View Full Version : Do you skate at more than one rink?

littlekateskate
09-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I was curious how many skaters skate at more than one rink. Is anyone a member of one club/rink but doesnt skate there at all? Is your coach from a different home club then you?

miraclegro
09-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I am a member of another club (rink) about 1 hour away, because our rink is not USFS. Sometimes the coach travels to my local rink, and sometimes i travel up there. Right now so much practic ice has been taken away for hockey, i will be travelling more.

Also, our rink here locally is so dysfunctional, it is a PLEASURE to drive an our to have a REAL freestyle and not a free-for-all. The rink that is one hour away is slightly smaller than our NHL sized one.

airyfairy76
09-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm not currently a member of a club, but I skate at two rinks in London.

The large rink I skate at is where I do patch, lessons and quiet daytime public sessions if I have time off work.

The smaller rink I skate public sessions only - certain evening ones during the week tend to be quiet and it is nearly half the price of the larger one for public sessions!

jcookie1982
09-09-2007, 12:32 PM
I do public sessions at one rink, and take lessons at another. I am a member of the skating club at one of the rinks, but never go to the club sessions.

Skittl1321
09-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I am a member of a club that skates at a rink I never skate at. My coach requires membership, so I pay dues. The only time I have skated on "club ice" was for a show. I did also skate at their rink for a test session, but it was hosted by a different club.

Sessy
09-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Well due to the short seasons in the Netherlands and differences between when seasons start and end here (between rinks) I've skated at 6 different rinks all through the country.
But regularly it was 1 rink last year, might be 3 rinks this year (lessons)

Muskoka Skater
09-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I skate at 3 different clubs. I mostly skate at my home club. My freeskate coach, skills coach and my artistic coach aren't from my home club. My other freeskate/skills coach, and dance coach are at my home club.

Morgail
09-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I skate at 2 rinks. One is closer to my house, but the other is where I have my lessons (from fall through spring) and is the rink I grew up skating at. So I go to both rinks! I have a full membership in the club at my home rink and an associate membership in the club at the other rink (mainly so I can contract for ice time). My coach is with the club where I have the full membership.

liz_on_ice
09-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I take lessons in two different rinks summer/winter and practice in a third. I joined the club at one of the lesson rinks. For reasons which escape me, the third rink is under the aegis of a club in the next state (only a few miles away).

Scarlett
09-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I rink hop. I routinely skate at about 5 different rinks for various reasons. I am a member of a club for testing purposes only. I don't use club ice at all because with all the available ice time in the area I just don't need it.

phoenix
09-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Oy, yes. Due to teaching commitments & the fact that my coach is in a different city, I currently skate at 4 different rinks during the week. Last year it was 5!

dbny
09-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I skate at three different rinks. I teach in one and skate free there. I have my lessons in another and pay a reduced rate on public sessions by buying a book of tickets. The third is seasonal, and I worked there for four years, but am not going back except maybe as a sub if I'm needed and have the time. I'm still planning to skate there a few mornings this year because I love skating outdoors.

For reasons which escape me, the third rink is under the aegis of a club in the next state (only a few miles away).

The reason is that there is a host of rules and a lengthy process governing the formation of a new club. Joining a nearby club is the fastest and simplest way to enable that rink's skaters to fully participate in USFS events, and for the rink to host test sessions, which it has already done. My guess is that the nearest club, in the same city, is a little too large, expensive, and inflexible to have been a good match.

techskater
09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Our club is very spread out over a variety of rinks and most rinks here are independent (as opposed to club/rink conjoined like the clubs in another state). I only skate at the home club rink for club test sessions. The rink I skate at is not affiliated with any club and has hosted test sessions for two different clubs.

LilJen
09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
You guys are SO lucky!! I have one choice only, if I want to drive less than an hour and a half. Rumor has it, though, that another in the area is in the process of being planned and may be built in a year.

Rob Dean
09-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Is your coach from a different home club then you?

My home club is associated with two rinks. I skate often at one and very seldom at the other. I'm an associate member of a second club, like Morgail, at least partly to be able to contract for the ice time, since that club owns the rink--so *all* their freestyle sessions are club sessions. I skate at a fourth rink very rarely. *My* coaches both work both of the rinks I skate regularly, so I've had lessons at each rink with each coach, though I tend to have them at the associate club if I can due to advantageous pricing and schedule issues. One is a home club member; I'm not sure where the other's home club is.

TimDavidSkate
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
New Rochelle - New Roc Ice & Nyack - Pallisades Mall

Skate@Delaware
09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
I skate at one rink from September to mid-April. in the off-season I have to drive to a different rink-a drive that lasts anywhere from one to 3 hours depending on traffic snarls. (pitfalls of living on a beach route).

My coach belongs to another rink, and is only has coaching membership at my rink's club. That is required to teach on club ice.

Morgail
09-09-2007, 08:50 PM
You guys are SO lucky!! I have one choice only, if I want to drive less than an hour and a half. Rumor has it, though, that another in the area is in the process of being planned and may be built in a year.

I've been there and I hope you get your new rink! We used to have just the one seasonal rink. So summer skating was non-existent, unless you wanted to drive about two hours to get there.

I think it would be heaven to live in a place with lots of nearby rinks to choose from, but I am more than content with my two rinks now:)

chowskates
09-09-2007, 09:23 PM

I agree, many of you are so lucky to even have a choice!

If I want to skate at another rink, I have to grab my passport and go to the next country... I think the nearest would be a 45min flight, or 4.5 hours drive.

That is, until the second rink opens - originally intended to be this month, but the latest I heard, it won't be at least 'til end of the year!

Sessy
09-10-2007, 04:39 AM
I've been there and I hope you get your new rink! We used to have just the one seasonal rink. So summer skating was non-existent, unless you wanted to drive about two hours to get there.

We have many but they're still open like 6 months a year.
Seriously, what's the point of artificial ice if it's only there in winter anyway? The whole idea of artificial ice was that you could have ice anywhere, anytime.

Mrs Redboots
09-10-2007, 12:35 PM
The large rink I skate at is where I do patch, lessons and quiet daytime public sessions if I have time off work.

Conversely, Amanda's primary rink is my secondary rink (and to me, it feels small, as it's much smaller than ours!). At one stage we skated at a third rink, a little further out of town, very regularly, but not just now.

airyfairy76
09-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Conversely, Amanda's primary rink is my secondary rink (and to me, it feels small, as it's much smaller than ours!). At one stage we skated at a third rink, a little further out of town, very regularly, but not just now.

:lol: :lol: I think I should take a trip to your primary rink sometime then, to see what a really big rink feels like!!

jazzpants
09-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Oh, geez! There was a time where I was skating at 3 different rinks. Due to the fact that my weekend rink is now defunct :cry: ... I now skate mostly at my home rink but my home club ice NOW has two different rinks, so during the summer I was still skating at two different rinks b/c of the summer schedule/crowds/etc. and b/c my primary coach is giving lessons at the second rink.

Now that we're back to the school year, who knows. It's likely to be at one rink though I've been hearing that primary coach says he might keep the second rink on Sundays option open. And given that there is a demand for primary coach to do lessons at the second rink. (i.e. a particular "angel" wants it at the second rink so she doesn't have to commute 40 minutes to the home rink... :P :halo: ) I might end up doing lessons at the second rink again.

sue123
09-10-2007, 03:36 PM
When I was in college, I used to skate at about 3 or 4 different rinks. I made htis whole big excel spreadsheet thing where I had my class and work schedule, plus the schedules of the rinks around me. And if I for some reason had that class free and wanted to skate, I could take a glance at it and see where to go. I'm trying to do that now, but it's harder because pretty much every week we have a different schedule, some days we don't start until 1, but it's not the same day every week, other days can start at 8, 8:45, 10, or 10:30 depending on what is scheduled, and as yet, I havent actually found time to skate because I use those late starts to catch up on sleep or work. But I'm hoping!

TreSk8sAZ
09-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I generally skate only at one rink. There is no club that skates out of that rink. We're half and half of the two major local clubs. My club's home rink is about 20 minutes away, and the only time I've skated there is at competition or when my home rink closed. I also hop down to another rink every once in a great while, again about 20 minutes away. All of my coaches are from one of the clubs, I (and many of their other students) are from another. It doesn't make much difference in our rink what club you're from, which isn't necessarily true in some of the other rinks in town.

GordonSk8erBoi
09-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I spend most of my time skating at Shiny Rink, where my coach is. It's newer and nice and there are a lot of competitive skaters there, and I know people there. It's 12 miles from my house. I occasionally (1-2 times a month) skate at a closer rink (only 4 miles from my house); it's not as shiny but sometimes it's a better match time-wise, plus I will be testing there in December.

Club-wise, though, I'm still a member of my old club back home, for a number of reasons -- 1) it's where my heart is, 2) they need the support, 3) I can skate on club ice when I'm home visiting.