View Full Version : Boots for Wide fitting

batonstar
08-20-2007, 03:24 PM
I have read various places about the width fitting of Risports - some have said they are narrow and some have said they are wide.

Can you tell me which is right? I don't think I have exceptionally wide feet but I just want something that does't squish my feet too much.

blackmanskating
08-20-2007, 04:41 PM
I have wide feet and I think Jackson's accommodate for width very well. I have never worn Risport so I can't say anything about those. I use Jacksons and I love them. A blade sharpener at my pro shop is flat-footed and has wide feet. He has Custom jacksons with a heat molding and he swears by them. Try to go to a pro shop and try different boots on. Go with the one that fits well. Boots are a trial and error thing. Best wishes to you.

BlackManSkating

Sessy
08-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Starting from RF3 up you can order risport in different widths. I think that's where a lot of the confusion might be coming from.

Also I have flat feet and I thought Risport was very accomodating for that. Jacksons, to my taste, had a little too much relief on the sole, pushing the crease of my foot up to the point of painfulness (slight), which Risports didn't.

Also, I have toes that fold inward, which is good cuz the toes of risport shoes have a pretty sharp tip too. Some shoes have a very wide tip for people whose toes fold outward (like Y-shaped foot, so to speak), but Risport doesn't.

I seriously think you should fit before you buy though. Try skates on and walk around in them. Especially Risport, which is a sturdy boot in itself and requires a longer break-in times than say, Graf, from experience of those around me.
We actually tried to stretch up my Risports when I started getting bumps on the back of my heels. It didn't work. They just bounced/stretched right back into place. So it's GOTTA fit, or else it never will. Try them on first, dont' just order on people's experiences!!!

If you have truelly broad feet you might want to order Edea, which is by the (original) makers of Risport - or so I've been told. Essentially, they're the same as Risport, but with a different lacing system and for a wide foot. There's also pretty little heel space, like in the Risports (as in depth of heel, not width of it) and my flat feet felt pretty comfortable in them and they're sturdy skates as well. But the ball was a bit too wide for me, and for my toes there was just way too much space in the width. It's like, if you've got duck feet you should try on Edea once to see about it.

doubletoe
08-20-2007, 07:23 PM
All boot makers make boots in narrow, medium and wide widths, but the difference is in the shape of the boot. Some have rounder, wider toe boxes (like SP Teri, Klingbeil and the new line of Harlick boots) and others have pointier, narrower toe boxes, like the standard Harlick boots. Everyone always says Jacksons are good for wide feet, but the only pair of Jacksons I ever had squeezed my toes terribly.

cherriee
08-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Not only wide feet, I have bunions. SP Teri works for me. Trying different pairs on is definitely the way to go.

coskater64
08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I have had harlicks and jacksons, I have ballet feet or pizza feet wide across the toes very narrow heel. Try them on, go to a good fitter and pick what works for you. :halo:

mikawendy
08-21-2007, 07:39 PM
My feet are triangles, too, C width in the ball and AA or AAA in the heel. I had to get a split last on my Jacksons to accommodate the difference, as the stock boot I would have gotten is usually B ball A heel (too loose in the heel and too tight in the ball for me. The split last skates have been the first I've had that have not pinched my toes terribly.

doubletoe
08-21-2007, 07:48 PM
My feet are triangles, too, C width in the ball and AA or AAA in the heel. I had to get a split last on my Jacksons to accommodate the difference, as the stock boot I would have gotten is usually B ball A heel (too loose in the heel and too tight in the ball for me. The split last skates have been the first I've had that have not pinched my toes terribly.

I agree. My feet are also more than one width difference between the ball of the foot and the heel, and before I realized that, I had B width boots that pressed in a little in the ball of the foot while my heels slipped up during sitspins. I switched to SP Teri mixed width boots (B ball, A heel), which were available off the shelf, but they don't have quite as much room in the ball as I'd like, so now I'm about to upgrade to SP Teri customs (almost C width ball, A heel). I already got them and tried them on and they are super comfortable in the front of the foot, even with my wide toes! :D

jcookie1982
08-21-2007, 10:46 PM
I have very wide feet and the Jacksons work great for me. My Riedells were medium width and still way to narrow for my feet.

Sessy
08-22-2007, 02:30 AM
with me the ball of the foot and the heel match, but I've got very narrow feet(bones) and VERY big ankles! Just the bones are big, just like on my wrists they are, even though it still looks pretty thin because I don't have any fat on either wrists or ankles by nature. But I notice how wide the bones are when I try on watches, bracelets, etc. Same for the ankles.
I've tried on other people's RF3 and RF2 skates (broken-in skates) and at skate shops (new ones) and it didn't fit in the area just over and at the ankle into the space alotted for it... LOL! But that's probably a very weird problem. And besides it's only Risport I had that problem with (and obviously only the higher grade skates, the etoiles I have eventually made room for it).