View Full Version : Skating and Finances

blackmanskating
08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't know if it is just me, but I am starting to wonder if I will have enough spending money to compete at Nationals this year. I started calculating how much money I would need to travel to compete at sectionals followed by nationals and it made me dizzy!!! I really want to go, but I am starting to wonder if I can afford it. I think I need a sponsor. Hey NIKE, I hope you are reading this. I can do a Subway commercial. "Eat Fresh!!!" LOL I have made quite a few friends on this forum and I would like to meet them and compete at Nats but I calculated a rough estimate of the cost and it doesn't look feasible right now. Is anyone else in this situation or one similar? Can anyone suggest some options to bring some cheddar to the table?? I might have to get a second job to pay for this.

BlackManSkating

Skittl1321
08-15-2007, 03:00 PM
This won't help you get to Nationals- but maybe the money it saves can be put to that use.

I really enjoy working with kids so I bartered my time. In January I started helping with LTS lessons in exchange for ice time. Now I continue to help with tots and teach the Adult 1 classes in exchange for 2 group lessons (power skating and "high" freestyle) it definetly helps defray the cost, and that teaching time is ice time too. I know you're way above me, but doing dips with kiddos, has helped MY dips and eventually my sit spins.

jazzpants
08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Are you thinking U.S. Nationals or Adult Nationals? :??

techskater
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
You may have to decide between ANs and Sectionals and determine where you'd rather be. I know many people who do one or the other, but can't afford both (unless one's in their hometown)

looplover
08-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah I'm right there with ya...I just can't afford to skate as much as I need to or want to. I would be thrilled if I could afford to go four times a week but I only go twice - one freestyle and one public. I just found out there's an evening public I can go to so hopefully it's not too crowded and that'll be three.

I'd love to go to adult nationals and am planning on getting there somehow, but there's NO WAY I can afford to pay for my coach's travel too! (do people ever go there coachless??)

Frustrating!

Anyway you just have to go to adult nationals given your talent and hard work! Somehow there will be a way. (sorry I don't have any useful suggestions other than second job...I have a second job and it's the only reason I can even skate this much!)

Sessy
08-15-2007, 04:50 PM
LOL... The Dutch are spoiled that way... If a competition is like... 5-6 hours driving a way, most adults won't go... How high do you think you'll place? Might it make sense to bail out a year and save up for next year so next year you definately can go?

Just don't do the creditcard debt thing... That's like road to perdition if you're using it to pay for things you can't afford.

TreSk8sAZ
08-15-2007, 05:03 PM
I think many of us are in the same position, actually. Between paying for law school and skating, eating becomes less and less of a priority! But seriously, I've come to the point where I had to choose between taking more lessons or skating more. I chose to skate more sessions. I took on a part-time job in the firm I clerked in the summer on top of my full-time schedule at school just so that I'd have enough money to keep paying for things I need plus the luxury of skating. I'm setting aside a bit of that paycheck each month to go to Nationals. But I took out loans, as well, for school so that helps a bit.

Like someone else said, many people choose between Sectionals and Nationals. It depends on time and how much money you're willing to spend, or how much of other things you're willing to sacrifice paying for.

blackmanskating
08-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Skittl1321 This won't help you get to Nationals- but maybe the money it saves can be put to that use.

I really enjoy working with kids so I bartered my time. In January I started helping with LTS lessons in exchange for ice time. Now I continue to help with tots and teach the Adult 1 classes in exchange for 2 group lessons (power skating and "high" freestyle) it definetly helps defray the cost, and that teaching time is ice time too. I know you're way above me, but doing dips with kiddos, has helped MY dips and eventually my sit spins.

It sounds like an awesome plan. And I used to help out with LTS. But because of my new job, I work during LTS so I can't do that anymore. I work at nite. So I was thinking about getting a part-time

Are you thinking U.S. Nationals or Adult Nationals?

