View Full Version : Shops Selling Ice Skates!

batonstar
08-21-2007, 04:13 AM
My local ice rink which is in Norwich (which I have to say is 25 miles from where I live) doesn't have very good opening times.

I want to buy a pair of skates but I had a look through the doors the other day when I was over there and all they seemed to have were Bauers and Jacksons.
I wanted a shop that had a reasonable choice of brands such as Risports, Riedells etc.

The shop's opening times are 11-3 on weekdays and from 5pm on weekends, of which neither time is good for me, and the shop itself, I have seen sheds that are bigger.

Are these times usual for a shop selling ice skates at a rink?, and can anyone suggest another shop near to where I live? (Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK), or one that may be in the Northampton area? as I am going there in a couple of weeks.

Mrs Redboots
08-21-2007, 05:41 AM
You won't get Riedells easily in this country as they have to be imported from the USA. And Jacksons aren't bad for a first skate, but you won't know exactly what they have until you've been in there and asked.

Is there a telephone number for the shop - you may find the proprietor is willing to come in at a mutually convenient time; I know ours does that. Worth ringing and asking.

Almost all rink shops are very small and sell mostly hockey stuff (Nottingham being the exception), but they do have free skating stuff if you ask! And will often order for you, but you really do need to know exactly what you want.

The only other ice rink within spitting distance of where you live that may have a shop is Chelmsford Riverside.

Otherwise, Google is your friend - there are a variety of on-line shops (Topskate, which appears to have demised; Everglides (http://www.everglides.co.uk/)) but you need to know exactly what you want to order from them.

sk8_4fun
08-21-2007, 06:59 AM
I have bought blades and other bits and pieces from everglides and the chap there is very helpful. I also know a few people who have bought boots from him and he was very good at advising the correct size, and in one case that I'm aware of, he was willing to exchange when they didn't quite fit. You can Reidells from there too. I would look him up and see if he can help you.

good luck.

airyfairy76
08-21-2007, 07:23 AM
I mentioned already on one of your other threads that I was very lucky in buying well-fitting Reidells of the internet when I started skating?

Well, they were from Everglides. I spoke to the owner and told him what my foot measurements were and he advised me on size. He also said that if they didn't fit well, and as long as i hadn't heat moulded them (as you can do with Reidells), then I could exchange them for another size.

As I have said, I will always have them fitted now, but certainly for an internet vender. I was very pleased with the help and service that I had.

Coldfete
08-22-2007, 09:30 AM
My local ice rink which is in Norwich (which I have to say is 25 miles from where I live) doesn't have very good opening times.

I want to buy a pair of skates but I had a look through the doors the other day when I was over there and all they seemed to have were Bauers and Jacksons.
I wanted a shop that had a reasonable choice of brands such as Risports, Riedells etc.

The shop's opening times are 11-3 on weekdays and from 5pm on weekends, of which neither time is good for me, and the shop itself, I have seen sheds that are bigger.

Are these times usual for a shop selling ice skates at a rink?, and can anyone suggest another shop near to where I live? (Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK), or one that may be in the Northampton area? as I am going there in a couple of weeks.

'The SK8 Shop' at the Norwich rink is on : 01603 416600 / 01603 779667. There is also a shop in the city of Norwich named 'Skatewise Skate Shop' telephone 01603 764644. These two shops are part of the same organisation. Both shops sell a fairly wide range of skates including Risport, Belati, Bauer, Jackson,Edea etc.

flippet
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM

I would still recommend that you go into a shop (if the personnel are recommended by those who know) and be fitted. You don't have to stick to the brands that a shop stocks--nearly everyone can/will order a different brand if you like. But being fitted, even using what they have in stock, will give you a starting point. If the fitter is really good, they can look at how, say, the Jackson fits you, and if it's not perfect, can perhaps recommend another brand that may fit better.

I've gotta tell you, buying skates is trial-and-error. It really is. You simply don't know what you really need and like, until you've tried *something*. I started out in Riedells, and they were fine for beginning, but I've discovered that for me, at least, they were prone to stretching out in the heel too much. And, I discovered that for the way I skate, I'd started out in a boot that was probably a little soft for me--I broke them down in 6 months, though I made them work for another 6 months.

But this was something that I couldn't have known beforehand. It doesn't make Riedell a bad skate, just not perfect for me. And who knew how I'd skate, until I did it? I skated with an older lady who had a Riedell model even softer than mine, and after a year, she barely even had creases in her skate. We just skate differently, although she skated regularly, as did I.

It took me three or maybe four pairs of boots (and years of skating) to find one that I really love. And I still have very minor issues with them, but I know what they are, and I know how to fix them for next time (I'm not skating much right now, so it's a moot point).

If you find something that's perfect for you the first time out, that's fabulous. But be warned that it may not happen. The best you can do is to look for professionals to advise you, and then go through some trials. It usually takes some time, and yes, it will take some money too. That's just the way it goes in this sport, so be prepared.