View Full Version : Short Program?

coolsk8ingirl
09-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I am an intermediate ladies skater...If I do a half flip double flip after a transition in my short program, will that count in as a combination?

jskater49
09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I am an intermediate ladies skater...If I do a half flip double flip after a transition in my short program, will that count in as a combination?

I'm pretty sure half jumps don't count.

j

doubletoe
09-05-2007, 05:05 PM
It will not count as a combination because a combination must consist of either two or three listed jumps done immediately after each other and you are only doing one listed jump. The "listed" jumps are: toeloop, salchow, loop, flip, lutz and axel (toe walley counts as a toeloop). They can each be done as a single, double, triple or quad but will not count as a jump if only done as a half jump. However, a half jump can serve as a difficult entry for any of the listed jumps, so the half flip might raise the GOE points of the double flip you do right after it.

vesperholly
09-05-2007, 07:36 PM
It would be a sequence. Combinations are listed jumps with no steps between the landing and takeoff edge, and sequences are any other jump combination that do not.

doubletoe
09-05-2007, 07:59 PM
It would be a sequence. Combinations are listed jumps with no steps between the landing and takeoff edge, and sequences are any other jump combination that do not.

Not really, because a sequence must begin and end with a listed jump, and this one consists of only one unlisted half jump and one listed jump.

techskater
09-06-2007, 04:01 PM
It's a "difficult" entry OR it's a preceeding step on the jump proceeded by steps in the SP

daisies
09-06-2007, 07:31 PM

As doubletoe stated, a sequence has to include at least two listed jumps. But new this year is the additional rule that you can't have turns or steps between jumps in a sequence, you can only do small hops, like half-loops or mazurkas. (But even with mazurkas, you'd half to follow it with an axel, because you can turn after it!)

chowskates
09-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Not really, because a sequence must begin and end with a listed jump, and this one consists of only one unlisted half jump and one listed jump.

What I heard from a judge last year was that,
one unlisted 1/2 jump + one listed jump is not a sequence.
BUT
one unlisted 1/2 jump + 2 listed jumps (in combination) will be counted as a sequence, not a combination

Not sure if this has been clarified in this years' rules... but if a sequence doesn't allow turns, then having a turn in between the 1/2 jump & the first listed jump would rule out a sequence.

Haha, I was going to ask if anyone knew for sure, but I suppose I just answered my own question... :mrgreen:

daisies
09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
What I heard from a judge last year was that,
one unlisted 1/2 jump + one listed jump is not a sequence.
BUT
one unlisted 1/2 jump + 2 listed jumps (in combination) will be counted as a sequence, not a combination

That is not correct.

If you do single axel-half loop-double salchow, that's a jump sequence -- it's a listed jump, followed by an unlisted jump, followed by a listed jump, and there are no turns or steps in between.

But, if you do a walley-double toe-double toe -- which is one unlisted jump + two listed jumps in combination -- that's still a combination. The unlisted jump isn't between the listed jumps, it simply serves as a transition into the listed jumps.

Now, if you do double toe-mazurka-double flip ... that's two separate jumps, because you will need to do a three-turn or other such turns/steps to get backward to take off for the flip.

Clear as mud!

wasabi
09-07-2007, 07:24 AM

That's correct in IJS. But for short program especially, some local competitions are still using 6.0 for levels like intermediate. You probably wouldn't get a deduction for it (since most judges pretty much go by IJS rules anyway), but technically, under 6.0, any half-jump + a full jump IS a sequence and thus illegal in short program.

Just pay attention to what judging system you're skating under and change the footwork accordingly, if you can.