View Full Version : Hopes, Dreams, and how far you want to go in skating

Muskoka Skater
08-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Everybody,

I was wondering what are all of your's hopes, dreams, and how far you want to go in skating. I thought this would be a good idea to see what everybody has to say.

My hopes, dreams, and how far I want to go in skating:

I'd love to win a couple of Canadian Championships. Go to Worlds a couple of times. I also want to go to the 2014 and maybe 2018 Winter Olympics too. Also when I'm done skating I want to become a great coach and coach till the end of my life.

kander
08-22-2007, 10:56 PM
I'd like to keep skating pain free into my 70s while maintaining my doubles!

Kevin

jp1andOnly
08-23-2007, 12:01 AM
well since Multiple Sclerosis is unpredictable, I'd just like to keep skating as long as the disease lets me. I'll worry about that later though

Rusty Blades
08-23-2007, 02:45 AM
Since I am 58 and just started skating in 2006 after being away for 36 years, I have no delusions about my physical abilities. There will always be a lot of people who skate better than I do and have a better build for skating.

What I want in skating is simply to skate beautiful programs, ones that the audience will enjoy.

Since I have a competitive streak, I have to constantly keep reminding myself that it isn't about points, it's about beauty.

Mrs Redboots
08-23-2007, 03:55 AM
I should like to be able to compete in Bronze Dance and not make a prat of myself. However, that is probably unrealistic.

double3s
08-23-2007, 06:53 AM
I want to pass Gold (adult) moves, and the Gold dances. I'd also like to get a set of single jumps.

Currently I've only passed pre bronze moves and 2 (of 3) of the preliminary dances. And currently I don't jump at all because I have been rehabbing an injured hip flexor and achilles tendon, both on my landing leg. But before the injury I was the proud owner of a waltz jump (well, waltz hop, or sometimes, waltz thud). So I've quite a ways to go. But I figure hey, I'm only 40 (as of next month). I've got at least 30 more years of skating left in me!

Sonic
08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
This is a really difficult question. What I dream about doing, and what I'll actually be able to achieve are two different things.

I would like to have consistent single jumps up to and including Lutz, combination spins (sit and camels) on both feet and hopefully a layback spin. I'm a slow learner, a bit of a chicken, and not very flexible so doubt very much I'll ever get beyond that - but you never know with skating lol!

In dance, I would like to be able to do all the dances (consistently, don't think 'well' is going to be achievable) up to and including 14-step/bronze foxtrot level.

S xxx

Skittl1321
08-23-2007, 07:57 AM
I hope to eventually be able to compete at adult nationals.

jskater49
08-23-2007, 08:04 AM
I'd just like to have enough money and health to keep skating.

j

liz_on_ice
08-23-2007, 08:11 AM
How far I'd like to go - I'd like to have an axle and at least one double in my lifetime. If I make it, I'll be learning those skills in my forties so it is a challenging goal. I'd like to compete at adult nationals at bronze or even silver level a few times. I might make it to gold but I'm not holding my breath.

I want to be a role model to my kids for a healthy lifestyle. I want to still be strong and fit into my seventies and beyond. I want to have grandkids and be able to take them skating.

xofivebyfive
08-23-2007, 08:57 AM
I would love love love to land a double axel or one triple. That's is my ultimate goal, and has been from the beginning.

I would like to eventually pass through Senior moves and Intermediate Freestyle. I really want to end up competing at the championship masters level at adult nationals someday when I'm old enough. That's the highest level right?

chowskates
08-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I would love love love to land a double axel or one triple. That's is my ultimate goal, and has been from the beginning.

I would like to eventually pass through Senior moves and Intermediate Freestyle. I really want to end up competing at the championship masters level at adult nationals someday when I'm old enough. That's the highest level right?

Cool, Laura! Given how you are progressing now, I'm sure you will achieve that! :bow:

chowskates
08-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Hopes and dreams?
- to one day to get all doubles
- skate a *perfect* program
- find a dance partner! :lol:

*JennaD*
08-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I hope to pass my Gold tests in Dance, Freestyle, and Skills!! That's gonna take me a while...lol but I still really want to pass gold in all 3 disciplines! Like Laura, I would also LOVE to land a double axel...but seeing as my single axel is barely there right now, that could also take me quite a while:)

coskater64
08-23-2007, 10:14 AM
After my hip replacement I would like to come back (slowly), finish all my moves tests, just jr and sr. Pass all my dances and find a way to get all my free dances completed. Then if I am very careful in coming back to jumping --- and just get back the 2 sow and 2 toe, obviously my axel and skate well in my nov ladies group. If I move slowly enough that should happen by the time I am a four, I will be moving down to silver at the ISU event....:evil:

manleywoman
08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
1) I'd like my hip to heal too, then get my 2flip back.
2) The only tests I have left that I want to take are 3rd figure and 4th figure.
3) And someday I'd like to get through Sectionals back to the Championship Master round, but I'm not holding my breath.

