View Full Version : Skating pattern help

Skittl1321
09-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm really wanting to attempt to make my own skating dresses- as the ones I want are prohibitevly expensive!

I'm debating between the kwik-sew 3051 (I think that's the number) pattern or ordering from https://www.specialtysportswear.com

However, I don't really understand how ordering from specialty sportswear works. The entire system thing is confusing me.

For example: I like this basic dress- how do I know what "series" to select in the pull down menu? Do the patterns come for all parts of the dresses? Or just the skirts? Or just the leotards? What do I need to order to make the dress?
https://www.specialtysportswear.com/cart/proddtl.php?catalog_id=100000053&

Also- how easy are these patterns to follow? I've never sewn with stress fabric, or clothing for humans (just for dolls! They don't complain when things don't fit!)

SynchroSk8r114
09-09-2007, 08:19 AM
My mom has made some dresses from Kwik-Sew. Definitely give them a try. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced sewer, they're very simple and run pretty much true to sizes, which is something that concerned us as the past dress patterns (not from Kwik-Sew) that we tried always ran too small.

We've never made the 3051 pattern; we purchased pattern #3445 (http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=12679) as well as pattern #3331 (http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=8886), but have only been working on the #3331 pattern because we haven't had too much time yet to explore both.

The #3331 pattern makes nice long dance-like dresses, and you can get even fancier than the patterns allow by incorportating different layering of fabric into the skirt. The possibilities are endless, and of course you can always jazz 'em up with rhinestones and all.

If you want to order right from Kwik-Sew's website like we did, visit http://sewing.patternreview.com/

jenlyon60
09-09-2007, 08:22 AM
As I recall with the Specialty Sportswear patterns, the difference between the series is the basic cut of the skirt (mostly where the seam would lie on your body and how full the skirt is).

The big difference in the Specialty Sportswear patterns is that they are designed to have the greatest stretch of the fabric going lengthwise, whereas most skatewear/dancewear patterns are designed to have the greatest stretch going widthwise.

The Kwik-Sew patterns used to be very easy to follow. I used them years ago with a very old sewing machine that didn't have a built-in stretch stitch, so I had to stretch the seams as I went, to ensure that there was sufficient give. I think also that I ended up adjusting where the skirt seam was, to be more flattering on my body, plus I ended up shortening the body of the leotard so that it would fit smoothly.

I'm really wanting to attempt to make my own skating dresses- as the ones I want are prohibitevly expensive!

I'm debating between the kwik-sew 3051 (I think that's the number) pattern or ordering from https://www.specialtysportswear.com

However, I don't really understand how ordering from specialty sportswear works. The entire system thing is confusing me.

For example: I like this basic dress- how do I know what "series" to select in the pull down menu? Do the patterns come for all parts of the dresses? Or just the skirts? Or just the leotards? What do I need to order to make the dress?
https://www.specialtysportswear.com/cart/proddtl.php?catalog_id=100000053&

Also- how easy are these patterns to follow? I've never sewn with stress fabric, or clothing for humans (just for dolls! They don't complain when things don't fit!)

CaraSkates
09-09-2007, 08:22 AM
For your first dress I would start with Kwik Sew. They have very clear instructions while Specialty Sportswear assumes you've been sewing a while. Even if you buy their manual along with the pattern it is still pretty confusing.

A really good base pattern is Kwik Sew 3502, I love the skirts on 3445 and 3272 but they are slightly harder. Honestly, the best way is to make a couple practice dresses out of KS3502 till you get used to the construction of the dresses and working with the stretch fabric. Then expand to other more complicated patterns. KS3051 is great for practice skirts, I don't like the skirt inset line, it's not flattering to most people because it is straight and doesn't dip down in front.

Kwik Sew fits me much better than Specialty Sportswear. SS runs much too wide and short for me. I've compared the pattern pieces to KS and it's a huge difference in the same size. Measure yourself and compare those measurements to the ones on the pattern envelope. With KS I often use a size longer in the length then around.

You'll want to trace (not cut!) the size you want onto tracing paper or tissue paper or something else. This way you can go back and retrace it or trace a different size later. Check out this website www.patternreview.com for more general sewing help and info and search for the yahoogroup SewnWithLove for a group of people sewing for skaters.

For fabric, stretch velvet is much easier to start with then spandex or milliskin or anything else! www.spandexhouse.com www.spandexworld.com
Make sure it is 4way stretch (some places call it 2way and 1way instead of 2way & 4way but you want the stretchiest.)

I hope that helped some! I started sewing by sewing skating dresses, I had sewn doll clothes, a halloween costume and a dress for myself that I had a LOT of help with. It can be done. 4 years later I'm obsessed with sewing, especially skating dresses and sew every day almost.

