View Full Version : My skating dreams are being thwarted...

Skittl1321
09-14-2007, 09:20 AM
...by my nerves!

I REALLY wanted to be a test skater. Competition isn't really my goal- I wanted to test as high as I'd be able to. I was excited about it- it is a great way to measure progress, and is concrete against an exact standard, not just a "better than/worse than the others who showed up that day"

But my first MITF test was a disaster- my nerves went crazy, even though I didn't think I was nervous.

No big deal, I say. It was my first test.

Well, I just got the schedule for my Freeskate test- and my heart is pounding, legs are shaking just LOOKING at the schedule.

OH NO :(

jskater49
09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
My sympathies, I have experienced the same thing. The only remedy is to keep testing and even competing if for nothing else but more experience being in front of people and judges.

I find that to test, I still need to be WAY WAY better than passable so that when my skating deteriorates due to nerves, it's still good enough.

j

Skittl1321
09-14-2007, 09:44 AM
My sympathies, I have experienced the same thing. The only remedy is to keep testing and even competing if for nothing else but more experience being in front of people and judges.

I find that to test, I still need to be WAY WAY better than passable so that when my skating deteriorates due to nerves, it's still good enough.

j

Yep- I think that's the only way I managed to get through my moves. (And also why I was so upset with them- for ME they were terrible, for the judge, they were passable.)

In High School I used to take beta-blockers for performance and test anxiety, but 1) I don't have the prescription anymore and 2) I think they might be considered performance enhancing drugs.

Clarice
09-14-2007, 09:47 AM
You can do it, Jessi! Overcoming nerves has always been my biggest problem, too. A couple things that have helped are trying to skate through my test before I'm totally warmed up, because it sort of mimics how it feels when your legs are acting all weird. Just give yourself a five-minute warmup, then run the test. You can do whatever off-ice warmups you normally do, because you would do those before the test anyway. Also, try having people watch you skate through your test - doesn't have to be your coach, anybody will do. You want to put a little "audience pressure" on yourself. I find I skate differently even if I just ask my daughter to watch. Beyond that, trust that you've put in your preparation, and remember to breathe! Good luck! How long do you have until test day?

phoenix
09-14-2007, 09:47 AM
I too am a nervous tester/competitor. I've learned a few things that might help you:

1. Test as often as possible, even if your test may be marginal. I'm not saying to go out there & make a fool of yourself, but it you & coach think it's *possible* something will pass, put it out. Mainly because, I've found that the more often I'm out there, the more it becomes and 'everyday, just another test' sort of thing, and less a major event. Last March I tested for the first time in 1.5 years, and I totally fell apart! Before that when I'd been doing it at least a few times a year, I was much more calm.

2. Do a HUGE off-ice warmup before putting your dress/skates on. I put on my ipod & dance around for awhile (you want to work up a good sweat), then spend a good 10 minutes stretching. Then you'll be ready to get on your dress & skates, & go out for your on-ice warmup. The 4 minutes on ice just isn't enough to get your body/mind talking to each other when you're nervous. ;)

3. Remember that the judges really want you to skate well & they're rooting (sp?) for you

4. Something my ballroom teacher told me once when I was nervous about a show: "This is your chance to share your dancing with other people--so go out there & show them how much you love to dance." I use that a lot--it helped a lot. I try to focus on the fact that I just want everyone to see how much I love to skate.

SynchroSk8r114
09-14-2007, 09:50 AM
I can sympathize with you. I've been skating for 13 years and used to compete, but quit at 13 years old to focus solely on testing. I've passed my Senior MIF back in 2005 and I'm working on getting through my Pre-Gold/Gold dances, but I'm hung up on my Intermediate FS, which I attribute a great deal of to my nerves that often get the better of me. :oops:

For me, testing dance doesn't bother me at all, I never got nervous when I was working on getting through my MIF or when I compete with my synchro team, but whenever it comes to freestyle, I get that horrible stiffness throughout my body and end up picturing the worst "what-if" scenarios, which I realize is a lot of my problem. That usually leads to the most wretched nauseous feeling that hits me about halfway through my program (don't ask, I don't know why it takes me that long to get nauseous...).

The thing is, if you don't learn to calm your nerves down, they're going to get the better of you. One thing I've found that helps me out is to smile. That kind of forces your body to relax and believe it or not, helps put the judges at ease. I mean, if you're out there looking like a nervous wreck and completely unsure of your ability, how do you think the judges are going to feel? They're also going to get that 'Oh, my Gosh...she's making me nervous too' look on their faces and you're inevitably going to see that when you look at them, which definitely won't calm you down any, as you're left to wonder what's wrong with you.

