View Full Version : Limber or Stiff! (Sept 10 to 16)

Rusty Blades
09-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Come on people! It is Tuesday and here I am starting the practice thread again.

So, in honour of the way I felt this morning, here goes:

Stiff: Tired and stiff from a weekend on my feet and on the run - not at all "sharp" for skating!

Everything stunk....

Limber: .... except Upright spins. Some good ones were actually getting to 2-1/2 and 3 revolutions :mrgreen:

Stiff: Coach seemed distracted today to and lesson was a bit scattered. The music system was also on the fritz and we couldn't play CDs.

Lets just say today was a bit of a write-off. :frus:

Skate@Delaware
09-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Stiff: Wow, Dianne, you hit it on the head with how I'm feeling...very stiff! My lower back is killing me so I bailed on the morning session. Maybe it's the rain. I'm trying to call my chiro but I'm afraid I won't be getting in today and will have to wait until my appointment on Thursday :cry:

Limber: It's my day off, so instead of laying in bed with heat (yeah I should) I'm cleaning house. at least I'm moving. I teach later this evening. I think I'm on plastic again. My house is trashed and there wasn't even a party to blame it on! 8O I ordered new blades and a skate sharpener.

jazzpants
09-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Limber:

Pretty good skating session actually considering. I got my loop and my flip at the beginning and showed it to an old skating friend who hasn't seen me for a while. (Just to show how long it's been since he's seen me, the last time I saw him I had BLACK skating boots... and he did ask "Since when did I get purple boots?") He also says that I almost have my lutz too. Just not landing it clean. But he did see my clean loop and flip!!! :mrgreen:

Stiff:
Of course, THEN he wanted me to go into my loop and flip faster and well, I haven't quite gotten used to landing the jump clean at that speed yet. :giveup:

Limber again:
WOW!!! 3 good 3-revs camel spins in a row. Position is almost there too from what I saw in the reflection!!! HOLY COW!!! I hope primary coach was watching... 8O

Sorta Stiff:
Well, of course, given my good luck with the camel that I'll go, push my luck and try for the camel-sit!!! Well, there's a reason I said "push my luck." :giveup: (But it was a reasonable attempt. I did get into a squat sit.)

doubletoe
09-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Rusty, thank you for choosing this theme rather than "rotated or popped" LOL! I am so depressed over the deterioration of my jumps right now that it is much more pleasant to focus on something else!

Stiff
My neck has actually been really stiff for the past two days. Doesn't affect skating too much, though, so can't really complain. . .
Flying camel still wonky and reverse sit still erratic. :frus:
Jumps over 1 revolution are erratic and/or MIA these days (except on the floor, which I don't believe counts). :giveup:

Limber
Consistently able to get a full split on the ballet barre on both legs now, which makes my inner third grader happy (it was one of those things that made a girl "cool" back then, LOL!).
Did MIF this morning and they were not too awful, considering how often I (don't) practice them.

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Limber: Lovely sharp blades and smooth ice! Husband (who has not had his blades sharpened) managed a decent spin and (he says) a decent loop, but only one of each.

We had fun playing with the European Waltz, and then going over various dances we want to keep current.

Stiff: Me, skating backwards! Especially on the end pattern of the Fiesta Tango, scrape, scrape, scrape what a horrid noise....

Morgail
09-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Consistently able to get a full split on the ballet barre on both legs now, which makes my inner third grader happy (it was one of those things that made a girl "cool" back then, LOL!).

Congrats! Heehee - I remember trying to do splits with my friends on the school playground. None of us could do them. Being able to do one-handed cartwheels made you pretty cool too (I couldn't do those either!).

Bill_S
09-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Limber: The ice rink opens for the season on Monday! It will be fun getting back up to speed. Hope I haven't forgotten too much.

Stiff: Scheduled for oral surgery (wisdom teeth) on Friday. I'd better feel OK by the Monday ice session, or ...grrrr!

Limber: New boots and blades should be arriving in a week or two.

doubletoe
09-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Congrats! Heehee - I remember trying to do splits with my friends on the school playground. None of us could do them. Being able to do one-handed cartwheels made you pretty cool too (I couldn't do those either!).

Oh yeah, cartwheels were the OTHER cool thing, LOL! (Isn't it funny that no matter where you grow up, those are the cool things for girls to be able to do?) But in spite of the unrequited childhood dream, my adult judgment is telling me to leave the cartwheel alone, ROFL!

jazzpants
09-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Oh yeah, cartwheels were the OTHER cool thing, LOL! (Isn't it funny that no matter where you grow up, those are the cool things for girls to be able to do?) But in spite of the unrequited childhood dream, my adult judgment is telling me to leave the cartwheel alone, ROFL!
I have a fellow adult skater slightly older than me who can do a handstand with a wall assist. Of course, given her body type (very short and skinny), she can pass for a gymnast, even though she's never been one (to my knowledge anyway.) But...yeah, VERY KEWL!!! 8-)

looplover
09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Limber: We started choreographing my bronze program on Monday, much fun! OK, my coach choreographed it and I tried to remember it (and didn't do a great job). Some challenging footwork in that. I will practice it in my living room as well. Sorry, downstairs neighbor...(I'll try to wait until he goes out...).

Stiff: My practice the day before lasted 20 minutes, I felt crappy - haven't been jumping well lately but I'm out of practice because I focused on moves for a couple of months.

