View Full Version : Audacity to ipod transfer (cutting music)

SkatingOnClouds
09-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Hoping someone out there can help me with this. I just used Audacity editing program to re-cut my Artistic program music. I wasn't 100% happy with my coach's cut, and made some minor changes, so I did some tinkering and now have a version I am really happy with.

However, I am trying to figure out how to get the new cut onto my Itunes so I can get it on my ipod, and copy it onto a CD for my coach.

Whatever I have tried is not working. Tried exporting as a WAV file, as MP3 file, and I am just not getting into a format I can play or copy.

Anyone out there able to help me with this? :frus: :giveup:

techskater
09-02-2007, 05:37 AM
It needs to be MP3 format and then try burning it to disk with another program (like Roxio or Yahoo Jukebox)

Award
09-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Tried exporting as a WAV file, as MP3 file, and I am just not getting into a format I can play or copy.

Does winamp or windows mediaplayer play those mp3's that you exported using audacity?

If your ipod plays mp3, then what you could do is to first export to wav using audacity. And then use something like virtuosa to convert the wav to mp3. Maybe audacity does something funny with it's mp3 conversion, while other mp3 converters may work better for the ipod.

Try 'virtuosa'...it is free for 30 days. Plenty of time for you to use. I bought the full versions years ago, and it is really good. At... http://www.virtuosa.com/

I think it is an aussie company too....but I have to double-check. Don't worry...they're good.

Skate@Delaware
09-02-2007, 12:13 PM
if you are using audacity, make sure you have the mp3 plug-in. It allows you to process and create mp3's.

Then, when you are ready to bring in your new creation into i-Tunes, open i-Tunes, click on File, then select "add file to library" and navigate to where you've put it.

Hopefully, that takes care of it.

SkatingOnClouds
09-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone! This morning it worked. No idea what I did differently, maybe I was just too tired last night. I now have it copied to CD and ipod.

Skate@Delaware
09-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone! This morning it worked. No idea what I did differently, maybe I was just too tired last night. I now have it copied to CD and ipod.
Yay!!! I know how frustrating it is to have things not work right. Next you need to learn how to "blend" two cuts....it's on the audacity tutorial site....wow is it cool to do!

So, what's the piece???? Mine is "Unfaithful" by Rihanna...ONLY the music and I had to "fix" the beginning cause it was a bit chopped by my coach; although I let her cut the rest.

I like my music but THIS time am only using it one year....learned my lesson, I did!

singerskates
09-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Hoping someone out there can help me with this. I just used Audacity editing program to re-cut my Artistic program music. I wasn't 100% happy with my coach's cut, and made some minor changes, so I did some tinkering and now have a version I am really happy with.

However, I am trying to figure out how to get the new cut onto my Itunes so I can get it on my ipod, and copy it onto a CD for my coach.

Whatever I have tried is not working. Tried exporting as a WAV file, as MP3 file, and I am just not getting into a format I can play or copy.

Anyone out there able to help me with this? :frus: :giveup:

You don't need to make it into .mp3 or to put it through iTunes to burn your edited music onto CD. You can use Real Player or Windows Media Player to burn your .wav file to CD. When you do that it becomes a regular CD like the ones you buy in the music stores.

SkatingOnClouds
09-03-2007, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I don't know why it wouldn't work last night, but I just couldn't access it from any program. Fine now though.

My music is Hallelujah, the Jeff Buckley version, it's for an Artistic comp so vocals are allowed. The full version goes for over 6 minutes, so it required quite ruthless cutting to get it down to 2 min 10 seconds. I even had to speed it up slightly to fit my chosen cut into the time slot - only 4%, so hopefully that won't make a significant difference to skating to it.

There is only one competition per year which features Adult divisions here, so it is only a one-off performance. Such a lot of time, energy, angst and money goes into preparing for those 2 minutes and 10 seconds. Not to mention the whole costume expense.