Also, I try to tell myself to just go out there and have fun because this could be the last time I have to take (insert test leve here). Do you really want the last time you take your first freestyle test to be a terrible experience that you wish you could do over all because your nerves go to you? Some of my best tests grew out of this mindset, and it's something I try to instill in my students.

Another thing you can do is force yourself to compete or do exhibitions at least a couple of times a year. This will force you to get out there in front of people, something you're going to have to get over if you want to be successful in this sport. Although I quit competing in 1999 after having a pretty good run as a competitive skater, my nerves ultimately got the best of me and I ended it. I continued skating all throughout middle school, high school, and now in college where I'm a member of my university's intercollegiate synchronized skating team. We do tons of competitions and exhibitions each season, and since I'm part of the intercollegiate team (singles skating, like freestyle, dance, etc. rather than synchro) I am required to compete in at least a few events to help my university's intercollegiate team earn points. This past February was my first time back on the ice as a singles competitive skater, which was actually a good thing for me because I competed my Intermediate FS, Junior dance, and on a manuever team. Knowing that my teammates were relying on me to hold it together and place well so that we can rack up those points really motivated me to stay calm, smile, and just try my best.

This season I'm going to be competing a lot more for my team, including travelling to places like Colorado, Boston, Delaware, and Michigan and I now know those little tricks that can really make a big difference in keeping cool, which will help prepare me to tackle that Intermediate freestyle!

Sessy
09-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Your FIRST MIF test, is not necessarily a prediction for the future. It's like public speaking, the first time is scary, after that you kinda get used to it. The second time of testing I did I was calmer than the first time.

To quote the hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy: don't panick! (just yet)

Otherwise, I dunno - is valeriana allowed? Try valeriana tea to calm you down a little bit.
And ask your coach maybe to run a fake test session? Our coaches at the club do it for everybody standard, when they figure out the group is ready to test, they have a testing session. The outcome of which determines whether you get to test or not. So that's a nerve event too. Basically if you get to test, you're passable even with nerves. Knowing that gives lots of confidence for the real thing.

phoenix
09-14-2007, 10:45 AM
I've used Bach's Rescue Remedy (thank to Mrs. Redboots for that tip). It did seem to help.

chantelly
09-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Rescue Remedy is marvellous stuff, although I always worry my breath will smell of alcohol after! It tastes vile but some how it works for me even if it has just become part of the calming down routine now.

TreSk8sAZ
09-14-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't know what it is about MITF tests, but they completely freak me out! I'm generally fine competing, generally fine testing FS and dance, but MITF are nerve wracking!

The best thing you can do, like others said, is be very warmed up. Run through the moves on the ground in order, listen to music, stretch, etc. You'll have to find what works for you. I don't mind talking to people and joking around, some people cannot say a word to anyone else.

Also, it was your first test. You only did MITF. You don't know how FS will be as you haven't taken it yet. It may be fine, it may be just as bad. Who knows! But, take a deep breath and do everything you can to prepare and you'll likely be fine.

Skittl1321
09-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Thank you all for the advice.

My coach gave me a vote of confidence today when I emailed him the schedule saying he could make it, but that he was confident I'd pass without him there if I wanted to save the money (YES! It's tight!- it will also save him having to hang around eastern iowa all day.) Since he saw my trainwreck of a moves test, this is a big deal that he's okay with not coming.

So Wednesday lesson will be a "here's exactly what to do in your warmup" lesson- and hopefully the test will be okay.

Maybe it's better I'm nervous about this one now, get it all out! The last one I wasn't nervous at all, and could barely stand once I got onto the ice.

jazzpants
09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
The first time I tested it was on the Bronze FS test. (WAAAAY back when they didn't have the moves requirement then...) I couldn't sleep and I had a nasty congestion from my allergies (darn cypress trees. :x ) So...to get me to at least not be congested, I took Nyquil and well, it was enough to make me sleepy enough to sleep. Got up at the time I was supposed to get up, went to the rink and had a NASTY headache but was too nervous to think about it. I was SOOOO out of it that when I was looking for my coach, I didn't even realized that he was standing right in front of me next to the person I was asking where my coach was. :oops: The week before I had lost my salchow, so I tested with a waltz and toe loop. Oh, and my coach had to tell me then that I was the VERY FIRST student he put out on a test session too!!! (Fine time to tell me THAT!!!) 8O

Yes, I DID passed the test! Even though I was so out of it (nervous, hungover, half asleep, etc) and my salchow disappeared, I managed an easy pass! It was very much "Go in, test, get off ice, pass, read test papers, go home, go to bed, CRASH!!!"