BatikatII
09-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Stiff: ice was pretty bad today - problems with Zam apparently. Not expecting a good skate but...

limber: Ran through my brand new ( and unfinished) programme (am I daft to attempt to do a new programme just 4 weeks before the British Adult Championships - yes I think I am!) and was amazed to land a pretty decent flip and then a loop-loop in it. Coach was even more amazed since we hadn't even put the loop-loop in the programme - I just felt like it! Probably wont' manage it again for a while.:lol:

Love this programme though - it feels good and I love my music so it makes me happy to skate it. Not a hope of a medal at Championships though, so have to just go and enjoy it.

Kim to the Max
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
So, no actual skating has occurred this week yet, however.....

LIMBER:
I start lessons on FRIDAY!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

After stopping skating in college, and not taking lessons for about 9 years, I am heading back to the ice!! I am super excited :D

There are a couple of goals...1) get back into shape, 2) eventually pass my senior moves (I tested through juv), 3) land some doubles....

My mother is concerned about me trying doubles because she thinks I'm too old...I'm ONLY 27! and in many ways for me it's mind over matter :)

dbny
09-11-2007, 08:58 PM

After stopping skating in college, and not taking lessons for about 9 years, I am heading back to the ice!! I am super excited :D

There are a couple of goals...1) get back into shape, 2) eventually pass my senior moves (I tested through juv), 3) land some doubles....

My mother is concerned about me trying doubles because she thinks I'm too old...I'm ONLY 27! and in many ways for me it's mind over matter :)

Congratulations and welcome back! You are definitely not too old, but take it easy, don't be in a hurry for those doubles.

Limber:
Pushed myself into doing some high-er energy patterns yesterday, like F & B power XO's, F & B cross strokes, BXO's to BO edges, etc. I often do not do complete patterns, and have let my stamina deteriorate, so this was fun and I actually got sweaty enough to take off my jacket. One foot spins were happening for a while.

Stiff:
I seem to have taken a step back on the Prelim power three pattern. The fix for the L side has confused my R side :x, and there is nothing worse on that pattern than being indecisive as you step forward in the Choctaw. I have decided that it's time to take B threes seriously and planned to spend about half an hour doing them two footed. After catching an edge several times, that way, I got freaked out to the point that I had to stop. Then I realized that I had been on the ice an hour and a half and had skated harder than usual in that time, so I called it quits. I've been such a slacker! Didn't get to practice at all today because I had to get up early to teach, and was too tired :cry:.

RinkRat321
09-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Limber:
got a buncha compliments on my i-spin today :D
clean axels
clean double sal
okay double loops
New skates came in! and the blades are mounted just right :)

Stiff
Stiff = my new boots haha

Kim to the Max
09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Congratulations and welcome back! You are definitely not too old, but take it easy, don't be in a hurry for those doubles.

I'm definitely not in too much of a hurry :) I need to make sure my basics are up to snuff!

Morgail
09-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Yay for you!! I had 9 years in between stopping skating and starting again, too:) And I fully intend to be able to land at least a few doubles (in maybe a few years!), and I'm 28:D
Have fun!

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Stiff: Very tired this morning so only skated 45 minutes of the available hour. Did a Willow Waltz to the music and scraped on every one of the chassés. Sigh!

Limber: Did a lap or so of just chassés and didn't scrape. One of Life's Little Mysteries! Husband was playing with what might prove to be the start of a spiral sequence - I was the one telling him which spirals worked and which didn't, and suggesting variations he might try.

jskater49
09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Limber: Got my dd's coach to come in at 5:45 and give me a lesson. We started my artistic to "Master of the House" - DD has commented on this - coach likes getting people on their toes. I do this backward toe walking that actually wasn't as bad as I thought - coach was even surprised I did it so well. It should be a cute program.

then I practiced mohawks and surprised myself how brave I was doing them...did the 5 step, felt like they were still rushed and sloppy sloppy sloppy but was doing them with some speed and flow and not hesitating before my bad side. I kept thinking about bending my knees before changing feet and it seemed to help.

Hour of ice monitor duty, then back on the ice for lesson with dance/moves coach and I decided to see if I could still do mohawks.

Coach was SHOCKED. She could not believe the improvement. She was shocked and amazed. "What made the difference? This is amazing." She was afraid even to say anything for fear they would go away. She said my upper body was very still - no leaning back and forth. She wanted to see more knee bend, and get my feet closer together and bring the foot close to the instep and I actually did everything she said. Then she tried to get me to touch my feet like I do for a dance to avoid wide stepping and that threw me off.

Power 3s. She said my problem is not my 3 turns. My 3 turns are beautiful. My timing is off and then we realized I was curving around too much before the crossover which was getting me off pattern and so I was getting closer and closer to the wall. We pretty much fixed that.

Tried a few Swing mohawks and I still rush those too much and we didn't have a lot of time to fix that.

It was a very good skating day. I was due one of those.

Stiff. I volunteered to chair the Spring Ice Show. Yea there's a reason nobody else would do it and I'm sure I'll find out...

j

desabelle
09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Limber: My layback is back! I finally got the speed up, and managed to hold the position for a good 7 or 8 revolutions. There was much rejoicing.

I moved the start of the Blues back two feet, and over another foot, and miraculously it now fills out the rink and is perfectly on pattern without much effort. I don't start lessons again until the sixth of october (lots of time to get it up to snuff) so I'm hoping that my new coach feels confident enough in my dancing ability to let me take the Rhumba right after it.

