View Full Version : Looking for good videos on falling

Query
08-30-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm adding a section to my falling page for internet videos on falling (preferably gently).

:bow:

Know any good ones?

The ones I've found are of mixed quality:

http://www.geocities.com/grunes/falling.html#videos

Some of them are rough or are otherwise unsuitable for children, but I wish to avoid anything yuckie or obscene.

Thanks.
Mitch

xofivebyfive
08-30-2007, 09:30 AM
You mean just a video of skaters falling? I can make one of a whole bunch of my falls if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Query
08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
>You mean just a video of skaters falling? I can
>make one of a whole bunch of my falls if that's
>the kind of thing you're looking for.

If they are gentle.

flippet
08-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Falling 'gently' or falling 'properly'? I can think of a few elite skater falls that aren't necessarily 'gentle', due to their speed and effort, but they do fall 'properly', meaning on the correct (minimizing any injury) spot for the way they're falling. They ought to still be useful for instruction.

For instance, Tara Lipinski's fall in the 98 Nationals short (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGw8RUYP2TQ). At about 1:44. The video quality is crappy, sorry, I couldn't find a better upload.

Sessy
08-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Actually I can think of a few very hard and incorrect falls which would be very good to post as well. As an example of how NOT to fall. Not that I have any video's of it, but hey, just brainstorming here.

Query
08-31-2007, 09:09 PM
[flippet]
>I can think of a few elite skater falls that aren't
>necessarily 'gentle', due to their speed and
>effort, but they do fall 'properly', meaning on the
>correct (minimizing any injury) spot for the
>way they're falling. They ought to still be useful
>for instruction. For instance, Tara Lipinski's fall in
>the 98 Nationals short.

Tara's fall was pretty gentle, and follows the principles I laid out on my page, in that she uses a roll and slide to spread out the impact, but is close to what I called on my page an "Art Fall or Combat Roll" because there was an emphasis on continuing the routine, much like a martial arts fall.

However, her video is of limited usefulness for teaching purposes, because she only falls once in the whole routine. (Apologies to Tara; it is possible her goal was not to create an instructional video on falling.)

[Sessy wrote]
>Actually I can think of a few very hard and incorrect
>falls which would be very good to post as well. As
>an example of how NOT to fall.

You have a good point - demos of incorrect moves are useful too, as long as the distinction is clear.

Some of the example videos I included on my page included falls that resulted in injury.

If I were more photogenic and graceful, I could video myself doing each of the described falls, good and bad. I would probably add in a few done from sitting and kneeling positions to show a learning progression. (I guess I should add that in anyway.) Sigh, only in my dreams could I demo a proper split fall, or a high fast rotational jump ending in a gentle spiral fall, or even the sit-spin-to-breakdance-backspin-and-back-again move.

I may as well dream of doing the real but dificult skating moves right. To some extant I worked on falls because it was something I could master fairly well.

Sessy
09-01-2007, 01:46 AM
Well I hope you finish it. Everybody I've stood on the same ice with says I have really hard falls and I get injured a dear lot. I'm looking forward to instructions on how to fall. We're not really taught that here. As a kid, mom and others taught me some stuff, but I don't remmeber - and neither does mom anymore...

Query
09-03-2007, 01:24 PM
>Well I hope you finish it.

http://www.geocities.com/grunes/falling.html

is "finished", and is in the sticky links - I just keep trying to improve it.

It has been criticized for being complicated. Videos would make it easier to understand.

BTW, many coaches happily give falling lessons. Or ask your skating buddies. Many get lots of practice.