Jess...I've seen your video clips... You'll do okay! Trust me.

momsk8er
09-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Maybe you need a distraction. My daughter was very nervous about her first out of rink competition. Then the announcer mixed up her name, and she got so mad at him that she forgot all about being nervous and did so well she came in 2nd!

jazzpants
09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe you need a distraction. My daughter was very nervous about her first out of rink competition. Then the announcer mixed up her name, and she got so mad at him that she forgot all about being nervous and did so well she came in 2nd!
Well, my distraction for Sectionals was trying to channel my coach... in his Kwan getup back in 2002! :twisted:

For my Bronze FS test, it was easy...it was right on my b-day! I was thinking "You know? I'm pretty much skating amongst friends and colleagues I've known for years. Go for it!!!" (This is my case of "the more you compete, the more you calm down and get used to it." You'll have to find yours...)

It also helped that the judge noticed that I was wearing a competition dress for the test and he said the dress looks lovely on me. :D

Skittl1321
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM

That's a great story. :)

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Rescue Remedy, breathing exercises, and above all, remember that it isn't actually important if you get a retry. You've nothing to lose - if you get a retry, you'll be no worse off than you are now.

I saw your video of your Moves test - it was fine! Okay, you weren't happy with how you skated, but then, one never is.

Skittl1321
09-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Rescue Remedy, breathing exercises, and above all, remember that it isn't actually important if you get a retry. You've nothing to lose - if you get a retry, you'll be no worse off than you are now.

I saw your video of your Moves test - it was fine! Okay, you weren't happy with how you skated, but then, one never is.

That's exactly what I thought during my first test. "I'm totally ready, and who cares if I pass or not"- and then when I hit the ice my body changed it's mind about me thinking I was not nervous.

Maybe it's better this time that I'm going crazy. Everytime I open this thread my heart starts pounding- it's that scary thinking about this test. So maybe since I'm nervous now, I'll go take the test and be fine.

I know "there's nothing to lose" and that's mostly true- but man are these tests expensive, especially with guest fees added on! (Thankfully I save the coach fee this time around).

I KNOW I'm ready for it- I just can't believe the adreniline response just READING about it.

My goodness!

Maybe this test session will be better because I know lots of people testing and can distract myself watching them. In Des Moines, I didn't know anyone else there.

Sessy
09-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Hmmm actually it's good to freak out entirely before the real thing. Then during the real thing you don't.

jskater49
09-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Also remember - the prebronze free skate test is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier than the moves test. honestly, if I could pass that test ....just about anybody can.

j

miraclegro
09-14-2007, 10:00 PM
My last test (Adult Silver FS) - i competed the very day before at the same rink in order to prepare my body and nerves. My program was awful, and when i saw it on video, i was melting down. But in practice the next day, a friend calmed my nerves and told me that the judges WANT to pass the adults, plus some other compliments. Well, the rink was SO much quieter without the crowd for the test, it felt so much more pleasurable, and i PASSED the Silver FS test.

But, the test i took months prior - SIlver MIF, i SMILED when i stumbled on the 8-step mohawk, and smiled the rest of the way, and know what? One of the judges even wrote on the test form "nice smile." (i was terrified it was over after the first blunder!)

So hope that helps a little bit. Just keep getting out there, my legs always shake, but i think it does get a little better each time, and get a great support group, and keep your legs warm an limber leading right up to your skating moment! DOn't quit!

Award
09-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I think that the better your skating is, and the more confident you become, and the more prepared you are for the test, like knowing what to do and what to expect, then the test becomes easier and easier. If you don't do so well at a test for the first time, then chances are that you'll do well next time - provided that you're allowed to take the tests again. One thing is, if you don't do so well, and your life doesn't depend on it, then don't worry too much about it. Just do whatever you can, no matter how it goes. Since if you have the time and money and effort etc, then you'll eventually get to where you want to go.

dbny
09-14-2007, 10:28 PM
But, the test i took months prior - SIlver MIF, i SMILED when i stumbled on the 8-step mohawk, and smiled the rest of the way, and know what? One of the judges even wrote on the test form "nice smile." (i was terrified it was over after the first blunder!)

Anyone who stumbles on the 8-step Mohawk and smiles deserves to pass! I have a friend who laughs whenever she nearly falls. I mean a big, infectious laugh. It makes it seem like what she's really doing is entertaining us.

SkatingOnClouds
09-15-2007, 03:40 AM
In High School I used to take beta-blockers for performance and test anxiety, but 1) I don't have the prescription anymore and 2) I think they might be considered performance enhancing drugs.

Really? Performance enhancing drugs! They are for people with blood pressure and heart problems. Well, I have tried them, though not for skating. I used them for playing cello in an exam, and in some auditions. Far from being performance enhancing, they made me very sweaty, thirsty, but worse than that, I performed like a robot. Like I was trying to get to the end as fast as possible, with zero expression or flair.

Incidentally, it was my total melt-down in my first skating competition that was the beginning of my performance anxiety issues. They had to push me out on the ice while I was saying; "I don't want to do this".

Even now, I will be seriously considering taking 1/2 of a tablet prior to my upcoming comp, knowing how seriously nervous I get. It worries me that I might be breaking the rules by doing so.

Skittl1321
09-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Really? Performance enhancing drugs! They are for people with blood pressure and heart problems. Well, I have tried them, though not for skating. I used them for playing cello in an exam, and in some auditions. Far from being performance enhancing, they made me very sweaty, thirsty, but worse than that, I performed like a robot. Like I was trying to get to the end as fast as possible, with zero expression or flair.

Beta blockers are for blood pressure and heart problems but are prescripted frequently off label for performance anxiety. And yep- I actually researched them and they are banned in most competitive sports.

If you were being prescribed them for the issues they actually are meant to fix, then it's possible that's why they didn't help you with performance, however, for me, they slowed my heartbeat to a reasonable level, stopped the release of adreneline and generally prevented me from freaking out. I'm glad I did the research- as it definetly looks like it would not be allowed.

(I'm guessing if you need them for their on-label cause you would get some sort of official clearance? Or an athlete would have to find another drug to use that is approved? I don't think drug testing is an issue at MY level, but still, good to know.)

frbskate63
09-15-2007, 10:56 AM
The reason you're anxious now is because of your bad memories of your last test - but it doesn't follow that you'll have the same experience when you take this test.

I had a similar thing with my first two competitions. I was fine before the first one, but I froze with nerves when I got onto the ice, and didn't skate anywhere near as well as I knew I should be capable of. With the second, a few months later, I was extremely stressed for weeks beforehand, anticipating the same thing. But it didn't happen. I won't say I felt normal, but that awful stomach-churning rigid-but-wobbling my-body-has-forgotten-how-to-do-this sensation wasn't there, and I skated quite well, and placed respectably. If the second comp had been as bad as the first, I'd probably never have competed again. As it was, I got hooked!

You can never quite predict what your nerves are going to do on the day, but they do get better with experience. And on the whole, it's better to be nervous beforehand than not - that way you acclimatise to them, and it's much less of a shock to the system than being hit by them when you step onto the ice.

Good luck with the test - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Fiona

Sessy
09-15-2007, 11:45 AM
betablockers are actually prescribed to people with anxiety issues and obsessive-compulsive disorders... Well as in, somebody I know who had that got that prescribed. I dunno if that's a general practice or not.

vesperholly
09-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Ooh, good! I'm on atenolol for my thyroid problems. Maybe it'll make me more relaxed when I test Silver FS in November. I don't usually have a problem with test nerves, though. I get nervous like everyone else, but I don't freeze or shake or anything.

Debbie S
09-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Beta blockers are for blood pressure and heart problems but are prescripted frequently off label for performance anxiety. And yep- I actually researched them and they are banned in most competitive sports.Yes, in the Olympics (and other elite-level comps) they are banned (although I imagine that if they are medically necessary, an athlete can get permission/exemption to use them, just like with asthma medications), but I wouldn't worry about it right now - there is no drug testing at USFSA test sessions, or any adult comps. ;)

Just focus on each element, one at a time. Remind yourself that you've done these elements dozens of times in practice - just go out and show the judges what you can do. And on an FS test, you can reskate 2 elements if necessary (as opposed to only 1 in MIF tests).

jazzpants
09-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Yes, in the Olympics (and other elite-level comps) they are banned (although I imagine that if they are medically necessary, an athlete can get permission/exemption to use them, just like with asthma medications), but I wouldn't worry about it right now - there is no drug testing at USFSA test sessions, or any adult comps. ;) AHHH RIIIIGHT THEN!!! That means we could have VODKA NIPS for "confidence" just before we go on the ice for our Adult Bronze Ladies III FS events!!! (Mel On Ice... bring on the BUBBLY!!!) :twisted: :lol: :P

(Just kiddin'! I'll probably get a headache out of it but still be nervous, knowing me with alcohol...) :giveup:

Sessy
09-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Whehehe... at the Dutch ballroom dance nationals a few years back where my mother danced, a couple burned on... CAFFEINE!
Yeah go figure, that's a prohibited substance too apparently... :lol:

And on the Dutch speed skating championships a few athletes were accused falsely of doing doping because their vitamin supplements were lightly contaminated at the factory by something else the factory produced. :frus:

mikawendy
09-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Skittl1321, my first test experience was similar to yours--once the actual warmup and test started, I was really nervous and didn't skate nearly as well as I could in practice. As others have said, it does get better the more tests you take.

One thing that helped me was changing my opinion of nerves. For my first test, I almost felt like being nervous was "bad" so I concentrated a lot before the test on not being nervous. So I was fine until the actual warmup and test. Then it was almost like I freaked out *MORE* because I felt myself getting nervous and I had convinced myself that being nervous was all "bad."

At later tests and competitions, I've approached them thinking, well, sure, I'll probably feel nervous, but I know I can do this and I know there are things that help me try to skate my best despite the nerves. For me, that's concentrating on the things I can be confident about (in spite of nerves), breathing, visualizing my skating, not letting other people being nervous around me make me more nervous, concentrating on what I need to do (e.g., get changed, get warmed up, whatever is important at the moment), enjoying the actual skating, and having a warm-up on ice where I really feel the ice and get into my edges.

Clarice
09-16-2007, 11:28 AM
One thing that helped me was changing my opinion of nerves. For my first test, I almost felt like being nervous was "bad" so I concentrated a lot before the test on not being nervous. So I was fine until the actual warmup and test. Then it was almost like I freaked out *MORE* because I felt myself getting nervous and I had convinced myself that being nervous was all "bad."

At later tests and competitions, I've approached them thinking, well, sure, I'll probably feel nervous, but I know I can do this and I know there are things that help me try to skate my best despite the nerves.

This is very true. It's natural to feel nervous, and if you think that you shouldn't feel that way, you put even more pressure on yourself trying to control your feelings. When I perform, either as a skater or musician, I expect to feel a little "jazzed up" in comparison to how I normally feel in practice. That's actually good, if you can channel it well, because the extra spark keeps you from delivering a mechanical, rote performance. Although, I admit, I do a much better job of making the butterflies fly in formation during actual performances than I do in test/competition/audition situations.

Thin-Ice
09-18-2007, 08:33 AM
You're not "nervous", you're EXCITED... you have the chance to show the judges just how that test should be performed. And if you're nervous/excited now, that's a good thing.. your brain and body will be soooooo tired of that feeling by the time you test, it will feel normal... you might even feel a bit flat.. so you'll have to regenerate that feeling of "showing off".

I competed this past weekend, and was kept so busy with other elements of the competition (judging, announcing, racing to see a friend perform) that I didn't even have time to think about being nervous. I just put on my skates, did the 3 minute warm-up, chatted with my coach, then skated... it went pretty well. I may actually try that technique when I next test... just go out, do the job, then let the results show up.

The poster who said a MITF test is not a FS test is soooo right! Most people find that the FS elements are much easier than the moves... and all you have to do is meet the minimum requirements... no one is going to ask you "what were your scores for your PreBronze test" --since it's only pass/retry.

Also, even if you are invited to retry the test, it's not fatal. I always PLAN to fail my first time out on a test... although I prepare as much as I can to take it and believe I could pass it. That way, if I do get a retry, I have feedback on what to work on, more experience in front of judges and know how it feels to test. And if I earn a pass, well I'm just SOOOO happy!

Best wishes on your test!

Thin-Ice
09-21-2007, 03:15 AM
Jessi--

Isn't your test today or this weekend? Sorry, I don't remember the exact date... but have fun, skate well and let us know how you think you did and what the judges said.

Skittl1321
09-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Test is tomorrow at 5:15 in the evening!
Thanks for asking, and I'll be sure to report back.

Morgail
09-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Test is tomorrow at 5:15 in the evening!
Thanks for asking, and I'll be sure to report back.

Good luck!!

Sessy
09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
It always seems that you do worse, when you're nervous, than you ACTUALLY do. Keep it in mind and GO GET IT GIRL. After all, the enthousiasm and love for skating you have, will shine through no matter what!

Skittl1321
09-21-2007, 12:13 PM
It always seems that you do worse, when you're nervous, than you ACTUALLY do. Keep it in mind and GO GET IT GIRL. After all, the enthousiasm and love for skating you have, will shine through no matter what!

Yeah- I think you are right. Watching the tapes of my MITF- I felt that I was way worse than I really was, but still I wasn't too good.

I really hope the "being nervous ahead of time" will translate in being calmer during the test, the way "being calm ahead of time" translated into "completely and utterly failing to be calm" during the test.

I just looked at the schedule again, to double check my time- and my heart is raising again. OMG!

The somewhat good news- I was really sick during my wednesday practice and ran through all the elements with my legs shaking and feeling like I was going to puke. Probably the closest way to simulate my test experience. And everything went fairly well.

I'm ready to nail this test!

doubletoe
09-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah- I think you are right. Watching the tapes of my MITF- I felt that I was way worse than I really was, but still I wasn't too good.

I really hope the "being nervous ahead of time" will translate in being calmer during the test, the way "being calm ahead of time" translated into "completely and utterly failing to be calm" during the test.

I just looked at the schedule again, to double check my time- and my heart is raising again. OMG!

The somewhat good news- I was really sick during my wednesday practice and ran through all the elements with my legs shaking and feeling like I was going to puke. Probably the closest way to simulate my test experience. And everything went fairly well.

I'm ready to nail this test!

Actually, I have found that it DOES help to be "pre-nervous." My body just gets so sick of being stressed out that a lot of times by the time I step on the ice for my test or competition I'm kind of over it.

I don't think the nerves ever really go away, but what you can do is minimize the effects a little, and also learn to skate through the nerves. Keeping your legs warm and moving before the test helps reduce stiff/shaky knees, and the fight-or-flight response that causes the jitters can be reduced somewhat with slow, deep breathing while you wait to take the ice (in for a count of 10, out for a count of 10). For the test itself, I have technique cue words that walk me through every move or element. Not only do they tell my paralyzed body what to do, but they also give my mind something to focus on at every moment during the test.

If nothing else, I hope it helps to know that everybody else gets nervous, too, and that nervous energy can actually be channeled into "extreme focus" energy that will help you. So good luck, and don't worry about passing or not passing (you can always take it again in a month), just take it one move at a time and hold onto those edges! :D

Thin-Ice
09-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Something else I do to take some of the pressure off on tests... I always plan to test at least twice. I consider the first one a "dress rehearsal" and figure if I have a good day, I might pass on the first try, but I think of it as my chance to get feedback from judges and see how my body plans to perform in front of judges.

The second time (usually 1-2 months later), I plan to pass using the information gained from my dress rehearsal test. Speaking of which, I'm taking my Silver FS dress rehearsal test tomorrow/Tuesday morning; my biggest obstacle there is the camel having enough revolutions. I figure this will be a good test of how well I can do the camel with judges watching. I managed just 2-1/2 revs during our competition weekend before last. If I'm invited to retry, I'll have two months to work on getting a better grip on this spin and adding a couple more rotations on a consistent basis.

I did that with my Silver MITF this summer. The first test was awful. I was shaking so much, my coach could see my knees quaking from across the rink. But since I hadn't planned to pass the test it didn't feel so awful when the papers came back to me. The second time I took it, I felt much more confident and hoped to pass (although I still had a question about how well I would skate the RF powerpulls) and was ready to test, even though my coach couldn't be there. For me, it helped to remove the fear/nerves knowing the first time was not a "I HAVE to pass this test TODAY" effort, and the second time it helped because I had already taken the test once, did not pass and it didn't kill me.:lol:

Skittl1321
09-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Something else I do to take some of the pressure off on tests... I always plan to test at least twice. I consider the first one a "dress rehearsal" and figure if I have a good day, I might pass on the first try, but I think of it as my chance to get feedback from judges and see how my body plans to perform in front of judges.

Speaking of which, I'm taking my Silver FS dress rehearsal test tomorrow/Tuesday morning; my biggest obstacle there is the camel having enough revolutions.

Gosh I wish I had enough money to think like that :)
(Though I did tell my husband- hey, the money I'm saving by not having my coach here will pay for the retry, minus guest fees!) I know that these tests can always be redone. I'm not trying to beat a deadline for regionals, or anything- but to me, they are expensive. I can't do all of them twice.

Instead- I don't test until I know I'm beyond ready. I worked on Pre-Bronze moves for 6 months. I probably could have tested after 3, but I wanted to be sure.

I think pre-nerves helped. I was only slightly nervous on the ice, rather than a bundle of can't stand up I'm so nervous. But at this point, testing doesn't seem to be my future. It's not worth the stress.

Best of luck on your up coming dress rehearsal :)

Thin-Ice
09-25-2007, 02:18 AM
Gosh I wish I had enough money to think like that :)
(Though I did tell my husband- hey, the money I'm saving by not having my coach here will pay for the retry, minus guest fees!) I know that these tests can always be redone. I'm not trying to beat a deadline for regionals, or anything- but to me, they are expensive. I can't do all of them twice.

Instead- I don't test until I know I'm beyond ready. I worked on Pre-Bronze moves for 6 months. I probably could have tested after 3, but I wanted to be sure.

I think pre-nerves helped. I was only slightly nervous on the ice, rather than a bundle of can't stand up I'm so nervous. But at this point, testing doesn't seem to be my future. It's not worth the stress.

Best of luck on your up coming dress rehearsal :)

Thanks for the good wishes. I figure the $20 test fee for the FS is a small price to pay. It's only that much because I'm testing in-club, my coach won't be there and it's less than I pay for a half-hour lesson.. and I can learn a bunch in those 7 or 8 minutes to make it a fair trade-off for a lesson. Plus it's at a rink where I frequently practice, so it's not THAT far from my house (just an hour). I don't test that often.. so for me, the dress rehearsal test is just another learning experience kind of like a coachless lesson.

I did test out-of-club for my 2nd attempt/real MITF test and that WAS expensive, since it was at a rink I never skate at, so I needed to go there one extra day to lay out the moves, plus out-of-club and test fees ($90) and because I had to be back at that rink early the next morning, I ended up staying in a motel (more $$):frus: ... but I'm glad I did it and managed to get that one out of the way.

I think we all find ways to cope with obstacles and achieve what we decide is necessary for each of us. I've been at Bronze for MANY years now, and just needed new challenges and to feel like I was not stagnating. It had felt like I was kind of "stuck" on so many things:frus: , so when injuries made it hard for me to spend entire lessons working on programs and program elements, I decided to focus on Silver Moves.. and as long as I was spending all that time and lesson-and-ice money on them, might as well test them too. But since it had been YEARS since I'd tested and Moves can be judged so subjectively, I set for my summer goal "testing those moves" rather than "passing". After that I still needed to limit jumping and spinning so kept working on them, and it just all kind of fell into place.

I also believe testing is harder than competing. With competing, a bunch of people skate programs, then a list of names goes on the wall, but nothing is really different than before the event -- unless you have a great skate and you feel better than ever about your skating. With testing, your life DOES change -- you get to work on new stuff if you pass!:lol:

I'm sure glad this is a dress rehearsal test though... I work an overnight shift, getting off work at 7am... so I went to the rink for about an hour.. and had two so-so run-throughs, but that's fine. I don't want to leave my best run-through on the practice ice, right? I was even the only one on the ice so I can't say someone cut me off or I had to veer off pattern. I dashed home and was asleep by 10am, but for some reason woke up at 2:30 yesterday afternoon -- and COULD NOT GET BACK TO SLEEP! So by the time my test warm-up starts just before Noon.. I will be exhausted. If I can even remember the program I should consider this test a victory! (hahaha)

Best wishes to everyone on their skating!

sk8_4fun
09-28-2007, 04:15 AM
[QUOTE=Skittl1321;337156]That's exactly what I thought during my first test. "I'm totally ready, and who cares if I pass or not"- and then when I hit the ice my body changed it's mind about me thinking I was not nervous.
QUOTE]

and That is EXACTLY what happened to me last night in my first dance comp. I wasn't nervous on the patch before hand and even though I was freezing by the time the warm up came (there is no way that was 2 minutes!!!!) when I came to skate my legs turned to rubber and I skated the worst I have ever skated in my life. I'm totally devastated as my goal is to compete. I just feel humliated and devastated that I let my coach down. It is normal to feel this traumatized???:giveup:

Skittl1321
09-28-2007, 06:47 AM
and That is EXACTLY what happened to me last night in my first dance comp. I wasn't nervous on the patch before hand and even though I was freezing by the time the warm up came (there is no way that was 2 minutes!!!!) when I came to skate my legs turned to rubber and I skated the worst I have ever skated in my life. I'm totally devastated as my goal is to compete. I just feel humliated and devastated that I let my coach down. It is normal to feel this traumatized???:giveup:

You know- I think it might be. I went home, from a PASSING test crying. My next test I was a little shaky but not as bad nerves wise. I think you just got to go out there and have some good days and have some bad days. Sorry you didn't do as well as you wanted :(

Thin-Ice
09-28-2007, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=Skittl1321;337156]That's exactly what I thought during my first test. "I'm totally ready, and who cares if I pass or not"- and then when I hit the ice my body changed it's mind about me thinking I was not nervous.
QUOTE]

I don't know that it's "normal" -- but it's certainly COMMON! Trust me, you did not skate the very worst you've ever skated. Remember when you first started and you felt like Bambi on ice and could barely stand up on skates?

The part about feeling humiliated will pass... after all, most people weren't really paying that much attention to you and those who were, have seen worse... unless of course you fell down everytime you stood up, and then sat in the middle of the ice and cried the entire time the music was on. Your feelings of "devastation" for letting down your coach only mean you really care what your coach thinks. Chances are pretty good no one else is going to say your coach is not any good because you went out and competed not-perfectly the first time you competed.

My best advice is stick with it, try it again and it will feel a little more comfortable, and the time after that a little bit better still. Competing is a skill, just like doing 3-turns or running track. You're an athlete in training. This is just part of your training.

Congratulations for being willing to put yourself out there to be judged. Most of the world is not willing to take that risk... but you are, so give yourself credit for having the courage to try.

And in a few months, you'll look back at this experience and decide you really weren't that awful.. you just didn't live up to YOUR very high expectations.. which will help you improve to the quality you hope for as you continue.

Mrs Redboots
09-28-2007, 11:36 AM

You know- I think it might be. I went home, from a PASSING test crying. My next test I was a little shaky but not as bad nerves wise. I think you just got to go out there and have some good days and have some bad days. Sorry you didn't do as well as you wanted :(

It's perfectly normal! It's called adrenaline crash, and some of us get it worse than others. Those of you who've seen me at competitions know that I'm almost always either in floods of tears or totally over the moon immediately after competing, and that it is totally not safe to talk to me until I've had a great deal of chocolate and, arguably, a few swigs from my hip-flask! And even without the hip-flask, I nearly always have a severe headache going home and am good for nothing for a couple of days afterwards. And I know I'm not the only skater affected in this way.

sk8_4fun
09-28-2007, 12:02 PM
have any of you ever felt like you never wanted to skate ever again?:(

SynchroSk8r114
09-28-2007, 01:17 PM

I think that every skater hits that at least one point in his/her career. I've never personally felt that I never wanted to skate, but I did go through a rough year with an ex-coach who basically destoryed my self-esteem by telling me that I'd never make it past my Intermediate freestyle. It got to the point where I figured that when (and if) I passed my Intermedaite, I'd just focus on dance and free dances; however, enough was enough and something in me snapped.

I made a total coaching change (now skating with two coaches, one dance, one freestyle) and relocated to an entirely different rink. My two coaches now have helped me come such a long way. I'm working on doubles up through double loop and my Pre-Gold dances. They believe in me and now I do too! Sure, I've had those ups and downs in skating - who doesn't?! - but I'm determined to get through at least my Novice (maybe Junior...we'll see...) freestyle and prove to that old coach who said I couldn't do it that I can and surpass her wildest expectations.

Now whenever I feel frustrated it's because I have so many people that believe I can do it and I'm just not physically capable...yet. I will be someday, but that whole patience thing sucks. It is nice, however, to be feeling that way because I know I can do and so do others and I'm just not giving it all I can instead of because I've been beaten down and told I've reached my limit.

There's this really nice quote I like that says, "A friend is someone who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself," and I've found that out after relocating to my new rink. I now have others there to support me when I feel I just can't give it anymore. Knowing that you have someone else that you don't want to let down motivates me to work that much harder. I mean, if someone else sees that potential in you, why not try to see it in yourself? :D

Not sure why you're feeling that way, but maybe some time away from the ice would help? Maybe just taking that little time to rejuvenate will give you that extra drive to get back to skating? If nothing else, you'll be able to see if this is something you really want to be doing. If it is, don't give up! Skating's a difficult sport, it doesn't come naturally to everyone. (Ask me, I should know!) But that's what makes it so wonderful. It's hard, but the challenge of failing 19 times and succeeding the twentieth makes it all worthwhile in the long run. Hang in there...this feeling will pass! :)

sk8_4fun
09-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I think I have to recognise that Competition is not for me but I would like the challenge of testing to work towards. Some changes need to be made and I will take a bit of time out to get them straight. Just glad to know I'm normal!! thanks again,

Jayne xxxx

Sessy
09-28-2007, 05:10 PM
well I don't know if it's normal, but I've felt a little traumatised yes, although I love the magic of the ice too much to think differently about skating.

Mrs Redboots
09-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Yes, definitely! Like last Sunday.

Are you at the BAC? Silly question, really, because if you are, you aren't on-line. We are heading off in a few minutes, and if you are, I'll see you there.