View Full Version : Numb feet in new boots

sexyskates
08-15-2007, 05:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced and conquered numb feet in their new boots. I have new Klingbeils which seem to fit very well and do not hurt me. I was able to bend and do all my jumps, spins and footwork on the first day I had them on (with new blades). I'm tying them tight at the ankle which may be giving me lacebite, but if I don't, then there is movement. I am on the adult silver freestyle level and have not replaced my boots in many years. Maybe I need to tie them differently and or get different laces. My old boots had become large and loose, so I got in the habit of lacing tight at the bend of the ankle. I will also call Klingbeil tomorrow and see if I need to go in to have them checked.

Comfortably Numb

desabelle
08-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Keep them loose in the foot area, and then as loose as possible in the ankle usually with numbness it's because the circulation in your foot is being cut off. If you just started skating after awhile off the ice (especially wearing sandals) it'll take some time for your feet to readjust to the boots.

Another possibility is that you aren't bending your knees enough, sounds really strange and I can't explain why but it happens to me quite a bit!

I hope it gets better for you!

Skittl1321
08-15-2007, 06:48 PM
I had TONS of problems with numbness in my boots. While I was still working on breaking them in, I skipped the 2nd to the bottom hole in my laces (so you'll have to relace them from the bottom, it's not something you can do each time) to help them be a bit loser.

The other thing that helped- and it seems ridiculous, is I started skating barefoot. The difference between tights and nothing was enough that I could go 10 more minutes. My first month or so I could only get 15 minutes. Now I can do about 2 hours before I have to take them off and wiggle out.

My boots, however, are too narrow- so while I conquered the numbing, it's still pretty bad and when I take my feet out of them after a long day I can barely walk.

icedancer2
08-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Is your whole foot numb or just part of it? I once had a pair of boots that if I didn't tie them right in the ankle I could feel this tendon, or nerve or something across the ankle and it felt numb. I think I found that if I padded a certain area it took the pressure off of the nerve and it was okay.

I like those little ankle sleeves, especially when I got my new boots a couple of years ago - I still wear them because they seem to give me just a little bit more support, or fill in the gap between my ankle and the boot and I don't have to rely on tightening the boot so much that my circulation gets cut off...

I guess going over to Klingbeil is about the best solution - hope it works out!

sexyskates
08-15-2007, 10:56 PM
My foot from the ankle forward goes numb on both feet. Sometimes I get a little cramping in the heel, but that has started to go away. Nothing really hurts and the numbness ends immediately when I take off the skates. Of course right now in the hot summer my feet are extra puffy. I have the gel socks around my ankles, but I think I may need a little padding under the tongue. My high instep may be contributing to the problem too. I'll check with Klingbeil by phone, and then go in if necessary. I don't know if I'm cranking the laces too tight around the ankle too.

tidesong
08-15-2007, 11:06 PM
I used to have that kind of problems in my old stiffer boots! It helped for me to warm up my feet before I put them in the boots, and also lacing tighter at the toes somehow helped!

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Always, just at first - isn't that a normal part of the breaking-in process?

Husband still finds his feet go a bit numb in his new boots if he skates too long without re-lacing.

vesperholly
08-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I notice my feet get numb if I put my skates on too early, or walk around the rink in them. They also get numb when I'm teaching learn to skate because I'm standing around so much. Once I'm on the ice, I'm good for 3 hours.

sexyskates
08-16-2007, 08:55 PM
In my old boots my feet would go numb if I was just standing around, but fine when skating. I think that is common. My feet are going numb while skating in the new boots and staying that way. I called Klingbeil today and have an appointment on Saturday morning. According to the receptionist, my feet should not be going numb. Hopefully I can get it corrected this weekend!

herniated
08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
How are the skates now? Hope they are better.

PS- do you know how to get the 'edit' icon off?

flippet
08-22-2007, 11:19 AM
For me, numbness usually happened when I laced the skates too tight across the instep area. And 'too tight' basically meant 'at all'. I had to learn to pull the laces just to the point of 'sitting there', no tightness at all. I only pulled tight when I got to the ankle, and then for the first couple of hooks, slacking off on the way up.

flippet
08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
PS- do you know how to get the 'edit' icon off?

You'll always have the 'edit' icon for your own posts....because you are able to edit your posts, but not anyone else's (which is why you don't see one on their posts). I see the 'edit' icon on everyone's posts, because I'm a mod.

herniated
08-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the info flippet!