CaraSkates
09-09-2007, 08:26 AM
My mom has made some dresses from Kwik-Sew. Definitely give them a try. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced sewer, they're very simple and run pretty much true to sizes, which is something that concerned us as the past dress patterns (not from Kwik-Sew) that we tried always ran too small.

Actually the big4 pattern companies (McCalls, Butterick, Vogue, Simplicity) have the real sizing. Ready to Wear today has vanity sizing. Pattern sizing has stayed the same forever now, going back to the vintage patterns while RTW has changed many times and continues to keep changing in order to make people think they are wearing a smaller size. I am a 6-8 in RTW, in patterns I'm a 12. (KS Small/Medium) Once you get past the bigger size, think about the no tags part - no one knows what size it is but you!

Joan
09-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I I've never sewn with stress fabric, or clothing for humans (just for dolls! They don't complain when things don't fit!)

The best machine for sewing skating dresses or other stretch garments is a Serger. Since you appear to be new to sewing, you probably don't have access to a serger. The next best stitch for stretch fabrics is zig-zag.

Definitely buy some cheap fabric for your first attempt at making a dress out of the pattern - get all your mistakes out of the way with this one.

Skittl1321
09-09-2007, 09:24 AM
The best machine for sewing skating dresses or other stretch garments is a Serger. Since you appear to be new to sewing, you probably don't have access to a serger. The next best stitch for stretch fabrics is zig-zag.

Definitely buy some cheap fabric for your first attempt at making a dress out of the pattern - get all your mistakes out of the way with this one.

No, I don't have a serger- but I have access to one from friends. Maybe I could ask to borrow it- except I'm not sure I'd know how to best utlize it. I've only use one once, to overstitch (not sure what that's called exactly) a seam, where it cut the fabric at the same time.

I'm not new to sewing- just garment sewing. I've done machine quilting for years, and lots of home decor/purses sewing, as well as tons of doll clothes- some rather ornate. My issue is I've never made "things that need to fit", at least not with a pattern (I made an 8-gored cotehardie, but we used linen draping to fit the pattern to me)

Thank you all for the suggestions- I'll go with a kwik sew pattern, probably 3502 for now. I just wish I could get these locally (to use a coupon!), but none of the stores I called carry quick sew :(

slusher
09-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I would recommend kwik sew also. They give good instructions on how to finish seams with a zig zag machine and it works. I would also buy some good heavyweight lycra (spandex) to make your first one, because you will then probably take it apart and adjust it to make the perfect pattern for the next one. When some of the very decorated stretch velvets are $45 and up a metre, you want to make sure your pattern is perfect before cutting into it.

Kwik sew patterns also come on heavyweight paper and although you can cut them are really designed to be traced. I use lightweight non-fusible interfacing (trace a pattern/pattern trace) and trace the KS pattern onto the interfacing which then becomes my master pattern. Although they're "expensive" as far as patterns go, you will use them forever. The interfacing will cost you 5 or 6 dollars.

PM me if you get stuck.

Skittl1321
09-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks so much! I'll definetly try on inexpensive fabric first. And slusher- I appreciate the offer to let me PM you. It might be awhile before I'm able to get started with this, but chances are you'll hear from me eventually, I cannot imagine this will be a problem free encounter. (It's not a sewing project if I don't sew SOMETHING on inside out.)

kayskate
09-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I also like Kwik Sew and have made several of there skating and exercise patterns. I order them from Sew Sassy. They have a web site and offer a discount on patterns (20%). http://www.sewsassy.com/index.shtml

Enjoy!
Kay

CaraSkates
09-09-2007, 01:14 PM
No, I don't have a serger- but I have access to one from friends. Maybe I could ask to borrow it- except I'm not sure I'd know how to best utlize it. I've only use one once, to overstitch (not sure what that's called exactly) a seam, where it cut the fabric at the same time.

I'm not new to sewing- just garment sewing. I've done machine quilting for years, and lots of home decor/purses sewing, as well as tons of doll clothes- some rather ornate. My issue is I've never made "things that need to fit", at least not with a pattern (I made an 8-gored cotehardie, but we used linen draping to fit the pattern to me)

Thank you all for the suggestions- I'll go with a kwik sew pattern, probably 3502 for now. I just wish I could get these locally (to use a coupon!), but none of the stores I called carry quick sew :(

Some machines also have a "stretch stitch". The symbol looks like three lines of straight stitching or sometimes a lightning bolt. It will make a straight stitch that stretches. I prefer to serge things (looks more finished) but if I am fitting a new pattern I'll zigzag or stretch stitch it together so I can pick out the stitches if need be.

Hancock stores usually carry Kwik Sew, my local independent store does but none of them accept coupons on them. www.sewingpatterns.com has then 20% off all the time. PM me if you have more questions, I love sewing skating dresses.

Skittl1321
09-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Some machines also have a "stretch stitch". The symbol looks like three lines of straight stitching or sometimes a lightning bolt. It will make a straight stitch that stretches. I prefer to serge things (looks more finished) but if I am fitting a new pattern I'll zigzag or stretch stitch it together so I can pick out the stitches if need be.

Hancock stores usually carry Kwik Sew, my local independent store does but none of them accept coupons on them. www.sewingpatterns.com has then 20% off all the time. PM me if you have more questions, I love sewing skating dresses.

Thanks for the advice- my machine does have a stretch stitch- I know which one you are talking about.

Unfortunately my hancock fabrics closed last year :( I've been looking at sewthankful.com for quik sew patterns (there are a few dresses I'm looking at too). I'll look at sewing patterns.com

However, until I can find a new machine, it may be a moot point- mine seems to have died this morning :( (It's a 17 year old Brother that probably only cost $100-$150 when we got it... so it was it's time. DH took it apart and got it working again, but then it died again later...)

NCSkater02
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Jalie also makes skating patterns. I have several, and have made one. It was a little harder than the Kwik-Sew, but easy enough--and no ripped out seams! (I also have to rip out at least one seam per project. If it goes together too easily, it won't fit right.)

Kwik-Sew has enough variety in skirt and top design that I am fairly comfortable with mixing the patterns to customize a dress. The flat skirt on the 3051 is my favorite, and I have combined it with almost all of the bodice designs. I just have to play with the fit at the waist seam.

I have a Specialty Sportswear pattern, but haven't actually made a dress from it yet. I went with the flat skirt, and the highest waist seam they had.

Skittl1321
09-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the Jalie recommendation- i've seen them, but wasn't sure if they were user friendly :)

I ordered the quik sew pattern, and am looking for a new machine now. I'm really excited to get started! The only downside to the quik sew is they all have sleeves- I like a good spaghetti strap every now and then.

NCSkater02
09-11-2007, 09:03 AM
The only downside to the quik sew is they all have sleeves- I like a good spaghetti strap every now and then.

Kwik-Sew 2796 has a camisole-style bodice. So does the 3331, but the skirt is waaaaay too long.

Skittl1321
09-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Kwik-Sew 2796 has a camisole-style bodice. So does the 3331, but the skirt is waaaaay too long.

Thanks. Once I get better at mixing and matching parts, I might try those. Neither of them come off as very "skater" to me- more dancey.

Skate@Delaware
09-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I use Kwik-Sew almost exclusively. I do have some Jalie. I like Kwik-Sew because they fit me most realistically and there is no more "booty tugging" needed!!!!

I am not a perfectionist-a stretch stitch is fine with them-no serger is required but it does help when applying the elastic. You might want to go to your library and see if they carry Threads magazine-they did an article on sewing swimsuits recently. Most of the techniques carry over into skating stuff.

When you get a little practice in, you can mess around with the skirt lengths-I interchange them between the patterns (don't like circle skirts, so I use flat in all of them). I bet you can figure out doing the camisole top as well. Kwik-Sew also has a sportswear book with master patterns-all sorts of work out apparel and I use that as well for leggings, leotards, dance dresses, etc.

saras
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
is that the sloper for ALL ready to wear (and patterns) is based on a B cup in the breast/torso area. If you're bigger or smaller than that, it may pay to alter the pattern. Good directions are in this book: Fit for Real People, by Patti Palmer and Marta Alto. For example, I wear a D cup - so if I pick a pattern that fits my chest circumference, the shoulders are too wide. If I pick it based on what it would be if I were a B cup (how to do this is in the book), and then make alterations (darts or dart-like ease) etc., then the fit is perfect.

Sara

Skittl1321
09-11-2007, 01:18 PM
is that the sloper for ALL ready to wear (and patterns) is based on a B cup in the breast/torso area. If you're bigger or smaller than that, it may pay to alter the pattern. Good directions are in this book: Fit for Real People, by Patti Palmer and Marta Alto. For example, I wear a D cup - so if I pick a pattern that fits my chest circumference, the shoulders are too wide. If I pick it based on what it would be if I were a B cup (how to do this is in the book), and then make alterations (darts or dart-like ease) etc., then the fit is perfect.

Sara

You've already totally lost me. This is why I only sew for dolls!