View Full Version : Repeating Pre-Alpha/One Foot Glides

myste12
08-13-2007, 05:30 PM
This was my first full term as an assistant coach, and I'm amazed at how many kids didn't pass the Pre-Alpha class. Is it normal to have almost a whole class repeat?

Some of these kids are repeating for the second or third time. They can do all of the skills except the one foot glides and are getting bored with the class. Any hints for teaching one foot glides??

I really want these kids to pass next term!

Skittl1321
08-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I haven't seen a whole class repeat a session, actually I've rarely seen anyone not pass (we have one girl who was in my snowplow 3 and then the next session in Snowplow 1, she really needed to go back) but I think our rink is one of those that passes kids on if they seem like they'll be able to handle the next level okay.

I teach adults, so it's a bit difference, but the huge thing I talk about is shifting your weight BEFORE you pick your foot up.

We also play games where we try gliding while spelling words- starting with cat, and working up to longer words. Some will spell as fast as they can, but it gives them something else to think about it- so they aren't overthinking the glide.

Another thing I've done (if their stroking is good) is "trick" them into gliding, by asking them to hold each stroke as long as they can. When I point out they ARE doing a one foot glide, I ask them to try again but to bring the foot to the heel (where we want the glide to be).

It seems they are much harder for the adults to get- because they have to be between 5 and 6 feet long! My adults have been as basic as the kids (many never put skates on before) I've taught, so that's a long glide!

dbny
08-13-2007, 06:48 PM
the huge thing I talk about is shifting your weight BEFORE you pick your foot up.

Good point!

In my experience, bad skates and poorly fitting skates are the single biggest obstacle to passing F one foot glides. When the skates are too big, or don't have enough support, the poor skaters can't stand up on the blades long enough for that glide. Next, I would say that students rush this move, and lift the free leg from the knee, or begin the glide with feet too far apart. Wild arms and looking down are also problems. I have them lift the free leg while holding to the boards to get that right. I also tell them in stages what to do as they are skating: "feet together", "get a solid table", "look through the glass", "pick up one foot".

littlerain
08-13-2007, 06:50 PM
I taught my 10 year old brother by holding both of his hands and skating backwards in front of him. I realize this could probably result in bad posture or bad habits, but I spent maybe a total of an hour over the course of 3 or 4 public sessions helping him this way (and occasionally holding his arms out in the t position and not letting him lean forward) and he's not afraid of them anymore. (I think fear is what stops most people from being successful at one foot glides!) He can do them well now, and with proper posture.

Most coaches at my rink teach it by holding the skaters arms out in the t-position and gliding behind them, which definitely helps with the fear and staying in the right position. Maybe you can ask your skaters parents to help them with this while they practice?

I hope this helped?

phoenix
08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
IMO, the 1 foot glides are the most important thing in pre-alpha--because in alpha they have to do crossovers, which means they have to be capable of edges. If they can't do a 1 foot glide & do it confidently, how will they ever be able to manage crossovers? They won't.

So, yes, if they've got everything but the 1 foot glide, by all means, *please* leave them in pre-alpha until they can do it.

myste12
08-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Thank you for the advice!

A few of the skaters definitely have skate problems in the form of cheap vinyl skates that allow their ankles to flop over or poor condition rentals. I'm not a lead instructor, so I don't want to overstep my bounds and start telling the parents that they have to buy new skates. However, there are a couple of skaters that might really benefit from a good leather skate, and I'll try to mention it to their parents.

In class, I've had the kids hold on to my sweater while doing 1 and 2 foot glides to help stabilize their upper bodies, and that seems to have helped. I also had them press down on my hand to balance and try to hold a one foot glide position at a stand still to get them to shift their weight to the skating side. I've also emphasized that they need to do a good two foot glide before trying to pick up a foot.

They've made some progress, but unfortunately, none of them came to practice outside of class during the last two weeks. If they don't practice, I don't think there's much more that I can do.

If I've missed anything, please let me know! I want to make sure that I'm doing everything I can to help these kids.

Skittl1321
08-17-2007, 01:49 PM
They've made some progress, but unfortunately, none of them came to practice outside of class during the last two weeks. If they don't practice, I don't think there's much more that I can do.

This is a HUGE thing. I was one of the few people in my Basic 7/8 class who passed both 7 and 8 in the first session. Lots of the girls were upset (some didn't even pass 7) and told me "I got lucky". I diplomatically pointed out that very few of them practiced, and that since I could drive myself it was easier for me to get to the rink. Since I spent an extra 2 hours on the ice- it made sense that I was able to master the skills faster.