I've been stretching everyday and my spirals are definitely improving because of it. Yay.

Stiff:

Camel Spin: Completely non existant. My body really isn't comprehending the idea of 'snap' very well right now. I'm getting into position but rotating s.u.p.e.r s.l.o.w.l.y and only getting two or three rotations in there because of it. Bah.

Jumps: I swear I'm only getting an inch off the ice. Definitely going to work on those take offs this week.

jazzpants
09-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Stiff:

This morning is just not starting right. I got caught in some really gnarkly traffic going up towards San Francisco so I didn't get to my lesson on time. I'm just :frus:

THEN it gets better... since primary coach is working me on my programs, secondary coach is gonna work on SILVER MOVES for the "foreseeable future." Of course, she then has me working on power pulls (b/c she didn't want to work on 8 step b/c my FO mohawk SUCKS and needs work and I didn't want to go into doing spirals w/cold muscles.) She's very particular about when to bend and straighten the knee. I did get a bit more power towards the end, but then I lose the timing of when to bend, straighten and rebend the knee and then :frus:

Flip is gone for the day. :frus:

Limber:
Practiced a bit after the lesson and my loop was there, though I still had to slow down the edge long enough to set up for the jump.

doubletoe
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
So, no actual skating has occurred this week yet, however.....

LIMBER:

Well, Rena Inoue is landing (and falling on!) throw triple axels at 30 and I don't think she started doing them until she was 28, so I think you'll be just fine! ;) Welcome back to the ice!

Rusty Blades
09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Stiff: It must be the onset of cold weather and my "hibernation instinct" but I am just physically NOT with it this week! Nothing was working.

In lesson we played with back edges, jumps, and sit spin - YUK!

Limber: Then head coach skates through lesson and comments "You have improved SO MUCH!" 8O YIKES! What channel was SHE watching!

BatikatII
09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Stiff. I volunteered to chair the Spring Ice Show. Yea there's a reason nobody else would do it and I'm sure I'll find out...

j

Good luck with that. I'm currently organising our club's annual skating gala.:halo: I wasn't even at the meeting and I got stuck with it. :x My own fault I suppose for suggesting some ideas for selecting the skaters for it. Must learn to keep my mouth shut and not write down my ideas for people. I'm planning to come off the committee after it though - I've had enough. Too many people on it for the wrong reasons and too many that think they know it all when they don't!:lol: Anyway I think I've done my bit - in my time I've been membership secretary and newsletter editor for our club, as well as lots of other volunteering things. Some of it's been fun and I like to think I've made a difference to the kids but I need a rest!:lol:

limber: had a couple of Ok runthroughs of Free dance for championships - it's still a toss-up as to whether I get the timing right though.

Stiff: in pain from ankles rubbing and from bunions - all those years of not wearing high heels to look after my feet and now I've ruined them skating!

Muskoka Skater
09-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Limber: Spins, Spirals, Axels, Double loops, and Double toes.

Stiff: Was very tired out there because of school starting up, stiff from soccer and tramp the night before.

liz_on_ice
09-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Stiff - add me to the list of people feeling cruddy and skating worse. Bleah.

Scarlett
09-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Limber-
Coach is noticing improvement on the accursed sit spin.

Stiff-
Jumps are still not working well. I've lost a lot of weight in the last couple of months and I swear it is wrecking havoc on my jumps.

tidesong
09-12-2007, 10:01 PM
wierd, kinda same here, but I could do the splits when young and I got my dad to help me with the cartwheel... I practised up to the one hand thing then I lost it. I now need both hands for it. Still it wasn't so much with friends, my extended family was the one happily encouraging me to do those things from time to time lol.

Stiff:
Knee... right knee its much better but get stiff ish. Still favouring it. Going to be remain as cautious as possible on it.

Limber:
Spins still exist? Well most things are pretty ok. Ice conditions are deteriorating again... mad season (want ice but don't get good ice) approaches.

Skittl1321
09-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Limber Did ONE perfect scratch spin today. Man I wish I could spin like that all the time.

-Coach said sit spin was "really good 'for an adult'" Now normally, this is a backhanded compliment, but I only learned the sit spin yesterday, so not too shabby I don't think.

Stiff My left leg about 2 inches above my ankle hurts really really bad. No idea why.

My laces didn't fall off today but got REALLY lose, even though I'm lacing over the hooks instead of under.

YAY me with a crappy but "good for an adult" sit spin. My ultimate goal is bronze tests- so that sit spin is important.

kimberley801
09-12-2007, 10:50 PM
8O Newly sharpened blades 8O

Limber: My edges more much more secure. Mohawks are improving immensely, and backwards crossovers aren't as scratchy now. I'm still scared to death about falling on the CCW BXOs. Oh, and my group lesson turned into a private lesson since I was the only one there.

Stiff: My two-foot spin was nonexistent :frus:. My edges were very grabby. And stopping was difficult (but still possible!!) Hopefully this is just temporary until the blades dull up a bit.

chowskates
09-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Well, Rena Inoue is landing (and falling on!) throw triple axels at 30 and I don't think she started doing them until she was 28, so I think you'll be just fine! ;) Welcome back to the ice!

