View Full Version : Crystals

miraclegro
09-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I know i posted a thread awhile back about crystals, but i have 2 more questions. I am having a beautiful deep red velvet dress made, and will add crystals, but since i've never done this before, do most people use the clear, the iridescent, or would i order the red ones to go with the red?

Also, i forgot which size you all had recommended. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

jskater49
09-04-2007, 01:33 PM
If you are going to stone a lot of dresses, it would be worth your while to buy a sample card....they come on a clear page and then you can put the color over the dress to see how it looks. And they have a sample of the sizes so you can see for yourself what size will work.

I got a $20 sample from here...I've been very happy with his stones....very prompt service.

http://www.rhinestoneguy.com/

j

Clarice
09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
It depends on what effect you're going for. Red on red isn't going to show up as a design on the ice, but works well if what you want is just random sparkles. If you want to outline or otherwise have the crystals work as a design element, you'd be better off with a contrast color. I've used both clear and AB (Aurora Borealis) crystals - it's just a matter of what you like. I usually use 20s or 30s.

BuggieMom
09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
On a color such as red, I wouldn't do Crystal AB...they throw too much pastel-ly color to look good on a jewel tone dress. Personally, I would go with plain crystal. But having said that, I am also a big fan of tone on tone designs (red on red, in your case) and see that as a very sutble, elegant look...but it is VERY subtle, and can be hard to read from across the ice. Red-tone AB (such as Siam AB) would look good. Deeper color AB's throw more rich colors than pastels, and look better on dark colors. Also, the same tone, just a shade different looks good.
For an adult, I wouldn't go smaller than 20ss, maybe 30ss, but they can start to look gaudy if you get too much bigger. I agree that if you plan on doing more stoning, get a color/size chart. I order from www.dreamtimecreations.com and their chart has samples of all the colors and all the sizes.
I guess it kinda depends on the design and the "feel" of the dress...

jenlyon60
09-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Rose AB might look nice.

Also Volcano can look really neat on rich colored backgrounds.