View Full Version : Heel pivots - uncaptured?

AshBugg44
08-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know if, according to ISI, pivots done on the heel are considered uncaptured?

Skittl1321
08-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Try to bump this up for you, as I don't know the answer, but doesn't the ISI rulebook have a list of uncaptured elements? I think when in doubt check a rulebook is the best way to go.

That said- i've never heard of anyone doing a pivot on the tail of their blade for anything other than goofing around, so IMO, I wouldn't use it.

TreSk8sAZ
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
That said- i've never heard of anyone doing a pivot on the tail of their blade for anything other than goofing around, so IMO, I wouldn't use it.

Sorry, don't know the answer to the question (haven't skated ISI since I was little) but there are people who do a heel pivot or some variation of it in their programs. I was one of them to do so, and the program did very well in USFSA. So do feel free to use it if it is allowed (I can't imagine it wouldn't be uncaptured as it's not taught in classes that I know of).

Skittl1321
08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
(I can't imagine it wouldn't be uncaptured as it's not taught in classes that I know of).

But there are some movements that are not taught in the levels and are also not listed as uncaptured. I don't know if performing something that is not listed as uncaptured would garner the same deduction as performing an uncaptured move that is listed at a higher level, if it would just not be considered when scoring the program, or if it would be scored as an extra move like any listed uncaptured move. I don't have an ISI rulebook in front of me.

Thanks for correcting me on the heel pivots being used in programs, like I said- I've just never seen it.

Virtualsk8r
08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
I am not familiar with the term, uncaptured, as my federation doesn't use that term and I have not seen it used by the ISU.....so I am assuming that it refers to moves that are not allowed?

However, I do know that there is a blade produced by John Watts in England - it's called the Freedom blade - that actually has a blade which wraps around the heel section so that the skater can use the edges on the heel to perform tricks such as spread eagles or heel spins. Michael Weiss used the blades in competition.

The ISU approved the use of such blades, and therefore did not disallow skaters from 'skating' on their heels, or performing heel spins.

I have used one rotation spins on one heel in a number of programs for skaters - but if the move rotates more than one rotation it will be counted as a spin, which under the CoP system fills a box with a blank!!!

Skittl1321
08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Virtualsk8tr- uncaptured is a term that ISI uses to classify moves that are not specifically taught at any level. ISI is very particular that moves from levels above your level cannot be in programs, so it's important to know what's in a level above you and what is "uncaptured". Different competitions have different rules about the use of uncaptured moves.

Virtualsk8r
08-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the clarification! Wow - why does ISI make it so difficult....isn't it just easier at times to go the USFSA route?

Skittl1321
08-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the clarification! Wow - why does ISI make it so difficult....isn't it just easier at times to go the USFSA route?

Well, to some people this is actually a GOOD thing.

For example a salchow isn't until Freestyle 3, but I learned it in Freestyle 1. BUT If I was competing Freestyle 1 I can only do a half flip and a waltz jump, which puts me on an even playing field with other freestyle 1 skaters. I can't do the more advanced jumps in competition, even if I know them.

It discourages the "sandbagging" effect- because if you have the higher jumps, and want to compete with them in your program, you have to move up.

AshBugg44
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
But for spotlight programs, you can include moves from higher levels up to a certain point. Like Delta and below can include elements up through Freestyle 1. It's just in technical programs where you are restricted to elements from your level or lower.