Woohoo, do I still have a chance? Please, just the double will do, I promise to be good! :halo:

Rusty Blades
09-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Limber: Spent the first bit of my session fixing the sound system at the rink - after numerous MEN had screwed it up 8O It is now working fine :mrgreen:

Stiff: Still in the physical doldrums - not much working good today except a couple of upright spins that really clicked and a few Waltz jumps that caught some good air. (Geez, maybe the old broad is actually going to be able to do REAL jumps one day!)

Worked on back edges and "off side 3-turns" (I spin and jump clockwise so counterclockwise turns are harder for me than clockwise, ergo "off side".) Pretty pathetic!

Laura H
09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Still waiting on definite news about the rink re-opening . . . maybe 1st public session on Sunday or Monday?? Got the freestyle ice schedule and there have been some changes that I don't think are going to go over well . . . freestyle sessions in the past lasted 45 minutes each with (usually) 2 sessions back to back with a discount for the second if you wanted to skate both. Now they are requiring freestyle sessions of 1 1/2 hours each at a cost that is higher than it was before . . . ah well, beggars can't be choosers . . . but I am afraid that if attendance drops because of the changes, then management will cut back on the ice time :frus: . . . hopefully not. I already warned our coach that we will probably have to switch DS' lessons to public sessions and she is OK with that, thank goodness. (it's not just the cost, but also that 45 minutes of high intensity freestyle practice is about all 9-year-old DS is good for! :oops: and I would be not too happy if he was goofing off at those prices!! :roll: ).

Oh, and there *ARE* group lessons planned for the adults . . . starting in October . . . hopefully it won't be just ME . . .may have to round up a few more AOSS "victims" !

Laura H
09-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Limber

YAY me with a crappy but "good for an adult" sit spin. My ultimate goal is bronze tests- so that sit spin is important.

I hear ya!!!! Way to go on the PERFECT scratch spin too! :bow:

Morgail
09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
My laces didn't fall off today but got REALLY lose, even though I'm lacing over the hooks instead of under.

I read somewhere just yesterday (maybe somewhere on this board?) about someone needing new laces because hers were stretched out and falling off her skate hooks. So, maybe it's the laces, and you might need to get new ones?
And congrats on the perfect scratch spin!! :D

momsk8er
09-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Limber - literally - yoga and weight training lately have me feeling 25 again! yippie! because of that my MIF are really getting better. Dang right inside 3 (yes I'm a CW skater) is really improving, almost feeling relaxed.

Also, got 3 revs on a camel spin.

Stiff - Back spin still looks like a series of 3 turns (altho now I have nice LBO3's - ha).

doubletoe
09-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Woohoo, do I still have a chance? Please, just the double will do, I promise to be good! :halo:

ROFL!!:lol:

icedancer2
09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Stiff: Me, this week. Haven't been doing as much yoga, etc. and I can really feel it!

Got my blades sharpened for the first time in about 8 months - they were really dull and I was feeling really unstable - now they are so sharp there is virtually no flow (push! push!) but everything feels a LOT more stable so that is good I guess.

Limber: Skated at the mall rink which is literally 5 minutes from my house yesterday and actually had a good time - met a couple of friends there unexpectedly and had an okay practice. It helps that they are cutting the ice more often and there were only 5 or 6 of us on the ice. I may have to go there more often!

Back to my old hockey rink this morning - very quiet and the guys there had the classical station on so the four of us that were there just enjoyed the quiet calm of a nice session. So glad the kids are back in school (although I do like them!).

Hmm. I know this is meant to be a practice thread, but somehow I always end up talking about the ice, the people, etc. - just practicing the same old stuff I guess. Don't really find myself wanting to work on Silver Moves, that's for sure... maybe pre-Gold dances?
:giveup:

Rusty Blades
09-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Stiff: It has been a BUSY 3 weeks so I decided to take the day off and do a rare Friday session – sneak in an extra practice without my coach knowing. Well, that worked until my coach showed up for another student 8O

Worked on back edges, upright spins, sit spins, Waltz jump, and 3 turns.

Limber: Holy mackerel, the sit spins actually started coming together! They are going to be stronger and faster than my upright spins (which are constantly improving). Now all I have to do is EXIT the sit spin looking like I am in control :roll:

Stiff: Yup, that's me after skating 4 days in a row :giveup:

dbny
09-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Limber:
FO and FI threes are much better and more controlled. On the FO threes, I am so very, very close to checking good enough to get back to the line on the Prelim alt three pattern. As an exercise, I've been starting on the center hockey circle 1/4 of the way before the red line and doing the turn on the line, trying to hold the exit edge for another 1/4 circle so that my entire lobe is half a circle.

Stiff:
Spins! I just could not tighten up all the required muscles at the same time today! I really have to start exercising off ice if I am ever going to be good at this. I'm just too old to build enough strength by skating practice alone. As an exercise for spins, my coach had me do a LFO edge with R shoulder back, back to the circle and hold it all the way around one complete circle. It wasn't easy. :roll:

Skate@Delaware
09-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Oh man!!! I'd be closer to getting the splits if I was able to loosen up more with the deep tissue massage! I was making such good progress then my guy closed up shop. I haven't found anyone else as good...and I tighten right back up. It's frustrating like anything!
I have never been able to do splits, but could do cartwheels, flips, and roundoffs. Once, I thought I was Nadia or Olga (remember waaaay back) and had my own balance beam in the back yard (way up high also) and used to do cartwheels on it 8O I'm lucky I didn't kill myself!!!!

let's not talk about the trick riding I used to do or the time I broke 3 ribs and never told my parents...........

Ok, on to what I did on Wednesday:
Limber: my jumps, mostly. We worked on my arm position because I keep forgetting where they were supposed to be. Ran through the loop and it was thiiiiiiis close!!!! Coach really liked my height and rotation! I am getting there! Then, miracle of miracles, she fixed my spin! Again, we did the heel pressing down trick, and the other thing that had to be fixed was my free leg position. I was bringing it around too quickly so I kept it back longer and that seemed to work! I went from 2-3 revs (isn't that pathetic?) to about 10. My rocker is still messed up (flat) but this is doable.

Stiff: my back. A combination of too long between chiro visits, my killer classes on Monday, and moving furniture on Tuesday; my back siezed up and got tighter than anything...and very painful! So, in addition to working on the scratch spin, we worked (or tried) on sit spins. So, I'm going on 3 seasons of attempts. Fell over a few times on them. I don't know why I have a hard time doing them. I can get into the position off-ice. When I try on-ice, I have such a mental thing and I can't....it's stupid and i hate it! That was the only bad thing going on Wednesday night. It was frustrating to both of us.

Emberchyld
09-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I read somewhere just yesterday (maybe somewhere on this board?) about someone needing new laces because hers were stretched out and falling off her skate hooks. So, maybe it's the laces, and you might need to get new ones?
And congrats on the perfect scratch spin!! :D

That may have been me-- my laces just kept popping off at random times. Right now, I have one boot with a new lace and one boot with the old, and I can definitely say that it's a big difference-- the new ones are secure and stay under the hooks when I move while the old ones still threaten to unhook (I need to replace the lace in the other boot now that the "test lacing" has been proven out).

Limber: PB moves are starting to feel more solid, as is the freestyle portion. Since I can spin in both directions, I'm going to test my one foot and two foot spins in both directions "for the heck of it", and my toe loop has been... not so bad.

Stiff: My CCW spin has been yuck these past two days... it's been hit or miss on centering. But tommorrow, it can be my CW spin that goes wonky. I hate being inconsistent.

That #$@%$@$% waltz 8:frus: :frus: How the H-e-double hockey sticks am I supposed to practice this? Seriously-- every time I start the pattern, regardless of how empty the ice is, someone or their coach skates right towards me and I'm forced to yield. I've had more luck practicing this on public session. IMHO, if they want people to test patterns like this, rinks should be required to have patch sessions of a sort, because no one on freestyle yields!:frus:
And on the same vein... I get freestyle rules. I yield to coaches and students (to the best of my ability) and I try to yield to skaters on program. But I pay the same price for the ice-- so why is it so hard for coaches not to direct their students right into me when I'm working on moves? It's not like I'm doing something unpredictable. Most coaches are okay (I even had one apologize for his student cutting me off, even though it wasn't his fault), but others have done it to the point of being obnoxious. If I go clear across the rink to avoid you and your student, please don't follow me, especially if the ice is empty!:roll:

/end rant

Skate@Delaware
09-14-2007, 08:01 PM
And on the same vein... I get freestyle rules. I yield to coaches and students (to the best of my ability) and I try to yield to skaters on program. But I pay the same price for the ice-- so why is it so hard for coaches not to direct their students right into me when I'm working on moves? It's not like I'm doing something unpredictable. Most coaches are okay (I even had one apologize for his student cutting me off, even though it wasn't his fault), but others have done it to the point of being obnoxious. If I go clear across the rink to avoid you and your student, please don't follow me, especially if the ice is empty!:roll:

/end rant
you know, this seems to happen everywhere! Although at my rink (luckily) only 2-3 coaches are repeat offenders and only with 1-2 students (their more advanced ones). I have a problem with the KIDS following me and getting in my way.

I buck down and tell them "I'm going to the other side to practice. Please don't interrupt me while I'm working on my moves" and that seems to be working so far.

But I almost got knocked by two kids practicing their routine-I suggested they look where they were going. They said they didn't have to-they were in a program! 8O No coach....so we had a quick review of the rules....:twisted: Don't worry, I was nice. For now!!!

Kim to the Max
09-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Limber: I had my first lesson in 9 years today!! It went well...I kept forgetting that while I have skated, I haven't really skated seriously or with a coach for so long. While I hurt now, I am sooooo happy!! Coach commented that my form and posture were really good :) Did moves in the field which went okay

Stiff: Well, it was hard to remember that it's okay to not do everything perfectly. But I wasn't feeling the perimeter stroking with the back power 3s, or the back double 3s from moves, and then just jumping was not going very well...

dbny
09-14-2007, 11:23 PM
When I try on-ice, I have such a mental thing and I can't....it's stupid and i hate it!

Here's what I tell my students when they say "I can't" - "You can't yet!"

Seriously-- every time I start the pattern, regardless of how empty the ice is, someone or their coach skates right towards me and I'm forced to yield. I've had more luck practicing this on public session. IMHO, if they want people to test patterns like this, rinks should be required to have patch sessions of a sort, because no one on freestyle yields!:frus:

/end rant

Some coaches just seem oblivious to what is going on except for the lesson they are giving. I was on the ice with another coach (a coworker) who was teaching a "group" of one. There was one other skater on the ice, and when she came towards us, clearly doing an Intermediate move that needed to go exactly where we were standing, he didn't notice, and the poor kid had to detour. This coach is otherwise a very nice person. It was all I could do not to interrupt and say "let's move for her".

jazzpants
09-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Well, I guess it's neither... but I am now working on my artistic program. (It's a "Limber" for secondary coach, who is anxious to see how this program comes out of the wash when it's done.)

