View Full Version : PB Freeskate question

Skittl1321
09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
In the Skittles needs a rulebook category: How many crossovers are required for the freeskate test? The test form says one direction only- are they to be in any sort of pattern?

I need to remind my coach to bring his rulebook, as I haven't gotten mine yet, but was wondering if anyone can help me out.

techskater
09-04-2007, 04:52 PM
It's 1/2 the PB MIF pattern

jskater49
09-04-2007, 05:26 PM
It's 1/2 the PB MIF pattern

I took this test back in 2002 or 3 so it might have changed but I just went around the big circle in the middle.

j

jazzpants
09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Until you get your rulebook, try using this: http://www.usfsa.org/content/TJ_Adult%20Pre%20Bronze%20Free.pdf

As for the questions about crossovers, I think techskater answered it. I just did maybe 1/3 or half of the rink... then again, it's been QUITE a while since I took the Pre-Bronze FS test... July 23rd 2000, according to Google... 8O 8O 8O ) I did remember doing both lunge and the spiral and my jumps were a waltz and a toeloop (b/c my sal at the time bailed on me right before the test session. :x )

double3s
09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
My coaches and I go round and round about PB FS - How many XOs? How long to hold the spiral? On a flat or an edge? Entry steps? Is a pivot entrance OK for the spins? Can I really do 2 half rev jumps (ie waltz and half flip) instead of at least 1 full rev jump? No one around here has done PB freeskate so there is no one to ask. I seem to have become the local default expert on PB MITF, having taken and passed them in April, which I find quite alarming!

jskater49
09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
My coaches and I go round and round about PB FS - How many XOs? How long to hold the spiral? On a flat or an edge? Entry steps?

Is a pivot entrance OK for the spins?

Yes. I passed this test years ago and am only now learning to enter a spin from crossovers.

Can I really do 2 half rev jumps (ie waltz and half flip) instead of at least 1 full rev jump?

Yes- I did a half flip and a waltz.

No one around here has done PB freeskate so there is no one to ask. I seem to have become the local default expert on PB MITF, having taken and passed them in April, which I find quite alarming!

Of course back when I took it the judges had never seen an adult freestyle before.

I've passed standard pre-pre moves, pre-bronze fs, prelim partner and solo dance and the fs test is by far the EASIEST test and this is from someone whose strength is definately not freestyle.

j

j

Skittl1321
09-04-2007, 08:21 PM
My coaches and I go round and round about PB FS - How many XOs? How long to hold the spiral? On a flat or an edge? Entry steps? Is a pivot entrance OK for the spins? Can I really do 2 half rev jumps (ie waltz and half flip) instead of at least 1 full rev jump? No one around here has done PB freeskate so there is no one to ask. I seem to have become the local default expert on PB MITF, having taken and passed them in April, which I find quite alarming!

Well, I can see why- I found a rulebook at the rink and it really didn't clarify anything at all.

It didn't say anything at all about how many crossovers are required. If it's half of the MITF pattern- is that 4 or 8 (since half of the pattern would have you on two feet- but you only do them on one side, so do you do the same side twice to make it "half"?)

I think big circle in the middle is probably an okay answer.

I'm planning on spiral on a flat for 3 seconds in position, but am counting 5 seconds just in case. My coach wants me to do BOTH spirals- like Silver moves- but that seems to be completely not what is being asked for, so I'm not sure about it. Maybe if I go to judge between elements I'll ask if they want both- and she can tell me no, so I have one fewer opportunity to fall on my face, but my coach won't get mad at me for not doing what he said.

I have one half jump (waltz) and one full jump (toe loop).

What's the opinion on the pivot entry? Because my two foot spin center stinks from a glide entry- but if I just "wind up" like you do in LTS then I can center it really well. For the one foot spin- I'm doing a proper scratch spin.

The test doesn't seem to have very exacting standards laid out- I wonder what the judges expect at all? For me not to kill myself while doing something that resembles the moves being asked for?

Debbie S
09-04-2007, 09:42 PM
When I tested Pre-Bronze FS, my jumps were waltz and toe loop. I did an RFI spiral and held for at least 4 secs, b/c that is the min requirement for both the Pre-Pre/Silver spirals as well as for spirals in comp to receive credit. I don't think there's a requirement for spirals to be on an edge, so it's fine to be on a flat, and only 1 foot is necessary. But make sure to hold it long enough.

As for the crossovers, I went around the circle in the middle - my coach had me go about 1 1/2 times around, although just 1 full time around will probably suffice. I started in the center, took a few steps to get out to the line, and started the crossovers (did a mohawk to get into the B ones).

For the 2-foot spin, I did it pretty much from a standstill and wind-up.

Good luck on your test!

Scarlett
09-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I took PB FS in April. For the crossovers, I just did one big figure 8 in the middle where I did both forward and backward crossovers. I did a spiral and have no idea how long I held it. My two jumps were a waltz jump and a 1/2 flip. I entered my 2 foot spin from a standstill and my one foot spin from back crossovers. I don't think the judges really care how you do things. The MITF test was much more nerve-wracking and challenging.

blackmanskating
09-05-2007, 06:14 PM
In the Skittles needs a rulebook category: How many crossovers are required for the freeskate test? The test form says one direction only- are they to be in any sort of pattern?

I need to remind my coach to bring his rulebook, as I haven't gotten mine yet, but was wondering if anyone can help me out.

I was a bit of an over acheiver :mrgreen: so I did forward and backwards crossovers in both directions and used that to set up my 2 jumps. I did it in a figure 8 pattern. But I'm pretty sure you would be fine if you did forward crossovers on one half of a circle did a mohawk or a 3 turn and completed that circle doing backwards crossovers. I just had to show the judges that I can do good crossovers if I am allowed to make bigger circles. My two jumps were loop and flip. I went into my 2 foot spin from forward crossovers to a pivot into the spin. My one foot spin I went into it from back crossovers. If in doubt, just ask the judges before you skate. That's what I did. I did a LFO Spiral from one corner of the rink to the other. I posted a blog recently about my testing experience. Here's a link to check it out. http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=24589 I hope this helps you.

BlackManSkating

Skittl1321
09-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I was a bit of an over acheiver :mrgreen: so I did forward and backwards crossovers in both directions and used that to set up my 2 jumps. I did it in a figure 8 pattern. But I'm pretty sure you would be fine if you did forward crossovers on one half of a circle did a mohawk or a 3 turn and completed that circle doing backwards crossovers. I just had to show the judges that I can do good crossovers if I am allowed to make bigger circles. My two jumps were loop and flip. I went into my 2 foot spin from forward crossovers to a pivot into the spin. My one foot spin I went into it from back crossovers. If in doubt, just ask the judges before you skate. That's what I did. I did a LFO Spiral from one corner of the rink to the other. I posted a blog recently about my testing experience. Here's a link to check it out. http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=24589 I hope this helps you.

BlackManSkating

Yeah- I saw your test post- but aren't you almost a gold level skater? Just need the tests? I don't know if we can use you as the standard :) :) :)

A loop and a flip for PB? I bet that don't see that too much!

blackmanskating
09-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah- I saw your test post- but aren't you almost a gold level skater? Just need the tests? I don't know if we can use you as the standard :) :) :)

A loop and a flip for PB? I bet that don't see that too much!

I wouldn't use me as a standard either. :mrgreen: I hardly do anything the "text book" way. LOL I try to push the envelope just a little bit. :twisted: I was so glad when the book said that we are allowed to do full revolution jumps in PB. To be honest, the only half jump I can do is a waltz jump and a half loop. I never bothered to learn the other half jumps and didn't like the idea of actually having to force myself not to rotate. But I believe that you will be just fine.

BlackManSkating

Skittl1321
09-06-2007, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't use me as a standard either. :mrgreen: I hardly do anything the "text book" way. LOL I try to push the envelope just a little bit. :twisted: I was so glad when the book said that we are allowed to do full revolution jumps in PB. To be honest, the only half jump I can do is a waltz jump and a half loop. I never bothered to learn the other half jumps and didn't like the idea of actually having to force myself not to rotate. But I believe that you will be just fine.

BlackManSkating

oooh! learn the half jumps! They are excellent for footwork- my coach is a master level skaters with triples, but he definetly does the half jumps. Except my half flip looks ridiculous and his is a huge half flip extending the foot to a stag or a split leap.

Actually you might do half jumps without realizing it, if you are doing split leaps anyhow!

blackmanskating
09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
oooh! learn the half jumps! They are excellent for footwork- my coach is a master level skaters with triples, but he definetly does the half jumps. Except my half flip looks ridiculous and his is a huge half flip extending the foot to a stag or a split leap.

Actually you might do half jumps without realizing it, if you are doing split leaps anyhow!

You know what?? You are right!!! My stag jump is done off of a half flip!!! I just never looked at it that way. LOL That's actually pretty funny.

BlackManSkating