View Full Version : Which skates to buy?

dak_rbb
09-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum--hope I'm doing this right.

Anyway, I’m purchasing new skates for my daughter who is 6 years old. She’s been skating 1.5 years and is working on little single jumps, spirals, spins, etc. She takes a group lesson (just starting Freestyle 3) and a private and we skate 3-4 times/week. Our skate fitter recommended the Jackson Classique (size 12.5 C) which I ordered, but now I’m having second thoughts. Everyone else she skates with seems to have the Freestyle which is one step up. The blade would be the same and the fitter feels that she doesn’t need the better Freestyle boot at her size. Her coach wanted us to ask about the Freestyle, but seems willing to go with either.

So, anyone have any strong opinions about this? The difference in price isn’t a big deal at this point. Will she do better and progress faster with the better boot or does it really matter at her level? Thanks!

sk8tmum
09-02-2007, 11:38 AM
If she's only 6, then, she probably doesn't weigh much, and she probably would find the Freestyle too stiff, and that's a negative for a little one; won't be able to break it down, and that kills the edges. My son, who is 90 pounds, Pre-Juvie, and landing doubles and axels, is still in the Freestyle - ! We use Jacksons, and we have a bootfitter we trust (and a coach as well), and I know that we wouldn't have been put into the Freestyle yet at your daughter's age and skating level. I've seen a bunch of young girls at our rink who were put up into the Freestyle, Jacksons being very popular at our rink, and they are finding their skating suffering, because they can't flex it. Besides, at her age, you'll likely be replacing the boots soon, anyways, and you can move up to the Freestyle then.

The advantage with the Freestyle is the ability to change blades, because you can get a boot only, however, from the sounds of it, the stock blade on the Classique is probably okay. It's one up from the Mystique blade, and like you said, the same blade as on the blade/boot Freestyle combo, and there's a real toepick on the blade. My 2 kids went from the Freestyle mark IV blade to Coronation Comets, and the pick pattern transition was very easy.

twokidsskatemom
09-03-2007, 02:21 AM
I would first remember that all skaters are different and have different needs.
I also have a different view than some, as we have no proshops or fitters. I dont believe they always know the best for your skaters, nor do all coaches. If you read the boards enough you will see what I mean.You as the parent also need to do your homework and find the best for both your skater and your money.
That said, I think the fs boot is a good choice for your skater. I am not sure if you mean ISI fs 3 or usfsa 3 but either way its good choice. I would think the blade that can be changed out would be a better choice.The lower level boot I think is not a changeable blade.
My then 6 year old was in jackson fs, in fact since she was 5 or so. She was small and had no issue with that boot. It wasnt too stiff and had VERY little break in time.She had a fs boot and a mk pro blade.
I think you need some support in a boot but I think the blade is just as inportant.That is why I would recomend a jacskon fs.
She also doesnt need to break down a boot. Break in a boot yes, break down a boot no.
Good luck no matter what you end up with !