LOL I'm talking about adult nationals. :D

You may have to decide between ANs and Sectionals and determine where you'd rather be. I know many people who do one or the other, but can't afford both (unless one's in their hometown)

I thought you had to qualify at Sectionals before you could go to Nats?? I could be mistaken being as I have never competed.

I'd love to go to adult nationals and am planning on getting there somehow, but there's NO WAY I can afford to pay for my coach's travel too! (do people ever go there coachless??)

Looplover - to be honest, my coach has been my biggest supporter even when my family thought that my skating endeavors were nugatory. I cannot imagine going to my first nationals without him there at the boards. Maybe future competitions, but I really don't want to compete alone. I'm already nervous out of my mind.

Sessy - I don't believe in debt. Debt is bondage. I am debt free and I plan to stay that way. I will not sacrifice my financial status to compete. Nats is important to me, but it isn't so important that I would resort to debt.

BlackManSkating

TreSk8sAZ
08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I thought you had to qualify at Sectionals before you could go to Nats?? I could be mistaken being as I have never competed.

Only if you are skating Championship Gold, Masters, Dance or Pairs. The Open events at all levels do not require you to qualify from Sectionals.

And Looplover, I never bring my coach to Pac Coasts or ANs. I simply can't afford it. I find I'm actually less nervous without them there! Many competitors are in the same place and can't pay to bring their coaches, especially traveling long distances.

jazzpants
08-15-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a decently well paying job too. But my expenses are also high b/c of my training costs! And I'm not planning on going to Sectionals b/c of the cost. (Sorry, Sk8pdx if you're reading this... :cry: ) As it is with house repair costs this year (fence totally collapse a few years back. Just gotten around to fixing it now b/c of security and safety issues...) I just barely able to afford AN as is with the cost of my portion of my coach's airfare and hotel as well as competition cost. :cry: I may have to go on a slow payment plan to pay off my primary coach's competition cost for AN 2008...

We got at least a couple more high ticket house repair projects coming up. One being redo the bathroom (showers, tiles, flooring... thank goodness the bathroom's small!!!) and the other being replacing a very old furnace for central heating/AC!!! ACK!!! 8O 8O 8O

skaternum
08-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I just barely able to afford AN as is with the cost of my portion of my coach's airfare and hotel as well as competition cost. :cry: I may have to go on a slow payment plan to pay off my primary coach's competition cost for AN 2008...Come on, Jazz. You don't need him there! You just want him there. :) Lots of adults (most, actually) don't take their coaches to competitions. You could go without him. Won't be as much fun, because he's such a hoot, but you could do it. All your skating buddies will put you on the ice and hold your tissues and skateguards!

blackmanskating
08-15-2007, 09:12 PM
Come on, Jazz. You don't need him there! You just want him there. :) Lots of adults (most, actually) don't take their coaches to competitions. You could go without him. Won't be as much fun, because he's such a hoot, but you could do it. All your skating buddies will put you on the ice and hold your tissues and skateguards!

Well I know I really need my coach there. So jazzpants, I can relate. I'm hoping that a few other of my coach's students go to nats that way we could split the cost of bringing our coach. That is an idea I just formulated. None of us are going to be competing against one another so I think it would work out well. I'm the second youngest and the only male FS skater. The rest are females, pairs, and ice dancers and we all are in different age categories. (my coach does it all)

BlackManSkating

Raye
08-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I have never invited my coach to any of my competitions, I compete a lot and to pay for her to go would seriously cut into my budget.

One time two years ago my then-coach and three of her kid students were at the same competition I went to. There were both kid-stream events and adult events. I thought it was nice of her to come to watch my skate (uninvited!, just out of interest, I thought) until she presented me with a bill for 1/4 of her travel costs! 8O Thank goodness it a one day event close to home so no hotel bill.:roll:

I immediately changed coaches when I got home.

doubletoe
08-15-2007, 10:54 PM
I have also never had my coach at a major competition. I knew I couldn't afford to pay my coach's way everywhere, so we came up with my pre-competition routine and I trained my husband to put me on the ice (he's better than my coach now!). I also chose one or two fellow adult skaters whom I could trust to put me on the ice and I just let them know what I need in terms of support. It's mostly about the moral support and having someone there in case I need someone to hold my drink or blade guards or run up to the registration desk to hand in my music.

