View Full Version : etiquette

peanutskates
09-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm confused as to who is more 'in the wrong', so to speak, in this situation...

before the start of the summer holidays (end of June), I began preparing my program for a competition (in September). I was then away for 7 weeks (having informed my coach), and came back in the beginning of September. I had my lesson the next day, practiced my program.

Coach then asked, have I dealt with all the paperwork to enter the competition (entry form, skate passport photocopies etc). I said no. Lesson finishes.

Half an hour later, I decided to ask her where to find the form for the competition, and she said, "oh, I think the closing date has already passed. But you can find the form on this website, and try to call them to ask if there are any more spaces left."

The closing date was 22 August. There isn't a number to call (although I could find it somewhere, I suppose). I wasn't informed before I left, that I should go on the website and get the form and send it etc. I assumed that the coach would deal with, well, everything concerning the competition. Or at least tell me what exactly I had to do.

So I'd just like to know, should I have realised that I should have handled the forms etc. and the coach didn't have the responsibility to tell me what exactly I should do, or did she kind of mess up in this situation?

and also, is it worth calling to try and get a place in the competition? closing date was 22nd August - competition is 24th September.

Thanks.

doubletoe
09-04-2007, 02:15 PM
If this was your first competition, then it was probably just a lack of communication rather than anyone's fault. Maybe your coach assumed that you knew you had to fill in the paperwork, since most of her other students are already used to the whole process. Anyway, it sounds like a good time to talk to your coach about who will be responsible for what for your competitions from now on, just so that you'll both know. And meanwhile, if you want to do the competition, by all means call them, explain the situation and see if they will still accept your application! :)

Debbie S
09-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, if you wanted to enter a competition, it is your responsibilty to find out how to do that. Before you left, you should have asked your coach how to go about entering, etc (is this your first competition?). Your coach probably has many students and really can't be expected to handle the process for everyone. Sending in forms by comp deadlines is really the responsibility of the skater.

Now perhaps, assuming it was your first comp, your coach should have printed out the forms and instructions for you, or given you the name of the website, but not all coaches do this - some are more organized than others. Also, it depends on the location and 'importance' of a comp - for example, for comps that are sponsored by a skater's home club or another club close by, or a major event like Regionals (this is in the U.S.), coaches tend to promote the comp more and will sometimes even print out entry forms, fill in their signature and contact info (if the form asks for it) and discuss the deadline and events to enter (freestyle, compulsory moves, spins, etc) with the students' parents. But for most comps, the coaches will simply mention it to the skaters and their parents and tell them where to find the entry forms (often, there is a sample entry form up on the wall of the rink, sent by the host club for publicity purposes, that has that info) and let the skaters and parents decide and let the coach know.

It also depends on the age of the skater, too - for younger ones and for those brand-new to skating, the coach tends to walk them through the process more. Perhaps your coach figured you were old enough to take the lead in the logistics, or at least ask her if you had questions.

If you really want to enter the comp, I would call and see if you can submit a late entry. You may have to pay a higher fee (you could explain to them that you're new to this and didn't know the protocol, and were away, etc) but around here, comps usually accept late entries unless the comp is incredibly popular and they have strict time and space restrictions. If this comp doesn't work out, there will always be another one. :)

Mrs Redboots
09-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Yes, it's unfortunate that your coach didn't explain, but it is your job (or your parents' job, if you are under 18) to fill in the forms, sign them and send them off, with the correct entry fee, to arrive by the due date. Your coach may have to countersign the entry form, or you have to fill in their NISA membership number* - and your own. If it hasn't come yet, just put "membership applied for" in the box. Membership is compulsory if you're going to compete.

*It's different in the US and for adult internationals, but this is NISA's current rules.

littlekateskate
09-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I understand how you feel. My daughter missed a few competitions because of this. Being new to the sport i just assumed the coach would let me know and get the paperwork. I had no idea it was our resposibility to go and find the competitions and find out when they paper work was due. So we missed a few deadlines because of this :(

But as new students I still think its a coaches responsibilty to explain these things to us. How are we supposed to have any clue as to what to do :)

jskater49
09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm actually writing a manual for new skaters in my club about competing to cover this very thing. Yes, as everyone else said, it is your responsiblity HOWEVER it would be nice, as you are a beginniner, if your coach would give you a little coaching in that area.

This has some good info at this site....I think this is mostly about USA comps and I think I remember you are in England? But it's a start

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/comp_what_to_expect.htm

j

Clarice
09-04-2007, 06:12 PM
My coach lets us know which competitions she plans to attend for the year, but then it's up to us to get the forms, fill them out, and get her signature. Watch out for closing dates - they're typically around a month to 6 weeks ahead of the competition.

jskater49
09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Most competitions around here will let you in late, unless it's a qualifying one. I've registered late plenty of times and called and even got the late fee waived. Plead that you are a beginner.

j

Mel On Ice
09-04-2007, 06:41 PM
sorry to say it is your responsibility to do the leg work on your entries for events. Hope you have another competition coming up soon to make up for this one.

peanutskates
09-05-2007, 01:39 AM
ok thanks everyone for your replies. just to clarify for those that weren't sure, yes this was my first comp.

slusher
09-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Because coaches have to sign our entry forms, usually our coach will give us a form for a competition, signed. It's then up to us to fill it in, get a money order, get club signatures and mail it off. Except for my old club, then we had to ****make an appointment*** (yes seriously) for the club official to sign our form that we were in good standing. If you missed her on Mondays, tough luck, too late.

We did have a coach who would take the forms to the club and have them signed, but after she sent the forms in late, we went back to doing it ourselves.

It's polite for us to tell the coach that we've actually entered, because in our region, although parents do all the legwork of sending forms, the competitions send the confirmation back to the coaches :?? and if they're lax in letting us know the start times, parents go crazy.

So the coach might be the last to know that we're going to a comp, but the first to know exactly when we're skating.

chowskates
09-05-2007, 01:17 PM
ok thanks everyone for your replies. just to clarify for those that weren't sure, yes this was my first comp.

Aww... I hope you get to go!

max
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
If it is a UK Open Competition rather than a club competition, they are not likely to let you enter this late. The timetable will have been set and agreed with the referee.

jskater49
09-05-2007, 03:07 PM
If it is a UK Open Competition rather than a club competition, they are not likely to let you enter this late. The timetable will have been set and agreed with the referee.

Never hurts to ask.

j

Luckster013
09-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Even if it was your responsibility, she should have given you a heads up.