View Full Version : speaking of books-great ones for kids

littlekateskate
08-21-2007, 07:10 AM
After a suggestion for a few books i have recieved on here. I was curious what were some good books to get my daughter as well. She loves to read and how fun would it be to be reading a book about skating. :)

Skittl1321
08-21-2007, 07:37 AM
The book is old (and out of date b/c it talks about figures) but I adored "A Very Young Skater" when I was little. It had beautiful (black and white) pictures that showed a young girl and how hard she worked each day to skate, with fairly easy to understand text.

"I am a skater" featues Emily Hughes and is an easy reader for grades 2-4, which would probably be appropriate as a read aloud book.

"I love skating" has pretty good pictures.

Search Amazon.com for 'ice skating' there is a TON on there!

3skatekiddos
08-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I loved the Very Young series when I was little. I am in my mid 30's to put that in perspective ! We just took A Very Young Skater out of the library to read to my my 4 yo and she really liked it as well.

AshBugg44
08-21-2007, 11:13 AM
When I was in elementary we had some of the "A Very Young" series in our library, including the skater one. I loved them!!!

wasabi
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
I think there's a skating book called The Silver Skates or something similar -- it comes with a little silver skating charm necklace.

Edited to add -- I'm listening to You've Got Mail while I'm online, and apparently there's another book that I had completely forgotten until they mentioned it in the movie: Skating Shoes. There's also the Silver Blades series -- an easy to read young teen/older child (I read them around 7-8) series that I loved as a kid. By the way, these are all fiction (not instructional).

Here's an amazon list of skating books: http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Skating-Books/lm/2WAH842722YO3/ref=cm_lmt_dtpa_f_1_rdssss0/104-2580133-1167924?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=listmania-center&pf_rd_r=106MJT0MDZ3ANCMCE3FA&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=253462201&pf_rd_i=1550286366

Mrs Redboots
08-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Rather out of date, but not, I think, out of print is Noel Streatfeild's White Boots, published in the USA as Skating Shoes.

littlekateskate
08-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I have never heard of the The Very Young Series ( i have no idea where i was growing up-seems like everyone else has read them). I think my daughter will love most of them!

And while searching for some of these new great reccomendations.. I found only one listing on ebay for skate shoes and thought I would share... hopefully i can find the british version cheaper :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skating-Shoes-Noel-Streatfeild-1985-Dell-Yearling-SC_W0QQitemZ8006668580QQihZ017QQcategoryZ279QQrdZ1 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Skittl1321
08-21-2007, 04:27 PM
I have never heard of the The Very Young Series ( i have no idea where i was growing up-seems like everyone else has read them). I think my daughter will love most of them!

And while searching for some of these new great reccomendations.. I found only one listing on ebay for skate shoes and thought I would share... hopefully i can find the british version cheaper :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skating-Shoes-Noel-Streatfeild-1985-Dell-Yearling-SC_W0QQitemZ8006668580QQihZ017QQcategoryZ279QQrdZ1 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I was able to buy "A Very Young Skater" for $1.97- but on the same webiste someone was listing it for $80! You'll find that a lot with old books that are out of print. People don't really want to get rid of them, but will if the price is right! (A Very Young Gymnast and Dancer are also superb. I also remember one about a Rider)

SynchroSk8r114
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I think there's a skating book called The Silver Skates or something similar -- it comes with a little silver skating charm necklace.

Loved this just for the little necklace that came with it. I think I wore it everywhere! :lol:

There's also the Silver Blades series -- an easy to read young teen/older child (I read them around 7-8) series that I loved as a kid. By the way, these are all fiction (not instructional).

Same. I read these books around the same age as you and I liked them a lot. Surprisingly, for a fiction series, they're not too far out of touch with the sport and bring up a lot of good topics/issues related to skating. Highly recommend!

CaraSkates
08-21-2007, 09:11 PM

Edited to add -- I'm listening to You've Got Mail while I'm online, and apparently there's another book that I had completely forgotten until they mentioned it in the movie: Skating Shoes. There's also the Silver Blades series -- an easy to read young teen/older child (I read them around 7-8) series that I loved as a kid. By the way, these are all fiction (not instructional).

Here's an amazon list of skating books: http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Skating-Books/lm/2WAH842722YO3/ref=cm_lmt_dtpa_f_1_rdssss0/104-2580133-1167924?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=listmania-center&pf_rd_r=106MJT0MDZ3ANCMCE3FA&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=253462201&pf_rd_i=1550286366

Book loving 17 year old here...I love Silver Blades! They are WAY below my reading level (self taught at age 4...) but I have been buying them off ebay for the past year just to read for fun! One takes me about 20mins to read and I just love them! I also loved Skating Shoes (and all the Shoes books are just excellent in general...) and A Very Young Skater and the Emily Hughes...
BTW, I did not read most of these till I was at least 15 and still loved them just because I love books and skating!

Tennisany1
08-22-2007, 12:23 AM
My dd has a book called "The Greatest Figure Skater in the World." It is a really cute book suitable for a preschooler up to about grade 1. Picture book style, it is about a young girl taking her first group lessons and the skating show at the end of the year.

dooobedooo
08-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Rather out of date, but not, I think, out of print is Noel Streatfeild's White Boots, published in the USA as Skating Shoes.

A bit off topic, but for UK readers this thread reminded me that BBC TV are about to make a series on Noel Streatfield's "Ballet Shoes". (Casting it was quite a problem, apparently, finding children who could speak 1930's-style cut-class English). Anyway, Emma Watson (Harry Potter's Hermione Granger) will be in it. Link: http://www.ballet.co.uk/dcforum/news/3836.html

I loved those books as a kid, but couldn't understand a lot - their world was so remote ...