View Full Version : spin problem with edges

peanutskates
09-06-2007, 02:12 AM
I've identified the problem that I have with my forward spins, which is also the main reason I can't yet get my sitspin. When I'm meant to spin on an outside edge, in the middle of the spin, I somehow switch to an inside edge. Obviously this only worsens the spins. What methods can I use to stop me from going on to an inside?

kayskate
09-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Forward spins spin on a BI edge, unless you are doing a variation that is usually considered more advanced. An example is the FO edge camel shown in the Lussi vids. Your forward sit should be on a BI unless you are going for extra points in competition w/ an intentionally more challenging variation.

Kay

doubletoe
09-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Right, and even if you do the change of edge as an intentional variation, you need to also have at least 2 revolutions on the usual back inside edge.
For a standard forward spin, you go into the spin on a forward outside edge, and at the end of that edge you do a 3-turn to exit on the back inside edge. Then, instead of checking the 3-turn exit to straighten it out, you bring the free leg and arm around to the front to make the back inside edge so round and tight that you actually spin.

peanutskates
09-06-2007, 01:55 PM
oh ok, I just thought that you had to spin on an outside edge.
but my coach does say: you go on an inside edge, that's wrong, you should spin on a striaght edge (like not inside or outside?) mayeb I'm just too much on the inside, and it should be less noticeable?

fsk8r
09-06-2007, 02:44 PM
having more spin problems than most, I think I know what your problem might be. the others are right that you are on a BI, but you have to pull up tall to keep the edge really tight, otherwise your spins are the size of dinner plates. one coach told me that she tells the little kids to think that they're a tube of toothpaste and you're trying to squeeze it out your head. it actually helped this adult somewhat, I just wish I could find those core muscles to do the squeezing!

MQSeries
09-06-2007, 03:12 PM
For those that can do a good forward sitspin, where do you feel your weight is balanced once you get down into the spin? Is your weight evenly distributed over your spinning skate, or is more of the weight distributed toward inside the circle? I have no problem doing the back sit spin but can never find the right balance for the fwd sit.

doubletoe
09-06-2007, 04:14 PM
oh ok, I just thought that you had to spin on an outside edge.
but my coach does say: you go on an inside edge, that's wrong, you should spin on a striaght edge (like not inside or outside?) mayeb I'm just too much on the inside, and it should be less noticeable?

That sounds like it could be what your coach means. If your circles are too big, you need to make sure you stay over your left side more during the spin (assuming you spin on your left foot). Also make sure that your back is stiff and arched (not rounded) and your free leg is pressed against your skating leg so that there is no space between them.

For those that can do a good forward sitspin, where do you feel your weight is balanced once you get down into the spin? Is your weight evenly distributed over your spinning skate, or is more of the weight distributed toward inside the circle? I have no problem doing the back sit spin but can never find the right balance for the fwd sit.

Wow, are you sure it isn't a mounting problem or a boot problem? It's a little unusual to be able to do a back sit but not a forward sit so maybe the problem isn't you at all. To answer your question, on the forward sit, my weight is on the ball of the foot/blade, right behind the toepick, and I feel the inside ankle of the spinning foot dipping down toward the ice a little (to the inside of the circle).

techskater
09-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Just behind the toepick (on the sweet spot) and slightly inside

Morgail
09-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I tend have that problem on my camel. While you are supposed to spin on a BI edge (for forward spins), sometimes you can fall onto too much of an inside edge. That slows your spin down and makes big loops/circles instead of tighter ones. When I do that on a sit spin, it makes it hard to keep my right leg out and in front, and I usually end up having to put that leg down and come up on two feet.
Perhaps it might help to think about keeping your weight over your left side (if you spin CCW). If you're entering the spin correctly, you should easily be on a BI edge. But if you think about keeping your weight over your left side, that might help prevent you from falling onto too much of an inside edge. It helps to really snap that right leg around when you start the spin.
Good luck:)

gt20001
09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Wow, are you sure it isn't a mounting problem or a boot problem? It's a little unusual to be able to do a back sit but not a forward sit so maybe the problem isn't you at all. To answer your question, on the forward sit, my weight is on the ball of the foot/blade, right behind the toepick, and I feel the inside ankle of the spinning foot dipping down toward the ice a little (to the inside of the circle).

I was having the same problem when i first started working on sit spins i got my back sit well before the forward sit which still isnt there my coach is always picking on me becuase when i learned the back spin it was always centered and my forward spins would all travel so bad. but never really had that problem with the back spins, either the scratch or the sit.

doubletoe
09-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow, I wish the back sit was easier for me. Something about that RFI entrance edge really messes me up.

On the forward sit, have you tried it from a RFI 3-turn instead of RBI windup? I find that it makes it easier to get a deep, round edge and center the spin. Just do a nice deep edge on the RBO exit edge of your 3-turn, looking over your left shoulder for a count of 2 before stepping down onto a deep, very round LFO edge that sort of takes you back to where you came from. On the entrance edge, keep your back rigid and arched, and extend the free leg way behind you, almost crossing behind the skating leg. Make sure you hold the 3-turn entry edge for a count of 3, the 3-turn exit edge for a count of 3, and your LFO sitspin entry edge for the same count of 3. Also, go in as low on your knee as you can.

flippet
09-07-2007, 01:21 PM
peanut, you might also be 'slouching' into your skating hip. Like you do when you're standing casually with one foot in front of the other? If all your weight is on the back leg, you're probably sunk down into that hip.

Try it and see if you can feel what I mean. Stand like I described above, and see if you can 'lift' your hip so you're standing a little taller.

Now, try to remember what it feels like to lift that hip, and try to do it while you're spinning, too.