View Full Version : Move information

Mrs Redboots
08-28-2007, 09:46 AM
As you know, the USFSA Moves in the Field are rather different from the NISA Skating Moves - not necessarily harder or easier, just different, and they average out the same, no doubt.

So a move that is unfamiliar to me, and I've only seen on Skittlskates' video, is the 3-turn exercise from the Pre-Bronze moves. Not the waltz 8 - I know how to do that, although I don't practice it very often - but the one involving inside and outside 3-turns.

Would some kind person talk me through it, please?

Skittl1321
08-28-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm not going to try- as I know I'll get all the edges confused- but this might help you
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=316

momsk8er
08-28-2007, 10:15 AM
There's a video of someone doing this on youtube - search for adult figure skating moves and I think you'll find it. I'd post a link but youtube is blocked at my office.

Mrs Redboots
08-29-2007, 05:39 AM
Thanks, guys. But the point is, I've seen the videos, and really need someone to talk me through which edge I do when!

Skittl1321
08-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Well the moves diagrams should help you figure out which edge.

I'll do my best to explain. You start RFI 3-turn, LFO 3-turn, then you push on a RBI edge, step back on LBO, cross over (some pick up the foot, some dont') RBI, then step forward (mohawk, so in the pocket- but I don't think you do that) to an LFI and repeat.

The moves diagrams say all that- but I just did it in my living room to make sure it works.

Those diagrams I linked to are pretty much all they have in the rulebook to explain the rule- it shows the pattern and when to do each edge.

double3s
08-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Skittle is right, but a couple of points - the judges want to see each 3turn checked properly because this can get reall whippy and out of control. It goes in lobes down the length of the rink, working the same side the entire lobe - 1 lobe for the 2 3s, 1 lobe for BXO, and you must do 4-6 *sets* down the length of the rink. Judges want to see actual lobing and edges, not straight line footwork. Intro and end pattern optional but no more than 4 intro steps.

So start with RI and hold for 1/3 of lobe, RFI3, hold RBO edge until 2/3 point, step to LFO and LFO3 HOLD LBI until back at line

Push to RBI (2 foot transition like in power 3s), BXO at top of lobe, step forward to LFI and hold until back to line,

then step forward RFI and repeat.

double3s
08-29-2007, 06:57 AM
It goes in lobes down the length of the rink, working the same side the entire lobe

Whoops I meant working same side the entire length of the rink.

kayskate
08-29-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm not going to try- as I know I'll get all the edges confused- but this might help you
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=316

Great info! Thanks for posting. Since this is a USFSA site, I am assuming the MITF are performed at a passing standard. Is that true?

Kay

Skittl1321
08-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Great info! Thanks for posting. Since this is a USFSA site, I am assuming the MITF are performed at a passing standard. Is that true?

Kay

No, the moves are not necessarily a passing standard. However, the diagrams are what appears in the rulebook.

The PB moves are definetly above the passing standard, and I imagine some of the higher moves might be below the standard. It's just a helpful guide to know what it looks like- I appreciate it because I have a hard time figuring out the diagrams.

quarkiki2
08-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah -- on the USFS site, Philip Dulebohn is demonstrating this move. I can't think of any PB skater that skates as well as he does, LOL! So you don't necesarily have to skate like an elite on that move to pass...

My issue is getting 4-6 sets on the lenght of the ice -- I can do 2-3 sets comfortably, but haven't quite figured out how to back off on the power in the crossover to make the lobes small enough to get the correct number of sets in -- this is an issue if you have worked on the power threes from the Bronze test more than the PB three turn pattern. So is stepping forward on an inside edge -- it's automatic to step forward on an outside edge if you've worked the power threes.

What it means is that I really SHOULD have tested the PB moves before they instituted the new pattern...

Skittl1321
08-29-2007, 09:25 AM
What it means is that I really SHOULD have tested the PB moves before they instituted the new pattern...

You might still be able to do the old pattern. The judges asked us which pattern we were doing (and both of us gave them funny looks cause we didn't know there was another pattern) and the test form had a place for them to circle the pattern we did.

I don't know how long that is for though, and you're clearly off the ice for a bit longer.

dbny
08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
My issue is getting 4-6 sets on the lenght of the ice -- I can do 2-3 sets comfortably, but haven't quite figured out how to back off on the power in the crossover to make the lobes small enough to get the correct number of sets in --

Don't do a crossover. Instead, do a cross front (which is what is shown in the video). Pick up the crossing foot and place it over the skating foot with no push.

this is an issue if you have worked on the power threes from the Bronze test more than the PB three turn pattern. So is stepping forward on an inside edge -- it's automatic to step forward on an outside edge if you've worked the power threes.

Practice it on a line so that getting back to the line clearly requires a FI edge.
Also, doing a cross front instead of a crossover should get you out of power three mode.

kayskate
08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Just looked at the PB move demo'ed by Dulebohn. I am assuming this is the pattern that took the place of the alternating 3turns on the hockey line that were so difficult for many adults. Those really demanded a lot of control.

Kay

GordonSk8erBoi
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Just looked at the PB move demo'ed by Dulebohn. I am assuming this is the pattern that took the place of the alternating 3turns on the hockey line that were so difficult for many adults. Those really demanded a lot of control.

Kay

Yes. The hard part for me on the alt-3s was the darn step forward, actually. I never wound up testing that (still haven't tested, working on December!)

Thin-Ice
08-30-2007, 03:02 AM
You might still be able to do the old pattern. The judges asked us which pattern we were doing (and both of us gave them funny looks cause we didn't know there was another pattern) and the test form had a place for them to circle the pattern we did.

I don't know how long that is for though, and you're clearly off the ice for a bit longer.

The "old" pattern is no longer an option. The test form given to judges now only shows the "new pattern" as a required element. There was some confusion when they phased out the alternating 3-turns. Because of printing problems in the rulebook, they allowed a one-year period when either pattern was acceptable. There may still be a few test chairs who still have print-outs of the old test form, that they've photocopied... but anyone planning to test PB moves should actually be doing the "Forward Three Turn Pattern".

Mrs Redboots
08-30-2007, 04:21 AM
Thank you. Hey, it won't let me just say "thanks".....

Skittl1321
08-30-2007, 07:42 AM
The "old" pattern is no longer an option. The test form given to judges now only shows the "new pattern" as a required element. There was some confusion when they phased out the alternating 3-turns. Because of printing problems in the rulebook, they allowed a one-year period when either pattern was acceptable. There may still be a few test chairs who still have print-outs of the old test form, that they've photocopied... but anyone planning to test PB moves should actually be doing the "Forward Three Turn Pattern".

Good to know.
The judges at my test (very recent) asked which pattern I was doing. It wasn't just the old form, we were given a choice on the move. So the judges in this area clearly think it's still an option. I responded to quarkiki cause she's in my area. However, it's good to know that that's not supposed to be allowed and not to expect it.