Stiff:
Problem with the program is that I'm a tad shy and this program requires me to be "flashy, flamboyant and a bit flirty!" It's to the point where everyone else is shakin' their booty for me rather than me shakin' my own...

Limber:
The beginning of the program is started to set just a tad.

Skate@Delaware
09-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Well, I guess it's neither... but I am now working on my artistic program. (It's a "Limber" for secondary coach, who is anxious to see how this program comes out of the wash when it's done.)

Stiff:
Problem with the program is that I'm a tad shy and this program requires me to be "flashy, flamboyant and a bit flirty!" It's to the point where everyone else is shakin' their booty for me rather than me shakin' my own...

Limber:
The beginning of the program is started to set just a tad.
You know, jazz, these programs are a good way for us to "act up or act out"!!!! Put on your acting hat and pretend you are someone else if that works.

I had to wear a rubber ducky swim ring and shake my booty for our summer ice show.....how's that for acting (and i'm 45 years old!!!!) 8O

LilJen
09-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Stiff: Oh, yes, that left ankle is indeed!

Limber: But hey, the more I skate on it (yesterday was skate #3; a short, no-effort skate on Sunday at synchro practice was #2) the more limber & strong it will get.

Stiff: DEFINITELY no jumping for a while (L foot lander/CW jumper). Can't hold an outside edge on the left foot to save my life. So unless I switch back to CCW--which isn't totally out of the question, as I either have no preference or no talent (!!) CW vs CCW--no jumping.

Limber: Could mostly get through my PB moves, although I don't feel confident yet to do to 3-turn pattern.

Stiff: Nasty little double "on the flat" lines on LBO and LFO "edges." Grrr!!! Gonna take a while to get my ankle strong enough to really tilt onto that edge.

Limber: Very, very wonderful changes at rink, with new management now in place: (1) TONS of public skating, 7 days a week & twice--wait, no, thrice!--on Fridays; yesterday it was just me and dance buddy (and he was probably alone as I left after an hour) (2) Satellite radio!! They were playing some blues station, with no commercials thank you very much, instead of the schlocky pop they used to play; (3) nice ice; may have just been a coincidence, but I hope it means the Zamboni drivers are taking more care lately. Oh, and (4) FIFTEEN people on our adult synchro team this season! I hope everyone can stick with it.

badaxel
09-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Limber:
-found out that my most recent axel issues are due to OVER rotation! I had been trying harder when my axel broke down, but it turns out I need to try less hard!
-really started to understand the concept of the double salchow- it's only a bell jump now, but...
-September is "back camel" month, and mine is really starting to get stronger! I can do the change camel and flying camel pretty strongly now, and can do a catch spin for both.

Stiff:
-still really having a tough time getting that axel consistent:frus:
-my back sit spin and combination spins are really weak- I think they each need a month!
-when can I take my Intermediate moves??? I need a good test session that won't make me take off from work or interfere with my closing/ moving into my new house!

Really Limber:
Yankees, 9, Red Sox 8 WOOHOO!

Sessy
09-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Muscle ache from yesterday's MIF practice here! Surreal!!! 8O

Scarlett
09-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Limber:
Dance coach says my dutch waltz and canasta tango are ready to test. Now to just find a partner.

Stiff:
Timing on rhythm and blues stinks.
Walked on the ice with my blade guards on. Got two strong pushes in before I totally wiped out.

Bill_S
09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Limber: I skated today!

Rink has ice now, and skate friend managed to schmooze up the rink manager for a couple unofficial (and FREE!) hours today. Officially, it's open Monday for freestyle, but thanks to skate friend I got in some early practice. It was just the two of us adults for the whole time.

Had oral surgery yesterday, so I took it very easy today. Still, I tasted blood occasionally. Probably not the best way to heal, but skating takes precedence!

Stiff: After skating only once since our rink closed at the end of March, most everything was rough. Double-three pattern for Gold Moves was bad, bad, bad. No style, rough threes, etc.

Some brackets are still around, but I didn't push those much in fear of ending up on the ice with even more blood. Spins were hit or miss, but I hit one that went on forever and that felt nice.

Pulled a back muscle coming out of a sit spin, but I have some wonderful pain-killing drugs for afterwards courtesy of the oral surgery. I'm feeling really good right now!

Overall, a very nice beginning.

doubletoe
09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
I yield to coaches and students (to the best of my ability) and I try to yield to skaters on program. But I pay the same price for the ice-- so why is it so hard for coaches not to direct their students right into me when I'm working on moves? It's not like I'm doing something unpredictable. Most coaches are okay (I even had one apologize for his student cutting me off, even though it wasn't his fault), but others have done it to the point of being obnoxious. If I go clear across the rink to avoid you and your student, please don't follow me, especially if the ice is empty!:roll:

/end rant

It's possible that some of these coaches aren't paying attention to you and just aren't being considerate. I know we have one coach at my rink who just doesn't seem to care, and it's very frustrating. However, it's also possible that the coaches are working on specific portions of the student's program, in which case the element they are working on needs to be done at the exact spot on the ice where it happens in the program. That could account for some of the instances where a coach directs a student to do something right where you are. Also, I don't know if this is common at other rinks, but at my rink, freestyle skaters are supposed to be given right of way over those doing dance or MIF, even if the freestyle skater isn't skating to her music. I don't think that is necessarily fair, but that's how it is at my rink, so we just have to put up with it if we're doing MIF and get interrupted (although if we're in a lesson at the time, we like to think people will be a little more courteous).

*JennaD*
09-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Limber: Landed some axels and a few double salchows!! my flying camels were also really good today!

I also asked my dance coach to teach me the Rocker, since I have spent SOO much time on American because I keep failing it...I really needed a change of pace...so he taught it to me, and my rocker turns are NOT AS BAD AS HE THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE!!! 8O :lol:

Stiff: My skills were pretty bad today...lol but I haven't been practicing them too much...

Skate@Delaware
09-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Yay for Bill S!!!!

Today was mostly stiff for my lower back but limber on ice for most of my my moves!!!

Limber: Managed to whack out a few more not-so-crappy scratch spins. Then I got brave and tried a sit, buy my back hurt too much. So I tried a backspin from the "running" i.e. 3-turn approach and managed about 4-5 revs!!! it was scary and I bailed!

Then did some back 3's...and moved on to jumps. I am making slooooow progress here. Even my toe-loop which was so promising the other day!

Stiff: My jumps will go here-my salchow...I'm not "scooping" through as much as I should be and my scooping leg is bent (like almost 90 degrees). Really bad. Stinky bad. For the toe-loop-I'm not vaulting but waltzing around. Maybe I was tired...Saturdays are a long session and I put my jumps at the end of the session. Maybe I need to put them right after my warmup. For the loop, I'm getting good height and rotation but my free leg is not "up" and it's still tapping down first when I land. :frus:

By the time I got off the ice (30 minutes early) I once again had shoot pains from the top of my hip bones down to my thighs. I even stopped periodically to stretch. This is really frustrating. So, I'm doing bouts of heat and ice. Wishing I had something stronger than tylenol-like a muscle relaxer. But I can't take them.... :frus: Hopefully, it will get better and I will heal.

sk8pics
09-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Terry, Sorry to hear you're having so much pain! Take care of yourself!

As for me, I skated today, another public session, my 5th time since I broke my ankle. It feels better and better, and I am able to skate a little faster each time without feeling like I'm going to kill myself. I also did some RFI mohawk, using the boards for some support, and they were okay. LFI mohawks are even a little better. And I did some RFO3's, again using the boards for a little support. But they didn't feel too bad. They were little, obviously, but still, the marks on the ice were there.8-) Baby steps, baby steps...

Happy skating everyone.

Emberchyld
09-16-2007, 03:43 PM
It's possible that some of these coaches aren't paying attention to you and just aren't being considerate. I know we have one coach at my rink who just doesn't seem to care, and it's very frustrating. However, it's also possible that the coaches are working on specific portions of the student's program, in which case the element they are working on needs to be done at the exact spot on the ice where it happens in the program. That could account for some of the instances where a coach directs a student to do something right where you are.

Most of it's #1-- I'm very careful, at my level, to watch out for people on lesson or learning their own patterns (and usually apologize if I do cut them off. But there have been some coaches who just don't seem to think! I wish I could excuse theor behavior and say it's #2, but most of the repeat offenders will have their student working on the same element alllllll over the rink, so I don't think it's program..

Today: Limber: My coach and I are very happy with my PB Freestyle elements, and with most of my PB MITF-- we ran through them both about 5-8 times the past two sessions
IMHO, I think, as a public session student, I should take the MITF test with a dozen hockey goons and birthday party kids. I'm convinced that empty ice will freak me out. In fact, I was finally able to figure out my waltz 8 because three little girls parked themselves right where I was not supposed to go-- and I turned at the right point because of them. Now I picture the kids in all of the "corners" of the 8.

Stiff: my whole body. I've been on the ice daily these past two weeks to prepare for the test, in addition to my regular daily gym visits and dance classes started up last week, so my poor body is starting to feel it. My hip is hurting again, my feet are a mess (pointe + skating... owwwww) and I'm operating on no sleep. I can't wait for this test to be over so that I can scatter the exercise a bit, because I'm starting to get too old for all of this stuff!

My waltz 8, CCW spin, and 3 turn pattern are inconsistent. I'm hoping they don't act up with nerves!

And my club is driving me crazy-- the officials promised a permission to test letter last last Friday, but haven't given me one yet... and the test is Wednesday. :frus:

Muskoka Skater
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
This for Friday night of skating

Limber: beatiful jumps and feels good to be back at my home rink

Stiff: my back is killing me, I have to crunch over to one side or it really hurts, and it's driving me insane!!!!

looplover
09-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Stiff: My entire body - two very nasty falls today. One on a loop, fell on my butt which should be painless but somehow got bottom of pelvic bone so sitting is not fun. One on the footwork of my new program, which requires me getting up on my toes fast in both directions three times. This particular move is scary and falling did NOT help that today. Stopped practicing it.

Kept trying to do the silver moves 3-turn pattern and kept changing into the FS4 footwork :roll: That wouldn't go over well on the test.

More whining: also was at least 25 years older than all skaters on the ice today and they rolled their eyes at me more than once :twisted: :twisted:

Stayed 45 minutes, left.

Had a "why am I going into major debt for this" moment.