I passed my Jr and Sr MIF this year, and don't plan on taking the Jr or Sr Free test ever. I'm happy at the freeskate level I'm in. I don't plan on taking any more dance tests (I got through Pre-Silver). So I think after ten years of pushing, competing, testing, and double run-throughs, I'm taking some time off to coast for a while and not worry about training for anything in particular.

jazzpants
08-23-2007, 10:44 AM
I've reached my dream of being eligible to go to Adult Nationals already... I'm with Kevin in spirit in wanting to skate well into my 80's relatively pain free. (As for doubles... well, I'm not expecting anything at this point! I'm REALLY REALLY fearing the axel right now!!! 8O )

My next BIG "dream skating goal" is to compete at Champ. Adult Gold at AN and medal... just like my heroes, doubletoe and Cinderella on Ice!!! :bow:

BelleBway
08-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I want to skate a program to music (well, ultimately, more than just 1 of course), and to compete at adult nationals.

I'm still working on pre-bronze moves so I have a way to go... but I don't plan on giving up any time soon.

CanadianAdult
08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
I'd like to have gold skills. I'd just like to skate and look like someone who had their gold skills. I'd like Kurt Browning to coach me for footwork too ;)

I'd like to be skating until I die, even if it is on senior citizens skate. I skate with quite a few people over the age of 75 and 80 on the afternoon session so know that it is possible, even with hip and knee replacements.

If for some reason I couldn't be on the ice anymore, I'd be a judge. I already coach but don't know how long that could last.

cecealias
08-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Realistic goals: all doubles through double lutz. senior FS, senior moves, elite speed spins, but most of all skate like a DREAM and make everyone envious!!:twisted: :lol:

And btw, that's from someone who was told back when she starting pre-preliminary skills she'd never get past juvenile moves!! Hahaha

desabelle
08-23-2007, 12:11 PM
I'd love to land my doubles consistently again, and maybe start trying triples. I'd also love to get the speed in my spins up, and finish up all my starskate tests.

Realistically, it's doable except for maybe the triples. I just need to get my confidence up again, and start trying harder jumps then just singles and axels all the time.

icedancer2
08-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm with those whose ultimate goal is just to keep skating until I can no longer stand up. I have also skated with those seniors who found skating to be a relaxing and enjoyable passtime, a good way to keep the body moving with a great social network... - that is really my goal.

In the meantime, I would like to take some more dance tests - ideally get my Golds in Dance, Gold Moves and Gold Figures (Adult Gold, that is!).

Another goal would be to take and pass my 2nd figure test, which I outright flunked when I was twelve and could never get ready to pass again for the next two years I skated.

Judge-wise my only aspiration is to get my Gold Dance Test appointment. I don't have any Regionals/Sectionals/Nationals aspirations as I really enjoy working with the kids on a local and grass-roots level.

Finding an agreeable dance partner and competing a little would also be great, but I don't hold out any illusions on that front.

Sessy
08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
I wanna jump up to double loop at least someday.
I HOPE to jump up to 2axel consistently before I'm 31, cuz that would open up the possibility of participating in the nationals... Dunno if it's realistic, I think not, but I'm giving it my best shot and seeing where it takes me. I'm definately not intent on destroying my body to do it, but it's a tempting carrot to walk after.

blackmanskating
08-23-2007, 05:17 PM
While I do not have Olympic goals, I have many personal goals when it comes to skating. I would like to be a great coach one day. I would like to have all my triple jumps through triple axel. :mrgreen: I want to help increase figure skating participation in African American Communities. Who knows???? I might want to build and own my own ice skating facility one day.

BlackManSkating

garusha
08-23-2007, 05:17 PM
I want to have all single jumps up to the axel and, maybe, land a double jump one day. I don't know if it's realistic because I'm in my forties already. But you never know. When I first started skating a year-and-a half ago, I thought I'd never be able to do anything more challenging than crossovers. Now I have a decent waltz jump, a small toe-loop and something that remotely looks like a salchow.

I also want to become a good spinner. I've just read somewhere that spinning is the the most important thing in figure skating. Too sad, because I'm not a natural spinner. :twisted: But I'm not giving up.

I want to start competing and maybe, go to Adult Nationals one day. That would be cool!

garusha
08-23-2007, 05:19 PM
While I do not have Olympic goals,

BlackManSkating

You never know. You are such a fast learner! Perhaps, one day...

SynchroSk8r114
08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
What a great topic! :D

My ultimate goals are:

To continue coaching and develop a reputation as a great (talented, kind, successful, skilled, educated, etc.) coach while inspiring kids and showing them the best this sport has to offer.

To coach a skater all the way through their Senior MIF.

To pass through at least my Novice (maybe Junior, but that's a stretch...) freestyle.

To pass all my Gold dances and possbily some Internationals.

To perhaps tackle and pass Senior free dance once I complete the rest of my compulsory dances.

To be a triple USFSA gold medalist (pass through Senior) in Dance, MIF (already accomplished!), and free dance. One down, two to go!

I'm sure I've got more, but those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head! :D

tidesong
08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
More possible goals:
Get doubles up to double lutz
Learn a bit of ice dancing on a full sized rink
Learn moves in the field
Get a perfect split on traditional spiral position
Able to hold spins for many many many rounds, esp camel (forwards and backwards). I don't think I've ever broken 10 rounds for camel and regularly have trouble around 6 or 7

Really big dreams:
Land all triples up to triple lutz
Do a level 4 step sequence in competition

Mrs Redboots
08-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Husband's dream is to land his axel before he is 60. We have 3 1/2 years, and he has yet to start work on the lutz. Wonder if he'll do it.....

Morgail
08-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I would like to:

-get all my doubles (except the axel)
-be able to do a variety of spins and spin combinations
-maybe get a gold medal in dance if I can learn to count;)
-get gold medals in Moves and FS
-go to Adult Nationals in Gold and place well
-learn the higher standard track Moves, even if I don't test them
-skate for as long as I live:)
-maybe become a coach or a judge later on

wasabi
08-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Realistic: to pass 8/9 international dances (halfway there already!); to go back and take my Starlight plus any other dances that are eventually added

Not-so-realistic: to pass all 9 internationals, including the Golden Waltz. Being able to make it through two patterns without splatting is hard enough, but finding someone capable of teaching or even doing the dance and getting the practice time in to even get to that level makes it completely unrealistic.

Of course if they actually get around to adding a new international some day, I'll lump that in with the realistic goals. For freestyle, I'm pretty much done setting long-term goals, but I'd like to be able to do all level 4 spins (except layback) under each year's set of rules (since they're constantly changing!) for as long as possible.

quarkiki2
08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I just want a camel spin.

blackmanskating
08-24-2007, 01:51 PM
You never know. You are such a fast learner! Perhaps, one day...

I don't know. I'm a fast learner when it comes to jumping because I love to jump. I still have many weaknesses in my skating. I'm 25 so I think I'm too old. Most of the Olympians I've seen were there by 16-20. And I don't wanna know how much money they spend to get there. I'll tell ya what. If I ever get a quad, then I'll go for it!!! That would be awesome! Could you imagine a 30-something year old doing a quad??? He or she would put all these young skaters to shame. :bow:

BlackManSkating

NoVa Sk8r
08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm 25 so I think I'm too old. Most of the Olympians I've seen were there by 16-20. And I don't wanna know how much money they spend to get there. I'll tell ya what. If I ever get a quad, then I'll go for it!!! That would be awesome! Could you imagine a 30-something year old doing a quad??? He or she would put all these young skaters to shame.Remember, Todd Eldredge, at 30 and going on 31, competed at the 2002 Olympics and finished a respectable 6th. 8-)

jazzpants
08-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Remember, Todd Eldredge, at 30 and going on 31, competed at the 2002 Olympics and finished a respectable 6th. 8-)And he did attempt a quad toe (I think it was a quad toe... it's 5 years ago... the memory is the 2nd to go and I forgot what the 1st is... :P ) but splatted on it.

Hail to the "old" folks!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

blackmanskating: Keep at it!!! You might just surprise yourself... (And I still want videos of those double axels, BTW...) ;) :P

oz01
08-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I'd just like to have enough money and health to keep skating.

j

That's exactly what I was thinking

doubletoe
08-24-2007, 06:44 PM
To be able to do at least one thing on the ice each year that I couldn't do the year before, even when I'm 64.

FSWer
08-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure how much I count. But I surely hope to be able to skate better and do tricks.

jskater49
08-24-2007, 07:43 PM
To be able to do at least one thing on the ice each year that I couldn't do the year before, even when I'm 64.

That's a great goal. Sometimes I get discouraged when I see (or read here) how fast people progress and then I just have to look back at where I was a year ago and how much I've progressed and I'm doing great by my time table.

j

kayskate
08-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I am an adult skater who quad roller skated recreationally as a kid. Started to take ice lessons at 25 yr old. Now I am 40. I've gotten fairly good in spite of life, job, injuries, etc. A couple yrs ago i was teaching grp lessons. I have never found anyhting else in my life that I want to do as much as skating. My dream is to earn a significant portion of my living in ice skating. I'm going to give it a shot.

Kay