View Full Version : What do you do for warm-up on/off ice as a Synchronized Skater with your Team?

FSWer
08-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Say, some websites gave me the idea for this tthread.To all Synchronized Skaters. What do you do for warm-ups, on and off the ice? BTW. is praticing off ice the same as warming -up off ice? Just wondering.

SynchroSk8r114
08-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Say, some websites gave me the idea for this tthread.To all Synchronized Skaters. What do you do for warm-ups, on and off the ice?
On-ice: Forward perimeter power crossovers for about 5 minutes, then backward perimeter power crossovers for another 5. We then do Russian circles, footwork drills, spirals, lunges (forward and backward), lots of cardio...stuff like that.

Off-ice: Jogging, jumping jacks, stretching, cardio stuff. Basically, anything to get our muscles warmed up.

BTW. is praticing off ice the same as warming -up off ice? Just wondering.
Not for my team. Practicing off-ice typically conists of walking through our program (arms, heads, counts, footwork, pinwheels, etc.). Basically we "skate" our program in our shoes doing everything we would do on-ice off-ice. This helps us perfect our expression, timing, positions, and so on when there's not always ice time available or to get us prepared before skating at a competition or exhibition. Doing off-ice (or warming-up) is what I listed above: mainly cardio and stretching.

Mrs Redboots
08-13-2007, 05:36 AM
BTW. is praticing off ice the same as warming -up off ice? Just wondering.

No, neither for synchronised skaters nor any other kind. Warming up is like the warm-ups that runners, dancers, gymnasts, footballers, swimmers or any other athletes do - the idea is to warm up all your muscles and make sure you are loose and ready to perform. If you try to skate, or perform any other athletic feat, when you are not warmed up, you risk injury.

I'm not very consistent about warming-up off-ice, preferring to do so on-ice when time allows; when I do, as one has to at competition, for instance, it tends to include - stepping on the spot, running on the spot, swinging arms, rotating shoulders and neck, rotating waist and hips in all directions, and finally finishing off with full-body stretches. After which I go and get changed, then do it all again before I put my skates on.