View Full Version : torn labrum anyone?

ibreakhearts66
09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
so i've just been diagnosed with a torn labrum in my right hip. it seems that it has probably been there for years, but i finally got it checked out. has anyone had surgery for a torn hip labrum? i'm just wondering what it entails...

Morgail
09-10-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't know anything about it, but I'm so sorry! You've already had so many other injuries, etc....I'm sure this is the last thing you wanted:(

manleywoman
09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
coskater64 has. She'd be a great person to reference.

coskater64
09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I have,--advice: get a good doctor, I went to Dr. Philippon at Steadman-Hawkins in Vail, CO. He has done MK, Suriya Bonaly, Naomi Nari Nam (8/24), and thousands of pro hockey players and golfers. You can also do therapy to deal with the torn labrum, I highly recommend the cortisonne shots and NSAIDs.8O But that will only get you so far... the surgery for just a torn labrum is not bad but it gets more difficult if you need microfracture or there are other issues. Best to find a good doctor, get good opinions and be nice to your hip. PM me if you want the number for the main office in Vail.

Leslie

SkatingOnClouds
09-11-2007, 03:33 AM
What is the labrum? Whereabouts is it and what does it do?

wasabi
09-11-2007, 07:22 AM
I've had it too. My surgery was more than just the labrum, and my recovery was long and terrible, but I think the recovery from the simplest surgery is pretty short -- 10 weeks, I think? It's not a very long surgery if you don't get other things done, and if you're careful, I think the surgery pretty much fixes everything. My surgery didn't (I had some problems they couldn't operate on and some they wouldn't even touch until I finished growing) but the surgery did make a huge improvement in my pain level and finally enabled me to skate again. You also may not need surgery if the tear isn't too bad -- I know a senior man who tore his several years ago and has been fine with more careful training and rest when needed.

About what coskater64 said, the cortisone shots are wonderful. I didn't get any until two years after my surgery, when I was finally back on the ice, but they did help a lot. I'd be very, very careful with NSAIDs though. I was on pretty much every one on the market at some time, and they really do a number on your stomach. I took vioxx until it was pulled, and after that decided (against drs advice) that the decrease in pain wasn't worth the risk to my stomach. These days, I can't even take motrin unless I'm in excruciating pain.

Oh, and I second the recommendation of Phillipon. He is awesome.

coskater64
09-11-2007, 10:49 AM
The labrum --you have it in your shoulder and hip it is basically cartlidge. I was told to think of it this way. If you have ever done canning of fresh fruit you have the glass jar, a lid and intermediate layer that keeps it fresh the labrum is that layer between the lid and the jar that keep things fresh and opens easily. What make a labral tear painful is the tear if in the wrong spot will catch on the femoral head and tear microns of cartlidge with out this cartlidge you may build lesions on the inside of the acetablum (socket) or spurs once this labrum is gone you are basically bone-on-bone which is painful you will hear snaps or crunches in your hip. Many tears are minor and through PT you can help allieviate them, other require surgery, labral tears are very common in skaters, golfer, hockey players and soccer players it is the cranking on the hip joint that causes the labral to tear or just extreme pressure and overuse. Mine is so bad because of genetics, one out of nine women have DDH, or hip dsyplasia(sp) it tends to affect first born girls most often. It is just shallow hip sockets and we are very limber early on and the price is paid by mid 30's or 40's with Osteo Arthritius.

And that was a short answer.8O 8O :lol: :lol:

dbny
09-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I also have torn labra in both hips. I haven't had surgery, since I would do almost anything to avoid it. I used to take up to 1800 mg ibuprofen daily for the pain, but I may now have an allergy and haven't been able to take any NSAID at all. I'm going to start taking glucosamine soon and hope that that helps.

