prices on other blades seem to be cheaper too.

OMG - If I'd known the why and what, I would have said go get 'em before they're gone!!! You will love them.

aussieskater
09-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Well, they're ordered...yay me!

Congrats on the new blades, Aussieskater! Once you get used to them (which could take up to 2 weeks) you'll probably find that your spins are faster and you don't scrape your toepicks at all on back crossovers.

Jump landings will feel strange at first, but should be fine as long as you remember to really point your toes for the landing, then push the heel down.

Thanks doubletoe! About the only sin I don't have is catching the toe on back XO's. I really can't spin for nuts, and hope these new blades will help some. I only have weeny jumps (height is measured in microns), and already have major trouble landing on the toe then rolling down as it is. Any tips on how to manage the transition??

I have my first test coming up in November - how long should I allow to get used to the new blades for testing purposes? (In other words, who knows if they will arrive in time??)

doubletoe
09-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, they're ordered...yay me!

Thanks doubletoe! About the only sin I don't have is catching the toe on back XO's. I really can't spin for nuts, and hope these new blades will help some. I only have weeny jumps (height is measured in microns), and already have major trouble landing on the toe then rolling down as it is. Any tips on how to manage the transition??

I have my first test coming up in November - how long should I allow to get used to the new blades for testing purposes? (In other words, who knows if they will arrive in time??)

Don't worry, the new blades will *force* you to adapt, LOL! If you don't point your toes for the landing, you'll land on the ball or flat of the blade, which will feel a little scary and you won't want to do that again. And if you don't push the heel down after that, you'll stay on the ball of the blade, which is also a little scary. You could also use the opportunity to practice doing the loop jump as the second jump in combination, since you'll be on the ball of the blade and ready to just take off again, LOL!

What test are you taking? If it's moves-in-the-field, the new blades probably won't be that much of an adjustment because rounder rockers are easier to do turns on. If it's jumps and spins, give yourself 2 weeks to get used to them. But everyone is different so there's really no telling what your individual adjustments will be.