View Full Version : FSuniverse makes you pay

littlekateskate
08-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Not sure if anyone here is a member of figureskatinguniverse forums. But seriously they make you pay to discuss events! That is insane! LOL Makes this site so much nicer :) haha

Stormy
08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Ok, that's not necessarily true. You can discuss events without having to pay. Remember, FSU DOES cost money to run, as does this site, and being a supporting member helps FSU run smoothly. I'm happy to pay my part to have an awesome website such as FSU. The mods over there are awesome. Maybe get a little MORE info on the situation before making such a blanket snarking statement? JMO.

FSWer
08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
AH,HA!!!!!!! I'm not sure from what I'm reading here if it means your paying to POST as well. On any part of the board. But if that's true. Then NO WONDER I can't post or reply,or even log-in.

the old gurl
08-20-2007, 09:49 PM
AH,HA!!!!!!! I'm not sure from what I'm reading here if it means your paying to POST as well. On any part of the board. But if that's true. Then NO WONDER I can't post or reply,or even log-in.No, Dana...the only part that requires the Season's Pass is the Kiss and Cry, just the same as last year. You can still post in all the other areas.

YOUR problem is something we can't seem to figure out...don't know why...

FWIW, you do realize that the owner of THIS site also has a paid membership at FSU?

FSWer
08-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Oh.....wel I miss it. So I sure hope they don't charge here. I love you all.

A.H.Black
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
This is the second year that FSU has required a subscription fee for the competition boards. Last year it was $5.00. This year it is $6.00 (I think). Other boards are indeed free, but FSU has, by far, the most active boards when it comes to competitions. Because there are so many posters there it costs that much more to run - especially to keep it up and running when there are loads of people on it for live discussions of events.

While I wish it could be voluntary, the fee is appropriate given the services offered and I don't mind paying. Frankly, FSU is faster at getting skating news posted than anywhere else. At least for now.

doubletoe
08-20-2007, 10:00 PM
It's true, there's a lot more activity from die-hard skating fans on FSU, although this is a better board for posting if you are a skater yourself.

Last season it was worth my little subscription fee to get real-time play-by-plays of skaters' programs at Worlds as they were happening. . . to which some of you may ask, does Doubletoe do ANYTHING other than hang out on figure skating boards? The answer is no. ROFL!!

phoenix
08-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Other boards are indeed free, but FSU has, by far, the most active boards when it comes to competitions. Because there are so many posters there it costs that much more to run - especially to keep it up and running when there are loads of people on it for live discussions of events.

That's so true--people may not realize, often during the large competitions there are FSU'ers in the stands w/ a laptop (or something) posting a 'play by play' so the rundown of each program & results are posted in practically real time. Until something like Icenetwork puts up live internet coverage of all events, it doesn't get much better than that! Well worth a small fee, IMO. If you're not quite such a 'rabid' fan, then you can post in other areas for free, & still get tons of info.

CanadianAdult
08-20-2007, 10:58 PM
I've met FSU members. They were...............intense. :bow: Serious. serious fun. I used to read without paying then this year I coughed up the cash for a full membership. It was a lesson's worth. What I appreciate is the coverage of the small regional competitions, stuff that would never make it to TV. I skate with a lot of these kids and like to see what others think.

And, without FSU I would never have seen such eye cringing costume pictures as what occurs in ice dance. wow. why. ohmygod.

liz_on_ice
08-21-2007, 05:34 AM
I just found them the other day myself, and forked over the six bucks. If it as much fun as it looks I'll probably go for the full membership next year. I haven't posted yet, but I'm 'lizny' over there, cuz I think I'll keep the on-ice chat mostly here.

littlekateskate
08-21-2007, 07:04 AM
I was just irritated mainly because I posted a link asking about the Indy challenge and they deleted it. And i was told I couldnt post it. If i wanted to discuss competitions I had to go to kiss and cry and pay.

I cant believe they deleted my post/question.

And how is a newbe supposed to know kiss and cry means competition lol specially when you cant get in there to read what the posts are about.

Isk8NYC
08-21-2007, 07:19 AM
FSU may not have deleted it; they may have moved it to the appropriate forum. As Stormy says "The mods over there are awesome." (As opposed to the crummy mods here. Thanks so much. :roll:)

BTW, this thread doesn't belong in the "On Ice-Skaters" forum. A better place to put it would be the News, General Discussion, or Non-Skating Discussions thread. If you look at the forum index (www.skatingforums.com (http://www.skatingforums.com/)) you can read each forum's title and guidelines. That's a good place to look before you start a thread. Same thing for FSU: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/

Many of the regulars on that board have been friends for years, chatting online, attending and reporting on competitions for years. It's no wonder that our generous board owner frequents those haunts. Well, that and the smirnies. LOL The first-person reports going to one place makes sense and explains why our own board doesn't have a lot of comp reports/discussion. Those posts and the subsequent reads add up to big expenses, hence the fee.

When the competition season heats up, they do lock down certain parts of the site to paying members only. It's partially a bandwidth and troll-wall function. Most of the site is open to anyone, however. It also adds to their freewheeling discussions: since some of the threads are secured, their members tend to get a little racy. Since SF is wide-open and searchable, we tend to "Keep it G-rated." over here in terms of language and discussion. (See Smirnies remark, above.)

Before you register for FSU, check out their membership options and privileges to make sure you'll have the access you desire. Be sure to read the FAQ and Guidelines so that you don't make too many mistakes. (Actually, that's the advice for any board/forum you wish to join. Scope out the territory before you join, and read through the guidelines.)

Noble Webmaster
08-21-2007, 07:57 AM
This is the second year that FSU has required a subscription fee for the competition boards. Last year it was $5.00. This year it is $6.00 (I think).

Sorry to correct you, it's the 3rd year. $5 during Olympics 06 (Though it was free for worlds) $5 last year ($7.50 after 31 Aug) and $6 this year (Rising to $9 after 31 Aug)

Thanks for the kind words here anyway. :)

Bill_S
08-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Since SF is wide-open and searchable, we tend to "Keep it G-rated." over here in terms of language and discussion.

No kidding! I used a common abbreviation for Association (###'n) and look what it does! :lol:

RoaringSkates
08-21-2007, 09:10 AM
That's so true--people may not realize, often during the large competitions there are FSU'ers in the stands w/ a laptop (or something) posting a 'play by play' so the rundown of each program & results are posted in practically real time...

I've done it via my Blackberry, and others do it via phone. When I did it, I lagged the skater's movement by seconds, so yeah, basically real-time.

Of course, when I do it, it's like this:

Skater X, lovely waltz, does a very high... erm... anyway, he should NOT be wearing that shirt. Not flattering, very "flight of the bumblebee", if you catch my meaning...

I tend to leave the technical details to others. I'm more about the overall vibe. :giveup:

This is one of the things I love about the pbp over at FSU. It's not simply a listing of technical details, it's also commentary and program-related snark.

manleywoman
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I bought a lifetime membership over there because I find not only the pbp so valuable, but the international information as well.

littlekateskate, I think you need to realize the economics of the world. Not everything is free. Even NPR asks for donations. It's a valuable service to get the competition info immediately, and $6 isn't a lot to ask for that service.

jazzpants
08-21-2007, 11:31 AM
to which some of you may ask, does Doubletoe do ANYTHING other than hang out on figure skating boards? The answer is no. ROFL!!Geez, doubletoe! I want YOUR job!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Norlite2
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
I cant believe they deleted my post/question.

They didn't delete or move it. It's still there, but locked.

As Stormy says "The mods over there are awesome." (As opposed to the crummy mods here. Thanks so much. :roll:)

I didn't read anything from Stormy about the mods here. :??

But to add one more great thing about the mods at FSU, they don't have any self-esteem "issues"

manleywoman
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
But to add one more great thing about the mods at FSU, they don't have any self-esteem "issues"

:oops: :lol:

Sessy
08-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Last season it was worth my little subscription fee to get real-time play-by-plays of skaters' programs at Worlds as they were happening. . . to which some of you may ask, does Doubletoe do ANYTHING other than hang out on figure skating boards? The answer is no. ROFL!!

Link me! :bow:

Sparkey
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Seriously, if you like ice dance, somebody just posted links to videos of all the junior od's at Lake Placid. There's also video links to senior FD's (top 3). Well worth the $6, IMO! Sure can't get into the event for that price. Or can you?

doubletoe
08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Geez, doubletoe! I want YOUR job!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

LOL! I really do work. . . I just come straight here whenever I'm sick of looking through spreadsheets and contracts and need a mental break for a few minutes! It beats chatting with co-workers about non-skating topics over bad office coffee. :roll:

sk8er1964
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I agree with the others. It's cheaper than a month of satellite tv, and I get far, far more enjoyment out of it than I do from tv! :lol:

This is, though, a better place to discuss skating itself with other skaters, especially adult skaters. Thanks, oh generous one, for skatingforums - and we'll keep a smirnie on ice for you over at that other place. ;)

the old gurl
08-21-2007, 01:15 PM
And how is a newbe supposed to know kiss and cry means competition lol specially when you cant get in there to read what the posts are about.Try reading the descriptions of each forum on the main page...

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/

Oh, and newbies should ALWAYS read announcements and things like Board Business when they go to new boards. That way you get to know a bit about the place before going off half-cocked over something.

Stormy
08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
FSU may not have deleted it; they may have moved it to the appropriate forum. As Stormy says "The mods over there are awesome." (As opposed to the crummy mods here. Thanks so much. :roll:)

Being a moderator of a very well known skating board myself, I have nothing but the utmost respect for mods on BOTH boards.

That said, thanks for putting words in my mouth that I didn't say or even infer.

Isk8NYC
08-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Being a moderator of a very well known skating board myself, I have nothing but the utmost respect for mods on BOTH boards.

That said, thanks for putting words in my mouth that I didn't say or even infer.
Just felt left out, that's all. ;)

vesperholly
08-21-2007, 10:18 PM
So what? It's not the first paid-access board and it won't be the last. It's not the only place to talk about figure skating, so if you don't like it, discuss events elsewhere. It's a privilege to be on FSU, not a right.

Ice Dancer
08-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I tried to sign up for FSU about a year to 18 months ago and my user name was never authorised. I was able to log in but when I tried to do anything it reminded me on that fact! Maybe I will try again after reading this thread it sounds as if I am missing out.

jazzpants
08-21-2007, 11:33 PM
LOL! I really do work. . . I just come straight here whenever I'm sick of looking through spreadsheets and contracts and need a mental break for a few minutes! It beats chatting with co-workers about non-skating topics over bad office coffee. :roll:Yeah, me too! But the problem is... my coworkers won't leave me alone! Right now I have a HUGE QUEUE of projects to get done and they're not getting done b/c of one problem or another. (Most of them NOT my fault.) And unfortunately they also know this beautiful blue screen that is my skatingforums.com board well enough that they just assumed I have "idle time" and they immediately dump MORE stuff onto my plate!!! :roll: :frus: :frus: :frus:

Clarice
08-22-2007, 06:15 PM
AH,HA!!!!!!! I'm not sure from what I'm reading here if it means your paying to POST as well. On any part of the board. But if that's true. Then NO WONDER I can't post or reply,or even log-in.

Dana, are you sure you still can't post? A week or so ago, you posted a "testing" message on FSU and it went through just fine. A couple of us welcomed you back. But the mods moved it to the "Board Business" section of the site, so maybe you didn't see it or the replies.