Re hip dysplasia - it's now thought to be caused by breach position in utero (statistics bear this out). My older daughter was a footling breach and had to wear a splint for several months to deepen her hip sockets. BTW, babies are routinely checked for hip dysplasia at birth. If it isn't done in the first few days, though, ligaments tighten up and manual manipulation can't diagnose the condition after that. Xrays aren't useful until much later, and by that time the best opportunity to fix the problem is past.

manleywoman
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
I was diagnosed with a torn labrum in May. After xrays and MRI though, it's been ruled out since there's nothing wrong with my bones, joints or cartilage. Now we hink it's periformis syndrome or bursitis. Still trying to narrow it down.

dbny
09-11-2007, 01:49 PM
I was diagnosed with a torn labrum in May. After xrays and MRI though, it's been ruled out since there's nothing wrong with my bones, joints or cartilage. Now we hink it's periformis syndrome or bursitis. Still trying to narrow it down.

Was the MRI done with a contrast medium? I read that without it, the MRI may not show existing damage. The orthopod I saw wanted MRI's without contrast, but I never did it. I didn't trust him. If my pain gets worse, I'll go see someone else.

cecealias
09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
breakhearts - sorry to hear about the injury. Hope for a strong recovery and a good doctor!

Can anyone inform me on how this injury develops? is it just from repeatedly falling on the hip or is it from jumping or does it just come from a certain type of move?

dbny
09-11-2007, 01:54 PM
breakhearts - sorry to hear about the injury. Hope for a strong recovery and a good doctor!

Can anyone inform me on how this injury develops? is it just from repeatedly falling on the hip or is it from jumping or does it just come from a certain type of move?

It's not from falling. It's from repeated sideways stress on the joint, as in a T stop. At least that's what I've read.

wasabi
09-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Was the MRI done with a contrast medium? I read that without it, the MRI may not show existing damage. The orthopod I saw wanted MRI's without contrast, but I never did it. I didn't trust him. If my pain gets worse, I'll go see someone else.

I second this. Mine was only diagnosed with the constrast MRI; they diagnosed several problems (including bursistis) first, but the main cause of the pain was always the tears.

And cecealias, the main problem comes from things causing torque -- loops and sals especially. Overtraining from a young age, too, causes irregularities in the hip that make it more susceptible to tears.

manleywoman
09-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Was the MRI done with a contrast medium? I read that without it, the MRI may not show existing damage.

Mine was done both with and without a dye injection, so yes.

And I was told my injury could be from repeated falling in addition to rotation torque.

coskater64
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
I also had the dye injected MRI which is the main form of diagnosis for this.

My tears came from torque also esp the salchow and probably from everything, if you look at who gets tears, soccer players, golfers, hockey player, dancers and skaters it is that torque on the hip and the kicking of the leg or swing of the body that seems the cause. I don't think the falling helps to much either but it seems to be different for each of us...8O 8O

RNsk8r
09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Another victim of a labral tear here. I had arthroscopic surgery in 8/05 to debride the torn area and had good improvement for about 11 months. Now it is off and on, further MRI's have shown a potential re-tear but at this point it isn't bothering me consistently enough, I can't take the time off work and I have other medical issues to deal with so surgery isn't an option at the moment, although the surgeon who did the first one was going to re operate. The surgery itself wasn't bad at all, but the recovery was a little slow. I was kept partial weight bearing on crutches for 6 or 7 weeks.

Just a side note, current research does not show the propensity for developing arthritis down the road with an unrepaired labral tear. If the pain can be managed conservatively you are probably better off-or at least not at any greater risk of problems down the road.

And I will get on my soapbox about cortisone injections. Cortisone injections into a joint will increase the breakdown of the articular cartilage, which is why most physicians will limit a person to 3 injections per year-something to keep in mind particlarly if you are young and don't have a great deal of arthritis.

MRI's with intra-articular contrast are the gold-standard diagnostic tool for labral tears, but can still be difficult to read; they need to be read by an experience orthopedic radiologist and/or orthopedic surgeon. If you have already had surgery in the area they become almost impossible to read conclusively. Feel free to PM me, along with my personal experience, I am a nurse practitioner currently in orthopedics specializing in knees and hips.

dbny
09-11-2007, 09:04 PM
If the pain can be managed conservatively you are probably better off-or at least not at any greater risk of problems down the road.

And I will get on my soapbox about cortisone injections. Cortisone injections into a joint will increase the breakdown of the articular cartilage, which is why most physicians will limit a person to 3 injections per year-something to keep in mind particlarly if you are young and don't have a great deal of arthritis.

Thank you, for the entire post! I have always been conservative when it comes to medical treatments, but having to take so much ibuprofen was worrying me. Now that I can't take it anymore, I'm finding that, in general, I'm doing OK, although there are days (and nights) when the pain is a real nuisance. I guess I could consider a cortisone injection if it gets to be severe. I'm not young, but hope to stay fit as long as possible, and who needs more breakdown of anything?

ibreakhearts66
09-11-2007, 09:05 PM
well, just got back from the docs, and its a mess. the tear is actually in the back of the hip, which is not wear the tears normally are. turns out my hips aren't formed properly. i'm not sure whether or not this is hip dysplasia...he said that my hip sits too far forward in the joint, so when i bend my hip, the front of the ball shoves up against the socket, and everything gets shoved together in the back, leaving me very susceptible to labral tears. i'm gonna have the same MRI done in my left hip, since more likely than not i have the tear there too.

so, surgery isn't gonna be a simple trimming. first of all, he's gonna repair the labrum and re-attach it to the bone instead of just snipping off the torn part. but, he also needs to shave down the bones of my hip. it's a month on crutches, and 3 months out of soccer and skating. but, since i need both hips, that makes it 6 months!!!! ahhhhhhh some of you here may know, but i have had the worst luck with injuries. keep in mind that i am only 17, i have osteoarthritis in both knees, major plica problems in my left knee (i've had a cortisone shot, and will eventually have it scoped), torn meniscus in my right knee (surgery done), tore all of the ligaments in my right ankle (surgery done), have had countless stress fractures, and right now have major edema inside the bones of my spine. i had been off of the ice for 2 years, and finally got back this summer and made huge progress--started working on double axels--now this! i may end up having both knees done at once. it will make me a very miserable person for a few months, and i'll be in a wheelchair for one month, but i can't take 6 more months.

dbny
09-11-2007, 11:21 PM
some of you here may know, but i have had the worst luck with injuries. keep in mind that i am only 17, i have osteoarthritis in both knees, major plica problems in my left knee (i've had a cortisone shot, and will eventually have it scoped), torn meniscus in my right knee (surgery done), tore all of the ligaments in my right ankle (surgery done), have had countless stress fractures, and right now have major edema inside the bones of my spine. <snip> i may end up having both knees done at once. it will make me a very miserable person for a few months, and i'll be in a wheelchair for one month, but i can't take 6 more months.

I'm so sorry you have had so many problems and are now faced with even more. I hate to say this, but you, as you said, are only 17. This means that you have the vast majority of your life ahead of you. It seems to me that your body is just not made for the kind of stresses high level figure skating delivers, and cannot withstand the pounding you have been giving it. You do not want to "end up" (is it "ending up" if it happens at 30 or 40, with another 50 years to go?) in constant pain in a wheelchair! Maybe it is time to take it down a notch and think of coaching instead of achieving more and more in your own skating. What do your parents and coaches have to say about all the injuries?

ibreakhearts66
09-12-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm so sorry you have had so many problems and are now faced with even more. I hate to say this, but you, as you said, are only 17. This means that you have the vast majority of your life ahead of you. It seems to me that your body is just not made for the kind of stresses high level figure skating delivers, and cannot withstand the pounding you have been giving it. You do not want to "end up" (is it "ending up" if it happens at 30 or 40, with another 50 years to go?) in constant pain in a wheelchair! Maybe it is time to take it down a notch and think of coaching instead of achieving more and more in your own skating. What do your parents and coaches have to say about all the injuries?

