View Full Version : When do you change your boots?

chowskates
08-13-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm wondering, how often do you change boots, and how do you decide when to?

I have been wearing Riedells forever (really) and usually change boots after 1.5 to 2 years, because they'd start to break down. I used my previous pair of Royals for over 2.5 years, and they were getting way too broken down for me - but they seemed to work well for the beginner lady I sold them to!

However, my current pair is just under 1.5 years old and still has *no crease* - yet silly me bought a brand new pair 2 months ago... which I'm now trying to sell! :roll:

jazzpants
08-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Had a similar question for Rudy over at Harlick and he said that as long as I continue to feel like I have some amount of support and I don't feel like I have lace bites that I should be okay with my boots. (I have a slight crease on my boots and they're going on about 2 years 8 months now... and they weren't cement blocks to start with in the first place. They were quite comfy in fact! :D )

Rudy also said to come back when I start working on doing bigger jumps...

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2007, 05:41 AM
Usually when the coaches take one look at them and say "You can't skate in those!"

Mind you, the fitter will often disagree and prescribe a new pair of laces instead, and perhaps punch them out to make them more comfortable.

chowskates
08-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Rudy also said to come back when I start working on doing bigger jumps...

Which should be soon, right?? ;)
I read somewhere about trying for the Axel! :)

SynchroSk8r114
08-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Well, I recently bought new boots/blades in May, and I abosolutely love them! I went from a Custom Harlick to a Custom Lightweight Harlick and they feel fantastic! They really are lighter...

Anyway, the reason I got new skates is because my last pair, which I had for 8 years, had the tongues breaking down. That's it...other than that, my old skates fit fine, had no creases near the ankle - just those darn tongues. That and the bottom of my skates were beginning to rot because of water seeping under the wood soles and whatnot, but hey! What do you expect after 8 years...I couldn't have asked for a better pair. I definitely got my moneys worth out of those babies! ;)

I'll probably invest in a new pair once these ones start to break down being that my feet are no longer growing. But since I'm so light, I'm guessing I'll be getting quite a few more years (maybe not eight, hahaha!) out of my new ones...

WeirFan06
08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
the reason I got new skates is because my last pair, which I had for 8 years, had the tongues breaking down. That's it...other than that, my old skates fit fine, had no creases near the ankle - just those darn tongues.

Why didn't you just have new tongues put in?? I guess since the soles were rotting too, it was probably easier just to replace the whole thing. I've had mine for 10 years (custom spteri's) with a 4 year period during college of not skating much, and they're still as comfy as when I originally broke them in. I've always thought "why replace something that still works well!!??"

SynchroSk8r114
08-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Why didn't you just have new tongues put in?? I guess since the soles were rotting too, it was probably easier just to replace the whole thing.

Yep, it was easier to just get a new pair. Plus, I wanted lightweight skates and beige boots for synchro since I was oh-so-sick of taping them for competitions.

Muskoka Skater
08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Once I got a pair of boots and I broke them down in less then a year. The people I got them from was so surprised because they were supposed to be really strong boots and I was only 10 when it happened.

jazzpants
08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Which should be soon, right?? ;)
I read somewhere about trying for the Axel! :)
Keyword... trying!!! LOL!!! :P :lol:

I still think my secondary coach is NUTS!!! But I am doing this one exercise she asked me to do though... just so I can humor her. :P

Yep, it was easier to just get a new pair. Plus, I wanted lightweight skates and beige boots for synchro since I was oh-so-sick of taping them for competitions.Of course, when you start wearing down the boots thru doing all sorts of lunges and jumps, you'll probably end up taping them up again just to hide the scuff marks!!! LOL!!! :P :lol:

SynchroSk8r114
08-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Of course, when you start wearing down the boots thru doing all sorts of lunges and jumps, you'll probably end up taping them up again just to hide the scuff marks!!! LOL!!! :P :lol:

Oh, I can't win, can I? :lol: Hahaha, it's true: I've already taped a little section around my toes and lunge area (but I've got a lunge pad now!) just for extra scuff protection...still, it beats taping what used to be the entire boot (tongue included) for synchro.

dbny
08-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Evidently, I waited two years too long! My boots were not the least bit broken down, but suddenly I started having all kinds of problems with pronation on my L foot, then my R foot started moving in the boot. After having them worked on many times, I finally got enough money to go for new ones (wasn't even sure I needed them). I had lost 45 pounds since having the boots made, and I guess the problems must have started at some point after that and when I started being on the ice daily. My new boots are smaller, the blades shorter, and all the miserable problems solved!

jazzpants
08-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Oh, I can't win, can I? :lol: Hahaha, it's true: I've already taped a little section around my toes and lunge area (but I've got a lunge pad now!) just for extra scuff protection...still, it beats taping what used to be the entire boot (tongue included) for synchro.
Lunge pads!?!?! 8O Never heard of them!!! I would love to get them too!!! It would save my nice purple leather from all the lunges I'll have to do for my FS program this year!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

TimDavidSkate
08-13-2007, 07:35 PM
When it takes you 15 wraps on duct tape around your skates - Right and Left :twisted:

daisies
08-13-2007, 07:49 PM
My Harlick Hi-Testers lasted me seven years ... I did have the sides reinforced and the tongue replaced a couple of times, though.

I am now in my seventh year in my Harlick Competitor Pluses, nothing replaced or reinforced. But I currently skate less than one hour per day, an average of two or three times a week.

kayskate
08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
When my ankle starts to feel funny in loop landings. It usually will twist a little as though the support from the boot is not what it should be.

Kay

coskater64
08-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I have been wearing my custom harlicks for 2 years, but one year as a cripple so maybe-- not so long. I recently changed to the Jackson pro-flex, those things are very comfy, it is odd to actually be able to move my ankle, which helps my knee bend, but I am skating very little...preparing for surgery #2. sigh8O

jazzpants
08-15-2007, 12:02 PM
When it takes you 15 wraps on duct tape around your skates - Right and Left :twisted:Oh... so if I have only 7 wraps of duct tape around my skates, it's not time yet??? :twisted: :P :lol:

but I am skating very little...preparing for surgery #2. sigh8O :cry: :cry: :cry: