View Full Version : Skating in Chicago

mskater
09-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking someone will have some info for me, especially since AN's were recently held in Chicago. I am going to the city next weekend and would like to skate some (very casually) if possible. Are there any rinks with public sessions that are easily accessible via the city's transit system? Ideally a shopping mall rink??

Thanks in advance and any "inside" tips on how to get there from O'hare would be greatly appreciated as well!!

-Chad

techskater
09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
The only rink I am aware of somewhat accessible from the El is Robert Crown Center in Evanston (purple line). It's about a mile walk once you get off the El. You'd have to take the line from O'Hare into the city, tranfer to the red line North, get off at Howard, transfer to the purple line and go two stops north to Main St then walk west between 1/2 and 1 mile.

Everything else is really car accessible that I am aware of.

mskater
09-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks! Have you been to this rink? Is the studio rink big enough to skate nicely on? I would think the public from 1pm would not be too crowded on a Friday?

I don't mind the commute and walk since it will all be new terrain for me:]

manleywoman
09-13-2007, 11:23 AM
There really aren't many rinks accessible by public transit except for the outdoor rink at Millennium Park in the winter. The only two I know of are Robert Crown in Evanston, and McFetridge on California between Addison and Irving Park. You could take the blue line to Irving Park, get off and hop on an eastbound bus to California, and walk one block south to McFetridge. Would be a lot closer than Evanston from OHare.

Sadly, every suburb around OHare has a rink and are a lot closer, but you'd need a car to get there.

techskater
09-13-2007, 12:04 PM
The studio is big enough to skate on, but usually the guards don't allow spirals because it's a little small for that.

mskater
09-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Fantastic - I am determined to skate somewhere despite the ride/walk, etc:] You guys should come skate with me!:]

techskater
09-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Some of us have to work for a living, unfortunately! ;)

RCC is a bit of a hike for me - I live NW of there by about 15 miles (and 55 minutes! 8O) and 1P on Friday is a standing work meeting time. :?? Why not rent a car and come skate with me out in the "real" suburbs at Glacier Ice Arena in Vernon Hills? We skate at 6A daily....

mr7740
09-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Also on Friday, McFetridge has a public session from 12-1:30 that is $3 and it is geared for adults who figure skate. It is pretty low key and not too busy. There is a core group of about 8-10 people who are usually there.

mskater
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Also on Friday, McFetridge has a public session from 12-1:30 that is $3 and it is geared for adults who figure skate. It is pretty low key and not too busy. There is a core group of about 8-10 people who are usually there.

That is too Awesome! I am totally in, you won't miss me, 6'3, tall and skinny:] I should be with one of my sisters, possible both of them. Thanks for the input!

mskater
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
McFetridge on California between Addison and Irving Park. You could take the blue line to Irving Park, get off and hop on an eastbound bus to California, and walk one block south to McFetridge. Would be a lot closer than Evanston from OHare.

Fantastic - can you just confirm these directions are from O'hare to McFetridge? Thanks!

manleywoman
09-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Fantastic - can you just confirm these directions are from O'hare to McFetridge? Thanks!

Correct. From the Blue Line at OHare to McFetridge:

Blue Line to the Irving Park stop.
Hope on an eastbound Irving Park bus.
Get off at California.
Walk one block south, and it's the complex is on the left.

mskater
09-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Correct. From the Blue Line at OHare to McFetridge:

Blue Line to the Irving Park stop.
Hope on an eastbound Irving Park bus.
Get off at California.
Walk one block south, and it's the complex is on the left.

You rock! Doomo Arigato Gozaimashita!!:]