View Full Version : testing w/o coach

kayskate
08-25-2007, 09:08 PM
I am an adult skater and have tested very little for various reasons. I couple yrs ago, I decided to test again and have been befallen w/ bad luck since including my home rink closing and a broken ankle. Long story short: I would like to test. I am a competent skater who regularly took private lessons for ~13 yrs. However, my financial circumstances right now are such that I cannot afford coaching, or at least very little coaching. Plus coaching is very expensive where I live.

So here's my Q. Can I test w/o a coach? I have been coached over the yrs through juv MITF, intermediate FS, and adult silver moves and FS. I currently am not working on the axel anymore due to injury.

I would also be interested in testing ISI. Are the ISI test requirements posted on the net anywhere? Couldn't find them on their site.

Kay

phoenix
08-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I can't answer for ISI, but USFSA, you can test without a coach. Some clubs require a coach's signature on test forms, but not all, so that seems to be a club thing rather than a USFS thing. You could probably work around that if you needed to--just put that you don't have a coach.

As long as you study your rulebook & make sure you've got all the pieces in place, you can go ahead. My advice would be to bring a friend along to put you out--I've competed & tested both with & without a coach, & I definitely hated being there alone. If I'd had a friend there with me, it would have been a lot more fun.

dbny
08-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Some clubs require a coach's signature on test forms, but not all, so that seems to be a club thing rather than a USFS thing.

The way around that is to be an individual member of the USFS, then there are no club restrictions that apply to you. The downside is that you will have to pay more to test. If you do continue without a coach, I recommend you get the PSA videos on MIF. There are lots of other great videos on jumps and spins (the Lussi ones, for example) and most are available from Rainbo (http://rainbosports.com/).

CanadianAdult
08-25-2007, 11:23 PM
A skater can put their own test on the test list in Canada. It's a good way to get yourself fired by your coach if you've got one, and the test chair really doesn't like doing it but it can be done.

techskater
08-26-2007, 05:35 AM
It's possible, but you really need to take at least occasional lessons in order to improve and KNOW whether something is at a passing standard. I can DO the Novice MIF test in its entirety, but it's not all always at a passing standard. I can DO most of the Junior MIF test, but 90% is not at a passing standard. I know these things because I have a set of eyes looking at it giving me proper correction.

Mrs Redboots
08-26-2007, 05:38 AM
This isn't relevant to you, but might be for some readers (and for completeness) - NISA requires a coach's signature and membership number on the test entry forms, so it's impossible to test without one in the UK.

liz_on_ice
08-26-2007, 06:20 AM
ISI requirments are here:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/skating/ice/rec-skate/appendix2/

I think you do need a coach, the organization is rink and professional based, your coach gets credit for having students who pass tests. I'm sure many will be understanding of your financial situation and be willing to schedule only occasional sessions with you. Having one to prep for the test would be a good idea, and then they can sign the paperwork. At the lower levels at least, your coach tests you whenever is convenient for both of you there is no formal test session. You'll have to pay them for their time.

Ellyn
08-26-2007, 08:38 AM
I would also recommend watching a test session at the club where you intend to test before the session you want to test at, so you know what to expect in terms of how things are run and can practice appropriate intro steps, where to place your patterns on the ice, the amount of break to catch your breath you can expect between each move, etc.

If possible, find out which of the tests you saw passed and which didn't, to get a better sense of the passing standard there.

The cost of a test session would probably be more or less similar to the cost of one lesson, so consider that it might be worth having a lesson or two before you test for feedback on what you should improve and *how* to improve it rather than paying a similar amount for judges not to pass you and to tell you only the what and not the how.

dooobedooo
08-26-2007, 11:53 AM
This isn't relevant to you, but might be for some readers (and for completeness) - NISA requires a coach's signature and membership number on the test entry forms, so it's impossible to test without one in the UK.

Sometimes NISA (UK) puts things on forms and they are not set in stone. Remember that it is quite a small organisation. If you ring up the office and speak to an authorised person, you often get a less rigid viewpoint. They do generally require you to be a member of NISA, but not necessarily always to have a coach.

kayskate
08-26-2007, 12:05 PM
I think i will try to work something out w/ a coach who used to teach me several yrs ago. Tell him my goals and maybe only take 15 min when I need it until he says I am ready to take this test or that.

Kay

MusicSkateFan
08-26-2007, 01:42 PM
If you go the USFSA Adult track there are some decent video/downloads of all the MITF tests posted on the USFSA site. If you study your rulebook and have previously done most of the elements you might get by with out a coach.

The videos on line are helpful but IMHO some of the moves demonstrated might not be at a passing level for some clubs (just a fact people, I am not trying to diminish the fine work it took to get them posted!) The videos are meerly there as a guide.

myste12
08-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I've taken a few tests without a coach to put me on the ice. Actually, my ex-coach was caught in traffic and missed my very first USFSA tests. If you're comfortable with the skills, especially for the basic tests (pre-pre or pre-bronze), I don't see a problem with putting yourself on the ice.

My USFSA club does require a coach's signature on the test application though. I've never asked if they can waive that requirement if the skater does not have a coach.

doubletoe
08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
If you go the USFSA Adult track there are some decent video/downloads of all the MITF tests posted on the USFSA site. If you study your rulebook and have previously done most of the elements you might get by with out a coach.

The videos on line are helpful but IMHO some of the moves demonstrated might not be at a passing level for some clubs (just a fact people, I am not trying to diminish the fine work it took to get them posted!) The videos are meerly there as a guide.

I agree that not all of these would have passed under all judges at my club. Although it costs money, I would instead recommend the PSA videos of the standard track MIF. I would also recommend having someone videotape you once in awhile so you can see if you are really doing what you feel like you're doing (I can't say how many times I have thought I was making all my lobes equal and doing a turn at the top of the lobe and then found out they were not even and I was turning too early!).

Skate@Delaware
08-28-2007, 08:49 PM
there seems to be some confusion between testing ISI and USFSA. For ISI, you can find any coach in your rink that tests ISI and have them test you-you do NOT need a coach, but it helps as some of the moves are strange (like back crossovers-you MUST lift your foot OVER and the dance steps).

Whereas for USFSA you register at a hosting rink, and skate in front of judges.

I test ISI and it is nerve-wracking to skate in front of my coach and try not to mess up!!!

Once you test the moves, you do a "freestyle program" with moves in it. Usually choreographed on the fly....we just use my competition program and change stuff. If you flub, you get a reskate. On that particular element. Then the coach submits the results to ISI. Easy!

You might want to get a rulebook for ISI, as it spells out each level's requirements and the steps and how they are done. Like the dance steps, which really aren't dance steps but "moves" done on a circle or serpentine pattern.... :frus:

And if you go to Don Korte's website www.sk8stuff.com (http://www.sk8stuff.com) you will find a table that equates ISI levels with USFSA...very important to keep in mind if you every skate in a USFSA competition so you don't skate over/under your level. Generally (altho each comp has their own rules). (here it is in case you need help: http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_rules/level_equivs.htm)