View Full Version : Generating Speed when changing spin positions

singerskates
09-02-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm working on putting together 3 different forward spins to have a spin with 3 positions all the upright position. My trouble is that I'm not getting enough speed in the layback and my catch from behind the body catch foot spin and I end up on my left leg too long. My left leg seems like it's not strong enough at the moment (will work on strengthening it). I want to go from a layback to my catch foot from behind to a corkscrew (scratch for non-Canadians) but I need to get more speed on my layback and back catch foot. The part where I really have trouble is when I go from the back catch foot to my corkscrew. It's like I stop dead and can only have my freeleg by my skating leg instead of crossed infront plus I am not being able to generate speed in my next position of my upright spin.

Anyone have any tips on how to get speed in the layback?
Get speed going into the back catch foot spin?
To not die when changing to the corkscrew but to gain more speed?

By the way, I'm an Adult Bronze freeskater/Introductory Interpretive skater.

singerskates
09-02-2007, 12:30 AM
opps I meant to start a new thread.

vesperholly
09-02-2007, 03:49 AM
Anyone have any tips on how to get speed in the layback?
The only way to gain speed while spinning is to compact your body and reduce the air drag - pull in your arms and legs, basically. So you want to maintain the speed you enter the spin with. You have to go into a spin in the proper position (I won't say quickly because speed of entrance isn't necessarily what translates to speed of the spin), get a good center and a tight movement into position, and be strong enough to hold the position.

The key to speed in any spin is snap. You want to go in with a deep knee bend and rise quickly. A good center will help maintain speed. Take at least three revolutions to center the spin. Once you center it, a quick transition into the layback position will help you maintain the speed you entered with. If you take several revolutions to push your hips forward, put up your leg and arch your back, you're going to lose speed.

Ideally, a layback will take only one revolution to go from open scratch position to layback position. If you're spinning very fast, maybe two. But DO NOT throw yourself back quickly, because that will just throw you off balance and you'll fall. Think about tensing your muscles and stiffening yourself into the position.

flo
09-04-2007, 08:20 AM
I actually do the opposite for a layback. I elongate the midsection, then relax everything back. The key to the speed is the balance of your hips forward and head, shoulders and free foot back.