Limber: But, I have a really good 8-step mohawk sequence! At least something went well this practice...

singerskates
09-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Stiff:

Father-In-Law died early morning on Sun. Sept. 9th, 2007 at the hospital after being in a nursing home for at least 5 years due to suffering from many stokes. I performed at his funeral on Tues. Sept. 11, 2007 singing and playing guitar as I choked down my emotions. The whole thing dampened my youngest (21 now) daughters 5 year anniversary (Sept. 9th) with her boyfriend and my husband's and my 24th wedding anniversary (Sept.10) not to mention that because we were emotionally drained, I post poned starting the fall/winter skating season until Friday. It was a really weird week.

My first attempts at spinning and jumping on Friday were lame. I couldn't get my body to jump or to enter spins. It took me a half session (had two one hour sessions in a row) just to do a itty bitty waltz jump and a mostly baked forward upright. I guess I was feeling quilty about skating.

My attempts with the pancake spin were hillarious. Most of the time, I couldn't get my hand to grab my freeleg up over my skating leg. And when I did get it there, I soon fell out. The only time I did get my leg up, I was too high in the sit and leaning too far forward in my spin and then caught my toe pick which quickly made me put my freeleg down in a hurry to save me from falling.

I was ok after skating on Saturday dispite the fact that after StarSkate was over, I taught Canskate making the CanSkaters fall and get up more than 10 times in a row. Then I was on the ice to assist with Pre-PowerSkating, demonstrating and eventually giving personal attention to one of the skaters. But then I got stupid and went to the gym and worked out. It wasn't until being at church this morning running around setting up the stage, that I felt the tender muscles. It's sore right where the butt bones are on both cheeks, my right abductor and just above my right knee.

Limber:
On Friday's second session, things started to work. I got my sitspin working along with my upright and my catch footspin.

On Saturday, I did back to back programs although they weren't the same program or disciplines. I started off with my freeskate and did almost every element I had planned. Then with not more than 2 seconds in between, I ran through my creative dance. I was so tired at the end of the second program that I skated towards

I'd tell you more but my head is bopping up and down over the keyboard.

I'm physically waisted.

Good-night.

singerskates

blackmanskating
09-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Limber: Camel spins are starting to center. (Finally) My flying camel is getting better which is a good thing. Finally got 6 revs that aren't ridiculously slow. I'm trying to improve my position and strength so that I can start combinations with it. I also started doing a death drop and it's working out better than my flying sit spin. Again, trying to improve height and air position. I want to be almost parallel to the ice when airbourne. Axel-double loop combination is starting to get solid. Double salchow is better than ever and that dreaded double toe is finally starting to look like a double toe instead of a toe axel. My skating side is finally starting to draw into my picking foot. Yay!!! I really hate toeloops. Starting my Choreography for my Gold level program. Hopefully, I'll pass all of my moves before January so I can perform it this year.

Stiff: Man my entire body is still very stiff. I'm trying to look better on ice and it's not working. My double flip and double lutz are completely gone. I keep popping them and landing forward so I'm only getting 1.5 revs. It's driving me nuts. Still haven't landed my double axel cleanly yet. ARRRGH!!!:frus:

Okay, I feel better now.

BlackManSkating

jazzpants
09-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Stiff:

All over, but especially my arms and shoulder. I had a personal training session with Ballet Guy on Sat. and he worked me really hard. Says that he's impressed that I'm able to "hold my form" the entire time. (He says a lot of his clients can't hold their form all the way thru the exercise. I find it hard to believe...) But anyway... my shoulders and arms are still sore from Saturday.

I should count myself lucky this weekend though... given that I wasn't even working out at the gym Thursday or Friday b/c of my JOB!!! We had a MAJOR software release this weekend and well, I'm a HUGE part of the deployment process. Worked all weekend 'til about 10pm (luckily mostly from home...) :evil:

Limber:

I did find myself a break between one of those "hurry up and wait" stages to get in a one hour skating session. :bow: BTW: You know you have AOSS when your coworkers tell you to take a break by telling you that something "is fixed now! Go skating now!!!" :P :lol:

Anywho...

Landed a bunch of loops and flips at speed today. 8O (Of course, this won't last tomorrow or thru the run thru. :roll: )
Back sit spin at the tail end of the public session was getting better. From what I saw on the Plexi-glass, it's starting to look to get close to a sit position now.

techskater
09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Jazz - you have to have more confidence in your abilities!!! You've got a self fullfilling prophesy if you think you won't be able to hang onto the loop and flip at speed. Believe - hey, I did it Monday, I can do it again!!

blackmanskating
09-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Jazz - you have to have more confidence in your abilities!!! You've got a self fullfilling prophesy if you think you won't be able to hang onto the loop and flip at speed. Believe - hey, I did it Monday, I can do it again!!

I concur!!!!!! 8-)

Thin-Ice
09-18-2007, 09:06 AM
My condolences to you and your family. I hope time will help all of you feel better.

Father-In-Law died early morning on Sun. Sept. 9th, 2007 at the hospital after being in a nursing home for at least 5 years due to suffering from many stokes. I performed at his funeral on Tues. Sept. 11, 2007 singing and playing guitar as I choked down my emotions. The whole thing dampened my youngest (21 now) daughters 5 year anniversary (Sept. 9th) with her boyfriend and my husband's and my 24th wedding anniversary (Sept.10) not to mention that because we were emotionally drained, I post poned starting the fall/winter skating season until Friday. It was a really weird week.

jazzpants
09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
singerskates: I'm very sorry to hear about your FIL! :cry: :cry: :cry: