View Full Version : Skaters who run

littlekateskate
08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Hey I was curious how many skaters are runners also. How much do you run in addition to skating.. and out of curiousity what are you top 5 songs you prefer to run to! :)

BelleBway
08-19-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure if I can call myself a runner- but I've been running 1-3 miles 1-3 times a week since early May. (depends on how I feel, how much time I have, etc) I run on my treadmill in front of the TV- lots of times, I watch baseball on TV while I run. It's definitely helped my stamina when skating!

Award
08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I run too ..maybe about 3 miles each time. The running keeps heart rate up for a bit, which is meant to be beneficial. Treadmill is just as good too. For treadmill, I just listen to any kind of music, but I never listen to music while jogging on a path etc....since it is important to have all your senses ..eg hearing working to listen out for what's going on around you in the outdoor environment.

mikawendy
08-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I run about 1.5 miles 2-3 times a week when I'm being good; less when I'm busy or not feeling well. I don't wear headphones when I run--I live in the city and I like to be able to hear my surroundings--traffic, other people, dogs, etc.

My house is too small for a treadmill or an exercise bike, but when I'm at a hotel, I like to use the exercise bike (regular or recumbent)--I usually do one of the preset cardio workouts (about 6 miles).

xofivebyfive
08-20-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm supposed to be running 3-5 miles every day for Cross Country, but I'm unable to do that much at the moment. We just got a treadmill so I'll be running for 30-45 minutes 6 days a week. Which will probably total about 3-4 miles.

It really helps my skating, as long as when I run and when I skate are like, 5 hours apart.

Linkin Park songs are good to listen to when you run. I listen to motivational songs like Stand by Rascal Flatts, Soar by xtina, Numb by Linkin Park, How I Feel by Kelly Clarkson and also Sober by Kelly Clarkson is the last song on my playlists for running(I have a 30 minute and a 45 minute one) because it gets me through the hard part of the last 3 or 4 minutes.

Scarlett
08-20-2007, 06:23 AM
In theory, I run 2-3 times a week and run between 4-6 miles at a pop. I have an ecletic taste in music but my "power" songs are Fighter by Christina A. and Black Cat by Janet J. My mileage and time out varies depending on my mood and my crappy work schedule.

Mrs Redboots
08-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Running? Why run when I can skate, instead!

SynchroSk8r114
08-20-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't know how true this is - perhaps some of the serious runners in this group can atest to this, but...when I was younger and seriously competitive, I was always told by my coach not to run as a skater because the pounding of your feet on the ground causes them to widen. I know, I know...I thought it sounded a bit far-fetched, but I can see how it would make sense. I mean, I can understand maybe getting foot pains or something, but widening? Hmmm...I was always a tad bit suspicious of this theory. Any thoughts? :??

Bill_S
08-20-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm right with you Annabel!

In fact I started skating so that I wouldn't HAVE to run anymore for exercise.

*JennaD*
08-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I run about 4km (don't know how far this is in miles...) a few times a week...(2-4 depending on how busy I am). My favourite song to run to is "What I like about you" by the Ramones because the beat is the exact pace I run to (most of the time!) and so it really keeps me going at the end of my runs when I am getting tired!

Muskoka Skater
08-20-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm not much of a runner but I do run alot when I play rep soccer and I used to for a little while would run 1km everyday but that lasted for not even 2weeks. But I agree that why run when I can skate!!

liz_on_ice
08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I run mornings when I can't fit skating practice in, mostly to help keep my weight down. It's sort of like taking my medicine, but I don't dislike it as much as I used to.

black
08-20-2007, 01:48 PM
I used to run a lot when I was younger and at my previous job I used to go out at lunch times and run between 3/9 miles. As a result I have great strength in my legs which enables me to do some funky teapot/shoot-the-duck moves 8-) Now I only run around the rink a couple of times to warmup; skating + all the walking I do is enough!!

I never used to listen to music while running. I was either chatting or quietly reflecting.

blackmanskating
08-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey I was curious how many skaters are runners also. How much do you run in addition to skating.. and out of curiousity what are you top 5 songs you prefer to run to! :)

Hey Kate. I'm definitely a runner. I try to run at least 15 miles a week. I have a weird selection of music. Top 5 running songs are Destiny's Child -- Survivor, Justin Timberlake -- Sexy Back, Ciara -- Goodies/Get Up, J. Moss -- I wanna be. :)

BlackManSkating

wasabi
08-21-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know how true this is - perhaps some of the serious runners in this group can atest to this, but...when I was younger and seriously competitive, I was always told by my coach not to run as a skater because the pounding of your feet on the ground causes them to widen. I know, I know...I thought it sounded a bit far-fetched, but I can see how it would make sense. I mean, I can understand maybe getting foot pains or something, but widening? Hmmm...I was always a tad bit suspicious of this theory. Any thoughts? :??

I'm not sure about making your feet widen, but running -- particularly on hard sidewalks -- is really tough on your joints. I can't run at all because of injuries from skating (the pre-existing injuries make it way too much for the pounding on my joints, especially when I'm already getting all that pounding at the rink!). It's a great for cardio endurance, though it's a different kind of cardio than doing a long program (interval training --which can be done with running -- is better for training long program endurance), and it keeps you in good shape, so it's a tradeoff. I'm on the elliptical for 5 hours a week when I'm at college, and I've noticed that even though I'm still in shape the rest of the time, it just gives me a little more energy on the ice.