View Full Version : Composing Adult Programs

Caris
08-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Hello all :)

As a total novice to skating competition I'm looking at developing my first program and wondered If I could pick your brains. I'm a UK skater and would be entering at the lowest level, single jumps, basic position spins 1:30 music ect. I only take group lessons so am trying my best to construct most of my program myself, but am not sure what to put in it.

I'm fine on my jumps and spins, the choreography part is fine too. I was wondering what people tend to do inbetween the skills. Is it usual to put in combinations of footwork, 3 turns mohawks ect if so what sort of thing am I looking for and how complex?

Also when it comes to spirals what are you allowed to do for the lowest level? I can do what I call a Y scale (leg up to the side) then keeping hold of the leg switch to arabesque. I can do what I think in skating is called a candle stick. Are these recognised moves in the beginner classes?

Any help from people that have done the UK adult competitions would be fantastic, I've seen the list of what is allowed jump/spin wise, but it doesn't really elaborate.

Many many many thanks for helping out a beginner!

jskater49
08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm not in the UK so I can't comment on requirements..but I have a low level 1:30 program and good luck trying to fit in "extra stuff" I have a forward and backward spiral, a waltz jump, one foot spin, half lutz mazurka, half flip, lunge, and waltz-toe loop, then a two foot spin...I barely can finish the program on time--and I'm low on jumps - most people at my level have more jumps. When I get around to learning a salchow and putting that in there, my one little fancy edge arm movement thing is probably going to have to go. There just isn't much time for anything else.

j

Mrs Redboots
08-30-2007, 04:12 AM
Whereabouts are you, Caris - honestly, your best bet would be to come and watch a few adult competitions! There's a dance competition in Bristol this Sunday; the British Adult Championships (free skating, dance and solo dance) are at Lee Valley at the end of September, and Oxford Seniors, another dance competition, is at Oxford (well, durrr!) at the beginning of November. Then there is the Dune of Flanders Cup in Dunkerque at the end of November/beginning of December.

It is probably worth employing a private coach to help you with your choreography; ask your group instructor for their advice about this.

dooobedooo
08-30-2007, 04:41 AM
... Is it usual to put in combinations of footwork, 3 turns mohawks ect if so what sort of thing am I looking for and how complex?...

You need a step sequence - this can be straight line end-to-end, or straight line diagonal, or circular. It's better if you can get someone to make one up for you. Typically, it will include mohawks/3-turns/edges in both directions, and maybe include some toe steps, lunge etc. You could "pinch" someone else's that they have finished with - ask one of the kids to show you a NISA Level 1 test step sequence.

The step sequence amounts to quite a lot of points, and you can't afford to leave it out. You also have to practice it so that it is very fluent and preferably covers the full length of ice. As you improve, you will cover more ice with the steps.