I am very glad I got used to competing without my coach because this year my coach was going to come to AN with me but then had to cancel at the last minute because his father went into the hospital. I am SO glad I had not developed a reliance on him!

Oh, and unless you're skating Championship Gold or Championship Masters, you don't need to qualify at Sectionals so I would definitely suggest going straight to Nationals if you have to choose between the two. You can still skate in Gold or Masters in your specific age group at Nationals, and even better, you'll get judged on IJS if you skate at Nationals in Gold or Masters. It's a very educational experience. :)

NoVa Sk8r
08-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Always worth noting is that Adult Eastern Sectionals is in Wayne, N.J., which is not that far of a hike for someone in Md.

NoVa Sk8r
08-15-2007, 11:30 PM
I have also never had my coach at a major competition. I knew I couldn't afford to pay my coach's way everywhere, so we came up with my pre-competition routine and I trained my husband to put me on the ice (he's better than my coach now!).I refuse to have my coach with me at *any* competition, even the local ones. She makes me too nervous and ruins my concentration. She once showed even though I specifically told her not to, then tried to coach me (I ignored her), and then she billed me for it! 8O Needless to say, I did not pay that fee! :twisted:

I also chose one or two fellow adult skaters whom I could trust to put me on the ice and I just let them know what I need in terms of support.Ah, the benefits of having a pairs partner. Built-in ice-putter-oner. 8-)

jazzpants
08-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Come on, Jazz. You don't need him there! You just want him there. :) Lots of adults (most, actually) don't take their coaches to competitions. You could go without him. Won't be as much fun, because he's such a hoot, but you could do it. All your skating buddies will put you on the ice and hold your tissues and skateguards!Well, you have a point for this coming AN. I want him there on my debut!!! It's been a LOOOOONG road for me to finally make it to my first Adult Nationals and I think Jay deserves to be there with me...b/c it's been a long road for him as well to finally get me to this point... and I feel he deserves to enjoy the moment with me!!!

Besides that, I also need someone to do my hair at AN too and he's good with hair! :halo: :P :lol: And I'm pretty sure if all goes well that he will have 3 other skaters with him at AN, so the burden is lessen... (I was hoping for a 5th guy too... but he's "on competition hiatus" from competing for the upcoming skating season!)

Maybe at the following AN I go to...I will go on my own w/o him... If luck runs well, you will hopefully be back on the ice competing again too...and we'll trade doing "coach duties" for each other!!! :D

doubletoe: I will say though...the year of my first Sectionals was a hoot b/c of the bantering between Jay and my hubby right before my 5 minute warmup!!! I am not sure I've found "the inner Jay" then... but at least I had a lot more fun pretending to be Jay (in "diva mode" and in his Kwan costume!!!) :twisted: :P :lol:

Well I know I really need my coach there. So jazzpants, I can relate. I'm hoping that a few other of my coach's students go to nats that way we could split the cost of bringing our coach. That is an idea I just formulated. None of us are going to be competing against one another so I think it would work out well. I'm the second youngest and the only male FS skater. The rest are females, pairs, and ice dancers and we all are in different age categories. (my coach does it all)Yeah, that's what I'm hoping with my primary coach... that I have at least 3 other people going and that the 5th guy would change his mind and go with us too! But... we'll see!!!

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2007, 08:32 AM
It's never actually happened to me, but it must be a bit awkward if your coach is going anyway, but you hadn't planned on asking him/her to go for you - so what on earth do you do? You can scarcely ignore them while they're there, and I can see there would be bad feeling among other skaters if you tried to duck out of paying your fair share of his expenses....

TimDavidSkate
08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Frustrating!

