View Full Version : This season's compulsory dances

Mrs Redboots
08-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I've just looked on the USFSA website (http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=38711) for next season's compulsory dances, since the European competitions usually use them.

So for next year, they are to be:

Adult Pre-Bronze: Dutch Waltz, Canadian Cha-cha, followed by Rhythm Blues and Swing Dance.

Adult Bronze: Canadian Cha-cha, Ten-Fox, followed by Hickory Hoedown and 14-step.

Now, is it just me, or are the pre-Bronze dances far easier, and the Bronze dances far more difficult, than this year? Just for comparison, the pre-bronze dances were Canasta Tango, Swing Dance, Willow Waltz and Fiesta Tango, and the Bronze were Swing Dance, Fiesta Tango, Willow Waltz and 14-step.

desabelle
08-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm an ice dancer, in canada, but out of sheer curiousity what on earth is the canadian cha cha? The only cha cha I've ever learned is the cha cha congelado. Same thing with the Hickory Hoedown, I've heard the name before but I have no recollection of ever testing or ever seeing it done in canada..8O 8O :giveup:

It definitely does look like a harder draw though, especially with the Ten Fox thrown in there. Ew.

Mrs Redboots
08-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm an ice dancer, in canada, but out of sheer curiousity what on earth is the canadian cha cha? The only cha cha I've ever learned is the cha cha congelado. Same thing with the Hickory Hoedown, I've heard the name before but I have no recollection of ever testing or ever seeing it done in canada..8O 8O :giveup:

It definitely does look like a harder draw though, especially with the Ten Fox thrown in there. Ew.

Canadian cha-cha is UK name for what the US call the cha-cha; "The one with the two-footed slalom", as we say, to distinguish it from another low-level cha-cha that is danced here. And if you don't know the Hickory Hoedown, be reassured - you haven't missed anything! Actually, it's quite a fun dance, but it's one of those, like the Fiesta Tango, with a deceptively simple side pattern and an all-but-impossible end pattern - the lady has to do a LFO 3 when she is pointing quite the wrong way (although some partners, ahem, are able to help you do this others, we will mention no names but a certain person snoring in a chair not six feet away from me springs instantly to mind, aren't), and then a horrendously steep RFO edge while the man does one.

wasabi
08-17-2007, 07:09 PM
The "Canadian" Cha Cha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYCVf24z3I