View Full Version : Avoiding skating drama

miraclegro
08-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Okay,

I'm maxed out b/c our rink is so dysfunctional. I can't decide whether to pull out completely from teaching there, or just go, skate and leave. Problem is, i dont' want to come across as an angry snot, but it's so crazy, even if you express a concern, the management is like the mafia and it always comes back on you. Any tips for being involved but not being targeted would be helpful. YOu'd have to live it to understand all the layers.....

flo
08-14-2007, 04:49 PM
After 4 years on the board and as VP of the skating club - understand. Go in, skate fast, smile and leave.

SynchroSk8r114
08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
My rink has so much gossip circulating and that "he said/she said" stuff that I just go in, skate/teach, leave. If someone speaks to me, I'll be nice and talk back, but I really have to watch what I say and who I say what to.

coskater64
08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Ditto, as president (current) and test chair, I skate, smile pleasantly and leave. I e-mail other board members to make each months lists of things to get done for the club. Having recently just chopped off my hair I sneak in a no one recognizes me. he he heeee:halo:

cecealias
08-14-2007, 07:24 PM
miraclegro , i feel your pain. skating is supposed to be for the fun of it (for most of us, that is). Just ignore'm and have fun with the kids!:D

miraclegro
08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys, if you only knew. If there is a potential liability or something you KNOW any other rink would never do, or express it, it is either handled with defensiveness, or if something is said, even with best wording, it is taken and run back to other people and it is crazy! Another coach who has come in and and guest coaches there - she has said she has never ever seen anything like the likes of this! I just withdrew as secretary of the club b/c of the ridiculous mentality, and i withdrew from the Christmas show and one other thing. I have thought about withdrawing from the entire LTS program, but i have never had problems with parents of the children Delta and below.

We've had several coaches leave, and i'm afraid if i stay even if i say NOTHING, something will come back on me. It is a HOCKEY rink, so pucks rule even on a public session. Once you get labeled as a "naysayer" and then they start targeting you to pin things on you that were way out of line. It's like the mafia-rink!

I am glad to hear from some of you all, also, to feel better about this...

teresa
08-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Don't feel bad. I've heard my share at the rink too and most of it isn't true. Just nasty! Like you've been advised, be friendly, skate and get your tush out of the rink. Don't get involved in stuff.

teresa

Mrs Redboots
08-15-2007, 05:48 AM
Happens at every rink. Don't get involved. Don't take sides. Don't make it worse!

blackmanskating
08-15-2007, 01:26 PM
I would just skate and leave. My rink has drama like you wouldn't believe. You can't compliment/congratulate one skater without another one getting jealous/offended. Sometimes competition brings out the worst in people. And I don't have time for all that he say she say stuff. I already graduated high school. It's so bad, the parents get involved in it and it would get on my nerves if I fed into it. So my suggestion would be just to skate, teach, pop your collar, and keep it moving. Don't let people get to you.

BlackManSkating