View Full Version : Discipline,and who comes with you to your competitions

FSWer
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Say,I don't know if this has ever been brought up before. But I was just interested to know who regularly comes with all you On-Ice-Skaters to your competitions? Do you all go with just your coach? Do any of you have friends that come? Do your parents come? ETC. Please include your Discipline.

*JennaD*
08-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I stopped competing a while ago...but when I did, it was typically my coach and my mom who would come to competitions with me :) I used to do freestyle competitions and the occasional solo dance competition.

TimDavidSkate
08-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I just go by myself, its better that way, no distractions

SynchroSk8r114
08-16-2007, 07:14 PM
I quit competing back in 1999, but have since started again as I now skate on my university's intercollegiate synchronized skating team. In addition to synchro competitions, I also compete singles (freestyle and dance) and on the manuever team.

No matter where I'm at or what I'm competing, my coach is always there along with my parents. My parents have been to every single test session, competition, or exhibition since I began skating. Only this past February did my parents miss out on seeing my skate up at Boston University's Intercollegiate Competition...so sad not having my mom there. :cry: She's my biggest support system! She even flew up to Providence, RI this past January along with my dad and boyfriend to see my team compete at Easterns.

miraclegro
08-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Hubby usually comes with, but when i test, only a select few of skate supporters. Afraid i'll mess test up with hubby watching - don't know why!

Bill_S
08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
I've always gone by myself. However, there's sometimes another skater from my rink at the testing rink to talk to while I wait.

I've only tested moves so far.

jskater49
08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I generally only compete when my daughter does and we have the same coach. When I went to the Adult Midwesterns, I didn't want to pay to bring along the coach so I brought my daughter as a coach and she did a very good job. That goes for freestyle and dance.

j

Mrs Redboots
08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Don't take my coach. Always go with the Husband (we're usually competing as a couple anyway), and we put each other on the ice.

slusher
08-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Freeskate. I go with one or two or both of my best adult skate friends. I used to take a coach, but I found a coach didn't add anything for me at competition. My last two test days were out of club and I didn't have a coach, but if I test at my home club they require that only coaches can put in test applications therefore I'm obligated to havea coach at rinkside. On the last one there, my coach sat in the hockey box and watched, but "was in attendance". She knew best to stay quiet and unobtrusive. That's what works for me.

I have much more fun going to competitions with friends. On the other hand, I would never send my own kid to a competition without a coach, it's a totally different atmosphere.

I have little respect for coaches that show up ten minutes before the skater is about to step on the ice and then leaves as soon as the results are up. They don't stay for medals. There is so much intimidation that goes on between parents and skaters as soon as the competitors arrive in the rink and while waiting around for medal presentations that I feel it is the coach's job to protect the skater from that. We changed coaches because of something that happened in a warm up area. Sorry, got off topic.

NickiT
08-17-2007, 10:36 AM
If I compete at my home rink, my coach is there for me, but she doesn't come if I compete elsewhere. In that case I usually go with friends from my club.

Nicki

Petlover
08-17-2007, 11:42 AM
I take my coach, unless it's travel - I'd rather use the travel expense for extra lessons! Also, my husband and I always stay at a hotel near the rink, even if it's my home rink. That way, it's not only fun for him and less distracting for me, but he can come and go from the rink as he pleases. He's very supportive, so the more fun I can make it for him, the better. I wish he would try skating, but he has no interest. Now if he could put a car on ice skates..........

jazzpants
08-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Well, all of my comps so far has been at home... so the cost of having primary coach being there to put me out isn't so bad. As for who else comes... you know... hubby has always intended to make it... but good luck having him there on time to make it. The comps has always been during his work hours except for my one Sectionals that was local, which is on a Friday night and sorta late. But even with that he BARELY got back on time to be there to watch. (He has a 45 mile commute and with the comp being at Oakland, it's more like 55 miles... AND he has a very demanding job.)

But AN... Oh, dear!!! This will be a tough one!!! 8O 8O 8O (I hope he will have more adult students going to AN.) :P :lol:

kimberley801
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I take my coach, unless it's travel - I'd rather use the travel expense for extra lessons! Also, my husband and I always stay at a hotel near the rink, even if it's my home rink. That way, it's not only fun for him and less distracting for me, but he can come and go from the rink as he pleases. He's very supportive, so the more fun I can make it for him, the better. I wish he would try skating, but he has no interest. Now if he could put a car on ice skates..........

My husband is the same way! He likes racing his car, I like skating. I'm not competing yet, but I like the idea of staying at a hotel, even for local competitions. It's nice to get out and have some fun. :)

Rusty Blades
08-18-2007, 04:32 AM
I am hardly a veteran competitor and my first (and only) competition (so far) was a "Pre-Introductory Interpretive" at the Adult Championships this spring. My coach was SUPPOSED to come, since she also competes, but she didn't get her entry in on time. The head coach was going (with one of her Star Skaters) so she agreed to put me on the ice and I shared 1/2 the expense with the Star Skater's mom.

It turned out to be a good move. The head coach is VERY experienced with high level competitions (not Olympics but everything up to that) and she gave me every opportunity to do my best. She looked after all the logistics and created a schedule for competition day so I knew where I should be and at what time, what and when to eat, etc. All that left me free to focus on my program and to get into the right head-space at the right time. Thanks to her experience, I took to the ice for my event with every possible advantage and finished half a point behind the Bronze medalist. (No, don't ask how many were in my group - LOL!)

Muskoka Skater
08-18-2007, 02:02 PM
When I go to competitions my mom and my coach are there and I have friends that I skate agaist as well that I see before and after I skate.