View Full Version : that pesky salchow

liz_on_ice
08-21-2007, 10:13 AM
No matter what I do, I seem to strike the ice with my free foot as I bring it around. Watching my practice tape the other day even if I couldn't see it, I could hear it.

:idea: Of course I didn't think of this till after I'd left the rink, and I don't have a lesson this week and won't get to practice again till tomorrow (sniff) but... is that free leg square or turned out when you check the 3 and as you start to swing it forward?

jazzpants
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
is that free leg square or turned out when you check the 3 and as you start to swing it forward?Turned out. (Imagine you're about to kick a ball as you're about to swing through.)

Sessy
08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I had the same problem when I was kicking from the heel, forgetting about the existance of my toes. I started pointing my toe right after the 3-turn so I'd be conscious of where my toe was and I stopped hitting the ice.

doubletoe
08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Also, check to see if maybe you could be you dipping your right shoulder and hip as you bring the free leg around. Try keeping the right shoulder and hip high and really stay over the left hip.