View Full Version : skating at Wollman...

littlerain
08-24-2007, 10:53 PM
I was just looking at classes at Wollman. Does anyone know the dates that the classes run? (I feel dumb but I can't find the info on their website!)

I know a few of you guys skate there. Do you prefer it to other rinks in Manhattan? (if so, what do you like about it?)

liz_on_ice
08-25-2007, 06:20 AM
I haven't seen the opening date posted yet, but it tends to be a week or two after Rockefeller Center, which will open Oct 6. Lessons won't start opening day, I think the ice is public session and free all day. Likely they will have coaches to evaluate what class you should take and you can sign up.

Classes are expensive I think, $350 / 10 weeks when I was shopping group lessons for my DD last season. That works out to more $$ than private lessons at Rockefeller Center. Now RC is tiny and crowded and may not suit you, but it has charm. The regulars are a sweet bunch, and everyone else is tourists. The thing about tourists is they are all so happy and excited to be there, it is infectious. :D

littlerain
08-25-2007, 09:39 AM
i think (from what I understand) ice time is also included in lessons. The adult skating academy, for $925, is 4 lessons a week and includes ice. (Can someone tell me if I'm wrong?)

liz_on_ice
08-25-2007, 11:03 AM
i think (from what I understand) ice time is also included in lessons. The adult skating academy, for $925, is 4 lessons a week and includes ice. (Can someone tell me if I'm wrong?)

Not wrong at all, the skating academy is a great deal, wish it fit my schedule. The daughter I was looking for lessons for is pre-alpha and I just wanted a weekly group class.

dbny
08-25-2007, 02:41 PM
The daughter I was looking for lessons for is pre-alpha and I just wanted a weekly group class.

Group lessons at Aviator are $250 for 10 weeks and include a public session, which on Sat & Sun is noon to 4 PM.

liz_on_ice
08-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Group lessons at Aviator are $250 for 10 weeks and include a public session, which on Sat & Sun is noon to 4 PM.

I watched them laying down fresh ice this afternoon with the giant sprayer thing. When we were done skating (public skate was moved to the hockey ice) they were freezing string to the ice to mark out the places for the lines. It was neat to watch. Wish I could have stuck around to watch them paint. I'm such a nerd.

dbny
08-25-2007, 07:21 PM
I watched them laying down fresh ice this afternoon with the giant sprayer thing. When we were done skating (public skate was moved to the hockey ice) they were freezing string to the ice to mark out the places for the lines. It was neat to watch. Wish I could have stuck around to watch them paint. I'm such a nerd.

I love that stuff too! I wish I could have skated. I've been running around like crazy with all the last minute stuff to get DD off to school in China tomorrow. This included two trips to the Apple store on Staten Island, as her MacBook decided to have hardware problems yesterday :x.