most of the injuries have actually happened because of soccer. the torn meniscus, torn ankle ligs and stress fractures happened from playing soccer or conditioning for soccer. skating actually hasn't given my body "too" hard a time (knock on wood). the spinal issues are a result of skating, but thats really been it. i do udnerstand what you're saying about my body not being able to handle things though. i recently quit soccer (or quit full-time, competitive soccer) because of all the injuries. i'm hoping that after i get my hips fixed, i can stay healthy, because having to give up skating will just break my heart. i don't know that i could do it.

ibreakhearts66
09-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Thank you, for the entire post! I have always been conservative when it comes to medical treatments, but having to take so much ibuprofen was worrying me. Now that I can't take it anymore, I'm finding that, in general, I'm doing OK, although there are days (and nights) when the pain is a real nuisance. I guess I could consider a cortisone injection if it gets to be severe. I'm not young, but hope to stay fit as long as possible, and who needs more breakdown of anything?

to second what RNsk8r said--cortisone shots can be risky. they do calm things down for a while, but, like RNsk8r said, they also lead to breakdown of the articular cartilage. i'm sure different doctors give different number, but my drs have said to limit cortisone injections to 3 per joint. i know you said you will do just about anything to not go under the knife, but you really might look into it. if they just trim the tear, you pretty much hop off the OR table and only use crutches for a day or two. if they repair the tear, you're on crutches for about a month, but after that, recovery is supposed to be pretty easy. i've had a knee and ankle surgery, and it was so worth it to have the surgeries. of course i'm not telling you to just hop in and have surgery, but don't totally eliminate the possibility

dbny
09-12-2007, 10:53 AM
if they just trim the tear, you pretty much hop off the OR table and only use crutches for a day or two. if they repair the tear, you're on crutches for about a month, but after that, recovery is supposed to be pretty easy.

I've had a few (very necessary) surgeries, and anytime anesthetic is used, you also have to recover from that. I had an epidural and had to build up my lung capacity afterwards! I've never had a cortisone injection, and that would be a last resort before surgery. I'm really hoping to just continue as is. Since I stopped the NSAID's I haven't had miserable pain for more than about a week at a time.

wasabi
09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
ahhhhhhh some of you here may know, but i have had the worst luck with injuries. keep in mind that i am only 17, i have osteoarthritis in both knees, major plica problems in my left knee (i've had a cortisone shot, and will eventually have it scoped), torn meniscus in my right knee (surgery done), tore all of the ligaments in my right ankle (surgery done), have had countless stress fractures, and right now have major edema inside the bones of my spine. i had been off of the ice for 2 years, and finally got back this summer and made huge progress--started working on double axels--now this! i may end up having both knees done at once. it will make me a very miserable person for a few months, and i'll be in a wheelchair for one month, but i can't take 6 more months.

If it makes you feel better, I've had two major joint surgeries (hip and knee), have major patella-femoral pain syndrome in both knees, and have ongoing back (muscular) problems. My growth plates in my hip never formed properly because of skating, something that will always give me trouble and cannot be corrected by medication or surgery. I've had tendonitis in both knees, both hips, and both ankles, bursitis and appofecitis in both hips, at least three (diagnosed) concussions, and three major stress fractures. A three month rehab is really not a very long time -- my hip rehab was more like two years, and even then, I am not, and will never be, pain free. In addition to all of this, I have fairly major (non-skating related) health problems that have also kept me off the ice. Oh, and I had my first knee injury at 9, my back injury at 11, and had my hip done ay 14, with the fractures and tendonitis distributed in between. Injuries do not discriminate based on age.

In my experience, it's best just to deal with the hand you're given. Yes, it does suck, but there are always other people who have it worse -- I have a friend who was nearly permanently paralyzed by the simply cut on her finger that turned into a massive infection, and you can't turn on the TV without hearing of someone with killed or with a catastrophic injury. Also, for me, it has always helped to take responsiblity for my injuries -- yes, in a way, they couldn't be helped, but mostly, they were my fault. I picked up that pair of skates in the first place, I chose to train they way I did and for as much as I did. Maybe I didn't know the risks exactly, but you can't be a skater (or a soccer player, or anything) and assume the sport is risk free, and by continuing to skate, I accepted that risk. It's much harder to deal with an injury or illness that you can't trace back to your own actions.

On a more positive note, I'd recommend a good personal trainer when you're done with the surgery and PT. Mine has helped me get rid of a lot of the lingering muscle pain that I thought I could never be done with.

ibreakhearts66
09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
oh believe me, i know just as well as anyone else how much worse off i could be. my best fried broke three vertebrae in her neck, i have a friend at school who lost his leg to cancer, etc etc. however, every now and then, i do find it necessary to have at least a little self-pity. and, like you said, it does help to take responsibility for the injuries. i have people at the rink who shake their head sadly, but i just tell them, hey, if i really cared that much, i'd stop skating and playing soccer. the frustrating bit is that the most recent injuries have just kinda happened. i tore my meniscus walking--someone called my name, i turned, and POP. the ankle was a week after i was cleared to play soccer after the knee surgery--came to practice early just to get a few extra shots on goal, rolled my ankle, and it all fell apart. and then the hips really aren't my fault. i was born with the jacked up hips (and didn't know it), and because of the shape of my hips, i could have torn my labrum doing just about anything.

icesk8rblondie
10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey everyone! I am an ice skater and just found out i need to have surgery on my torn labrum too. It sucks!!! The doctors say that i have torn cartlidge(spl??) as well as the ring. My parents are looking into the doctor in New York that does the surgery, but we don't think he excepts our insurance so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx! :)

doubletoe
10-22-2007, 10:08 PM
It's not from falling. It's from repeated sideways stress on the joint, as in a T stop. At least that's what I've read.
Yikes! So I guess Ina Bauers aren't very good either. . .

Isk8NYC
10-22-2007, 10:49 PM
to second what RNsk8r said--cortisone shots can be risky. they do calm things down for a while, but, like RNsk8r said, they also lead to breakdown of the articular cartilage. i'm sure different doctors give different number, but my drs have said to limit cortisone injections to 3 per joint. I had cortisone shots in both feet to try and calm down my heel spur syndrome. I was famished all the time - someone on this Board told me it's a known side effect of the shots.

I'm so sorry for all of you who are having joint problems. It's unfortunate at any age to be facing surgery and rehab.

ibreakhearts66
10-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Yikes! So I guess Ina Bauers aren't very good either. . .

ohh bauers KILL me. the movements that cause me the most pain are ones where my leg is turned out an facing resistance, like a lunge. bah and now my left hip has taken to subluxating (partially dislocating) as i check out of jumps sometimes

just to update, we decided to just do my right hip for now. the cartilage tear in my left wasn't too bad, so the doc is hoping PT can clear that up. i'm *planning* on having the surgery in december sometime. i can't say i'm looking forward to it, but the pain has gotten pretty bad. its messing with my already messed up sleep :roll: on that note, i am going to try to GO to sleep

coskater64
10-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Labral tears do tend to come from torque and sideways twisting, the common sports are golf, soccer and of course skating. Falling has very little to do with it, I tore the stabilizing ligament through a series of hard falls and because my hip would pop in and out of socket, that tear allowed my femoral head to become more unstable in the socket and rip the cartlidge throughout my socket. The surgery for the labral tear was successful but the reattachement of the stabilizing ligament wasn't. I currently have a newly resurfaced hip (r) so both the acetablum and the femoral head are covered in chromium cobalt. I have virtually no pain for the first time in several years, I sleep through the night and I am taking no medicine except vitamins and glucosamine. This is nice compared to taking heavy anti-inflammatories for almost 2 years and a sleep aid for over a year. Will I be able to get everything back? That is an unknown at this time. I am only 3 weeks out of my hip resurfacing so we will see.

Good luck with your surgery you are young and should heal quicker than us sweet little old ladies:P