I know what you mean, :giveup: thats why i dont have a coach for competitions

TimDavidSkate
08-16-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't know if it is just me, but I am starting to wonder if I will have enough spending money to compete at Nationals this year. I started calculating how much money I would need to travel to compete at sectionals followed by nationals and it made me dizzy!!! I really want to go, but I am starting to wonder if I can afford it. I think I need a sponsor. Hey NIKE, I hope you are reading this. I can do a Subway commercial. "Eat Fresh!!!" LOL I have made quite a few friends on this forum and I would like to meet them and compete at Nats but I calculated a rough estimate of the cost and it doesn't look feasible right now. Is anyone else in this situation or one similar? Can anyone suggest some options to bring some cheddar to the table?? I might have to get a second job to pay for this.

BlackManSkating

Maybe to save $ you can take a bus to NYC and transfer to another bus that goes directly to Wayne, NJ. But I dont know any hotels around the rink :cry:

I had to get a second part time job just for skating expenses, it does add up. I also limit myself for competition entries. As much as I would love to attend New Year's Invitational at VA and Peach Classic in Georgia, I have to hold back on it. Sooner or later I would just do Sectionals and Nationals every season and miss out on Halloween Classic at PA.

jazzpants
08-16-2007, 10:28 AM
It's never actually happened to me, but it must be a bit awkward if your coach is going anyway, but you hadn't planned on asking him/her to go for you - so what on earth do you do? You can scarcely ignore them while they're there, and I can see there would be bad feeling among other skaters if you tried to duck out of paying your fair share of his expenses....Right! That's another issue too! Primary coach goes to Adult Nationals EVERY year!!! It used to be the case where Jay was competing too and we didn't have to pay much of his way. But now he's not competing much and, AFAIK, I don't think he's competing THIS skating season. He already did his interp last year as a send-off of being in Group III. (He's now a Group IV.... shhhh... ;) )

And yes, my fellow skaters aren't gonna be happy for me ducking out of the expenses either. When I opted out of going to Chicago b/c of finance and not being ready, primary coach was picking on me about learning to cook to save money from eating out. :giveup: :roll: :lol: (Eating out is one of the few fun things I do in my life aside from skating. I mean I am in San Francisco in one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the US here!!!)

doubletoe
08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
I refuse to have my coach with me at *any* competition, even the local ones. She makes me too nervous and ruins my concentration. She once showed even though I specifically told her not to, then tried to coach me (I ignored her), and then she billed me for it! 8O Needless to say, I did not pay that fee! :twisted:

Ah, the benefits of having a pairs partner. Built-in ice-putter-oner. 8-)

Oh, yeah, my EX coach did that to me once! I told him he had not made it clear that he was charging me, so I didn't pay him, but I kindly made up a nice rate sheet for him (including the cost of attending competitions) so he could give it out to everyone else up front and keep that from happening again. I don't think he ever gave it out to anyone, though. :roll: One reason he's my EX coach. ;)
And my current coach isn't sure what to do with me when he comes to a local competition. At the last one, he was being chatty as I was getting ready and my husband--who now knows my process so well--had to tell him, "Umm, Doubletoe really needs to start concentrating and getting in the zone now. . ." LOL!

Skittl1321
08-16-2007, 12:11 PM
So what's the best way to diplomatically tell a coach you don't want them there? (Unless you know, he just happens to read this post) My coach is charging his lesson rate for the test session, and since it's my first- I'm not argueing, I'll just pay it. But I'm testing again next month- and really, it's money I don't have. My husband can tell me to stop freaking out and hold my guards. I don't want to offend him though, I just really don't want (or think I need) him there.

Sessy
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Blackman, over here in the Netherlands we have so called "campings" - fields, basically, with electricity shower and toiletblocks. You can put up a tent there, even a very big one and even with electrical blankets in there, and live there for a while. It's much cheaper than hotels.
Skaters usually camp out at campings during summer skating camps.

Maybe you can do something like that to push down costs?

blackmanskating
08-16-2007, 01:38 PM
So what's the best way to diplomatically tell a coach you don't want them there? (Unless you know, he just happens to read this post) My coach is charging his lesson rate for the test session, and since it's my first- I'm not argueing, I'll just pay it. But I'm testing again next month- and really, it's money I don't have. My husband can tell me to stop freaking out and hold my guards. I don't want to offend him though, I just really don't want (or think I need) him there.

Wow I was reading the last few posts and I didn't realize how crazy some of these coaches are. Skittle, the best way to tell your coach you don't want him there is to just say it. Tell him that you would rather do it alone and that you handle competitions better by yourself. If that doesn't work, tell him you can't afford to have him there.

BlackManSkating

blackmanskating
08-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Blackman, over here in the Netherlands we have so called "campings" - fields, basically, with electricity shower and toiletblocks. You can put up a tent there, even a very big one and even with electrical blankets in there, and live there for a while. It's much cheaper than hotels.
Skaters usually camp out at campings during summer skating camps.

Maybe you can do something like that to push down costs?

I've never seen something like that here in the US. That would be an option if that resource is available.

BlackManSkating

Mrs Redboots
08-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Our coaches don't charge for attending test sessions at our rink, although we think they should! And they have loads of other skaters testing, so they are going to be there anyway. I don't think I'd care to test without them there, although I'm not quite sure why not. I don't particularly want them at competitions - nice if they're there, but it's not important.

blackmanskating
08-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Our coaches don't charge for attending test sessions at our rink, although we think they should! And they have loads of other skaters testing, so they are going to be there anyway. I don't think I'd care to test without them there, although I'm not quite sure why not. I don't particularly want them at competitions - nice if they're there, but it's not important.

Maybe I'm just spoiled. And I'm pretty sure I'll get to a point where I won't need my coach with me during competition. But I would feel more at ease if my coach was there for my first competition. After that, I would probably be fine on my own.

BlackManSkating

Rob Dean
08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
My coach is charging his lesson rate for the test session, and since it's my first- I'm not argueing, I'll just pay it. But I'm testing again next month- and really, it's money I don't have.

My son's coach charges a 20-minute lesson fee for a test session, which seemed reasonable enough to me given that he's there for longer than that and constrained from doing anything else. Son would be upset if he wasn't there...My coach's fee structure is more complicated, and since we've been doing dance tests, it'd be hard for me to do them without her. :) However, if you decide after this test that you don't want him there, I'd just tell him politely, and wouldn't be shy about mentioning the reason. We all know how expensive this is.8O

Rob

TimDavidSkate
08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Maybe I'm just spoiled. And I'm pretty sure I'll get to a point where I won't need my coach with me during competition. But I would feel more at ease if my coach was there for my first competition. After that, I would probably be fine on my own.

BlackManSkating

That would be a good idea, bc eventually its your own head and body you control, its a good practice to be independent, youll have more energy to concentrate on yourself, and listening and learning about you when you compete.

techskater
08-16-2007, 02:43 PM

I know your coach and if you tell him flat out you can't afford it, he won't be offended.

blackmanskating
08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
That would be a good idea, bc eventually its your own head and body you control, its a good practice to be independent, youll have more energy to concentrate on yourself, and listening and learning about you when you compete.

Tim, that's a good point. Thanks!!

BlackManSkating

looplover
08-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh boy, sectionals in Wayne...that's 15 min from my parents' house and they could finally see me compete.

oof it all gets more complicated but at least I'd drive there and stay with them.

But AN in Lake Placid...

Oh I'm sure I'll win the lottery sometime this year!8-)

doubletoe
08-16-2007, 06:22 PM
By the way, if you decide you want to compete at Sectionals and enter a qualifying event, it might be worthwhile to ask your club if they help with travel expenses of skaters who qualify for Adult Championship events (i.e., those who place in the top 4 in a Championship event at Sectionals). I never knew our club did this, but when I came home from AN I found a letter from my FSC with a check to help cover my competition travel expenses. It wasn't a lot of money but it was enough to make a difference. What a nice surprise!

miraclegro
08-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I am definitely wondering how much all this costs for AN. Anyone give an estimate? I would LOVe to go, but don't have a clue as to expenses. Of course, i would have to fly, and i don't even know where it will be next year.

Any $$ data would help me out!

techskater
08-17-2007, 08:20 AM
It depends on where you're coming from, whether you have roommates for the hotel, how much you budget for food, etc.

For me coming from Chicago, it costs ~$400 round trip to Albany, $250-$300 for a rental car for the week split between 7 people (we usually get a large SUV) so we aren't at someone's mercy for the shuttle and can go to the grocery store, $250/person for the hotel for the week, and probably about the same in food.

Mrs Redboots
08-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes, I can quite understand that for a first competition!

Incidentally, do try and go to a competition as a spectator so you get some idea of what happens. Even if it's just a kids' competition, they're all run on much the same lines. If you're iffy about going to a kids' competition as a spectator, in case people Think Things (isn't it awful how careful you have to be!), volunteer to help out and explain why!

I know your coach and if you tell him flat out you can't afford it, he won't be offended.
Come to think of it, so do I know him and I agree! Super guy - posts on here sometimes.

Skittl1321
08-17-2007, 09:59 AM
If you're iffy about going to a kids' competition as a spectator, in case people Think Things (isn't it awful how careful you have to be!), volunteer to help out and explain why!

That's exactly what I did! It was tons of fun. I helped all the skaters check in and then was ice monitor during the adult skates- it was nice to see what the adults were able to do, and made me feel good about my skating.

Come to think of it, so do I know him and I agree! Super guy - posts on here sometimes.

Yeah- he is a super coach, nice guy and great skater- that's why I picked him, and I guess the best way is just to be straightforward. I just don't want him to think that I think I know best! Since skaters always take their coaches.

blackmanskating
08-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Yes, I can quite understand that for a first competition!

Incidentally, do try and go to a competition as a spectator so you get some idea of what happens. Even if it's just a kids' competition, they're all run on much the same lines. If you're iffy about going to a kids' competition as a spectator, in case people Think Things (isn't it awful how careful you have to be!), volunteer to help out and explain why!

Yeah I think I will try to do that just to get a feel for what's going on. I really have to explain why I'm going to a kids competition?? I think people can get a little extreme sometimes, but I guess it is for good reason considering everything that's been going on in the news lately.

BlackManSkating

jenlyon60
08-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Spectators are generally welcome and many non-qualifiers (club competitions) offer Adult events sandwiched in among everything else.

skaternum
08-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I just don't want him to think that I think I know best!
Actually, sometimes the skater does know best. Especially the adults. I hire my coach to teach me skating, not to be my psychologist. The teaching part happens long before the competition day. There's nothing my coach can tell me in the 24 hours before the competition that is going to magically "fix" my skating. As an adult, I see getting my head together to compete as my job. Some coaches are great at teaching and choreography and training, but not so good at the "head" stuff. Okay with me. I do my own "head" stuff. I've been inside my own head for 42 years; my coach has only been there for 10. I know best how to get my head in the game.

Since skaters always take their coaches.Not in the adult world.

jazzpants
08-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Actually, sometimes the skater does know best. Especially the adults. I hire my coach to teach me skating, not to be my psychologist.Really??? And I was going to get rid of my shrink too!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :lol: :P

Jessi: Trust me! I know your coach well enough to know that if you are frank with him and tell him that you just can't afford to have him there for the second test session. He's KEWL like that... and may even work out something so that you don't have to have him there.

As for me, I needed primary coach to be there for my Bronze Moves b/c I just have a horrible time with passing it and fully expected a retry on the 3rd try at it... so I needed someone to watch what I'm doing and explain why the judges marked me a certain way and take note of what I need to work on next time around. As for the Bronze FS test, well, he's been my coach for years and has been looking forward to this day for ages... and besides that, he's already there putting out two other people who were taking the Bronze FS test and their other respective tests, so it's not like I can AVOID him. :P :lol: